Thinking of getting a DW Performance series kit. Any thoughts?

SDdrummer1

Not that I've ever been a huge DW fan, but a used performance series is starting to really look appealing, especially since they offer a 24x14 kick drum. I'm starting to really lean towards picking one up as the pricing seems very reasonable. Anyone played them w/ a 24x14 kick? I'll likely be using a 13" tom and 16" kick.

I've owned a Gretsch jazz kit, a Pearl MDX? from the 80's, and loved both of those, but those were 20" and 22" kick respectively.

I would love to try a 24" especially with all the live unmiked venues I play, and I'm not digging the 22x18 size that seems to be common today. Just interested in hearing positives and negatives from others.

I bought a 5 pc Performance a few months ago but not with a 24". Only negative I can think of is the stock heads. They have an interesting sound, not bad, but not for me. G2 batters gave me the sound I was looking for.
Quality is flawless and they sound great. They're easy to tune, although I haven't experimented with tuning high.

I wasn't particularly a DW fan either but I wanted to own at least one. I'm a fan now though.

24x14 kick drum. I'm starting to really lean towards picking one up as the pricing seems very reasonable. Anyone played them w/ a 24x14 kick? I'll likely be using a 13" tom and 16" kick.
I just picked up a '79/'80 Stopsign Badge 24x14 Gretsch ..... which I can pair with my 13x9 & 16x16 Round Badge toms. Great size combo.
Not that I've ever been a huge DW fan, but a used performance series is starting to really look appealing, especially since they offer a 24x14 kick drum. I'm starting to really lean towards picking one up as the pricing seems very reasonable.
Maybe look at this ....... https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mapex/...MI8r-1iczW-QIVnQutBh3VwQR-EAQYAiABEgLdn_D_BwE

6.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Performance series set w a 22” bass drum. They sound great, easy to tune and hold their tuning. Fit and finish are as good as it gets. They sound best at low to medium tuning, but don’t resonate well at higher tunings though.
They don’t have any particular mojo in terms of sound though, but that’s one of the things that sold me on them. I wanted a no fuss, great sounding set for rock and blues…these fit that vibe perfectly for me.

I have a Performance series set w a 22” bass drum. They sound great, easy to tune and hold their tuning. Fit and finish are as good as it gets. They sound best at low to medium tuning, but don’t resonate well at higher tunings though.
They don’t have any particular mojo in terms of sound though, but that’s one of the things that sold me on them. I wanted a no fuss, great sounding set for rock and blues…these fit that vibe perfectly for me.
Thanks. Yeah, I just kind of want something different. It's not like a dw kit is going to sound bad.

Many moons ago I fell in lust with a performer kit at JD Drumcenter in galaxy glitter?..the black with the various sparkles looking like we'll?..the Galaxy. The 18x22 was a cannon..loud..punchy..focused. The 13 and 16 were the same. I drive up to get it and it was gone. I remember listening to a DW video where John Good A/Bd some performance vs the support hoop DWs and for me it wasn't even close. The performance series was the kit. They have some really nice finish options.

That’s a great size. My favorite kick drum is my 24 x 14 Ludwig CM.

Bo has a DW Performance set, I believe. I have played one and it definitely sounded great for the money.
Bo has a Design Series kit unless I am mistaken. We have the same set.

The Design Series is essentially identical to the Performance Series, but built overseas with fewer size and finish options to keep costs down. Based on my experience with the Designs, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Performance Series kit. They have a really nice clean, classic maple drum sound with a wide tuning range. They have some nice finishes, too.

If I upgrade, it'll be a performance series, or the Gretsch renown in the same size configuration. Gretsch is a better value used, but I've already played one years ago and would like something new.

If I upgrade, it'll be a performance series, or the Gretsch renown in the same size configuration. Gretsch is a better value used, but I've already played one years ago and would like something new.
You can't lose either way. Looking forward to hearing about your eventual purchase.

Bo has a Design Series kit unless I am mistaken. We have the same set.

The Design Series is essentially identical to the Performance Series, but built overseas with fewer size and finish options to keep costs down. Based on my experience with the Designs, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Performance Series kit. They have a really nice clean, classic maple drum sound with a wide tuning range. They have some nice finishes, too.
Ah, you know, I believe you are correct. My mistake.

To the OP, I have a DW Performance set, although I have a smaller bass than you are looking at. They are very well built, have a warm, rich maple tone. As others have said, the stock heads are crap. I replaced mine with Evans G12 but G2s are also great on them. The construction quality is superb, and I like the smaller turret lugs.

I agree with the OP, the 18" deep bass drums do nothing for me. My bass is 16x20" and I can it as deep as a vintage 14x22" or keep it higher for smaller venues or jazz tuning. And in regards to tuning, DW uses a finer-pitch tuning rod that allows more precise tuning and (to me) stays in tune longer than standard pitch tuning rods.

Finally, they hold resale value well, should you decide to sell.

To the OP, I have a DW Performance set, although I have a smaller bass than you are looking at. They are very well built, have a warm, rich maple tone. As others have said, the stock heads are crap. I replaced mine with Evans G12 but G2s are also great on them. The construction quality is superb, and I like the smaller turret lugs.

I agree with the OP, the 18" deep bass drums do nothing for me. My bass is 16x20" and I can it as deep as a vintage 14x22" or keep it higher for smaller venues or jazz tuning. And in regards to tuning, DW uses a finer-pitch tuning rod that allows more precise tuning and (to me) stays in tune longer than standard pitch tuning rods.

Finally, they hold resale value well, should you decide to sell.
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a 13/16/24 setup. I will try the stock heads and see if I like them, if not I have aquarian response 2 coated or clear emperors to use instead.

Hopefully I will really enjoy these.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a 13/16/24 setup. I will try the stock heads and see if I like them, if not I have aquarian response 2 coated or clear emperors to use instead.

Congrats! I'm pretty sure that you will like them. North American maple, graduated hoops, STM mounts, True-Pitch tuning rods - it all adds up to a very satisfying experience.

It's easy to harbour a "meh" attitude towards DW then you get a kit for yourself and suddenly you're in the "okay - I get it now!" camp. :)

I like the Performance series. Almost bought a used one myself but the manager at GC wasn't having any part of selling it for less than $800 over it's actual value. He later sold it for $1000 less to someone else, so $1200 instead of $2200 which was same as new. Crazy!

Back