Think About It: With $44B, Elon Musk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick

Silver Member
Separating the partisan politics from the core issue... I think regulating lies and misinformation is impossible, because it is such a common way for humans to interact. It's even built into cultural norms. Often when people ask, "How are you?" they really don't care at all how you are. And many times, we answer "Fine" when we're really not. So we misrepresent ourselves right off the bat. Social media profiles frequently misrepresent, highlighting the positive attributes of a person's life while hiding the flaws. Any time a company PR person says their top priority is anything other than maximizing profit, they are probably misrepresenting. The entire ad industry is built on deception: "Buy this widget and women will find you irresistible." "Buy this pill and watch the pounds melt away." Our elected representatives deceive and misrepresent constantly, and so does our news media. Lies and misinformation are ubiquitous, so if you're going to regulate it, the only answer is selective enforcement, and that will always be seen as unfair, and often the truth is the first casualty. Unfortunately, the best we can do is sift through the mountain of misinformation we will always be confronted with, and find whatever nuggets of truth we can. I think open dialogue is the best way to do this.

Last edited:

jimb

Or he could have given $100 to every US citizen. That's gas money, or food, or a utility bill.

Or he could have donated it to charity.

But yet again he chooses to do something pointless with it. At least this time he hasn't littered space or drilled a hole in the earth. I really dislike* that guy.

*I'm being extremely nice saying dislike

With you 100% and yes before the obvious chime in with "but he creates jobs"...I ask at what expense? Oh and the space rocket thing? Old tech dressed up with Windows 11 and a few other modern chip sets, yet still burning weak and grossly innefficient fossil fuels. Until we find a new continuous power source, which is where the money shld be spent, then its all a terrible waste of just about everything.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Twitter isn't a real place as is not a barometer for anything regarding your 1st amendment rights. Free speech isn't under assault, people are just learning that there are consequences for saying whatever you want in very public forums. Saying some ignorant thing to your buddies is not the same as posting the same ignorant thing on Instatwitface for the entire world to see, someone will be pissed and there are possible consequences. It's all utter nonsense to sell advertising, get clicks, get viewers, etc.
The biggest misconception I've found talking with folks is the belief the 1st Amendment allows one to just say whatever, whenever, wherever, and to whomever they choose and there will be no repercussions. This is a myth. Your employer can fire you for posting something that violates company policy. The protection only applies to the federal government making laws to restrict your right to free speech, not private entities.
What some of you are actually complaining about without properly referencing it is section 230 of the CDA which gives social media companies no liability for what is posted in their services yet they have decided to police their services which is in contradiction to this section. If one has no liability, why police content? If you're policing content then you have presumed to have some liability for what is posted on your service and the rules need to change.
Always remember: it takes a 2/3 majority of Congress to pass an Amendment to the Constitution and then 38 states to ratify said Amendment. The last time that happened was 1972 and it took 50 years to finally ratify the equal rights Amendment because of how controversial feminism was in the 1970s. Also, the last time 2/3 of Congress agreed on anything was when they made the bipartisan act of selling off their portfolios right before shutting down the markets and letting the rest of us take in the arse.
With $44B Elon Musk: Made a bunch of drummers rant and ramble on for 4 pages.

Last edited:

someguy01

Platinum Member
Why weren't people as exorcised when Zuckerberg owned Facebook? Why aren't they upset with Bezos' current ownership of the Washington Post? There seems to be some inconsistency here.
Some of us are and are aware of how worthless all of those platforms have become. The next time they go into space, we need to ensure they don't return.

Superman

Gold Member
Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the “off topic” area? Or maybe just closed?
Why can't adults have a discussion? I haven't seen any name calling, just a difference of opinion. This is exactly what people calling for more speech want, OPEN DIALOGUE. I don't agree with anything Darth Vader said in this thread, but I like him, and I support his right to say it. And Bo you come on here and voice personal gripes about people who insult you on Facebook, so let's not pretend you don't use this forum to inappropriately vent and voice personal opinions that have nothing to do with drums...which again, I support.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the “off topic” area? Or maybe just closed?

This will be one of those devolving threads in a bit.
I’m upset ‘cuz the @Bo Eder avatar has him playing a Zen Drum! 😲

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
I’m upset ‘cuz the @Bo Eder avatar has him playing a Zen Drum! 😲
Yeah, you can actually number the buttons. Easier.

someguy01

Platinum Member
So, healthy competition for all
Is it healthy competition when a someone sucks at business and starts to fail only to be bolstered by a handout of taxpayer dollars? See: TARP
This is why it's not a true free market, if it were large companies would be allowed to fail for doing bad business as there would be dozens of smaller businesses to fill the space left by the failed company as is the nature of a true free market. However, the market is consistently manipulated by the federal government and the Federal Reserve to ensure stability for the small group at the top who hold most of the cards.
Why was Lehman Brothers allowed to fail while JP Morgan got a handout? They both engaged in the same shady activities and got bitten. Follow the shares and the holders of those shares for the answer.

Jeremy Crockett

All I'm going to say is...

F' Musk
F' Ruper Murdoch and his asshole sons

and

F' Trump and his asshole family.

I believe in democracy and IMHO those people don't. Period. Stop That's all. See you in Vegas after 430p tomorrow . Love you all. 🥁
Hey! Look! It's pre-Elon Twitter distilled.

Darth Vater

:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

How do they not "believe in democracy"?
Seems like there's a certain crowd that screeches about "muh democracy" any time anything at all doesn't go their way. Like every weird thing they believe in is lumped into this one generic, misused label "democracy".
You mean kind of like when the election didn't go your way so the best thing to do was lie and say it was fixed/rigged instead of relying on election certification which is uh "democracy". I remember a certain bunch with red hats/orangeface trying to disrupt our democracy eh? :rolleyes:

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Well it is a scientific fact that big tech does and has influenced elections-they definitely influence how and what people are thinking about. Though Twitter broke no election interference laws banning the NY post article on Hunter Biden ibefore 2020 election-polls afterwards indicated 16% would not have voted as they did had they known about Biden's son. So the fears of disinformation actually led to disinformation since Hunter has been under investigation since 2017. We will never know did that change the outcome. I think all the voter fraud is nonsense-but abuses by media abound in promoting misinformation and disinformation. So the Hunter Biden Russian disinformation was actually just Democratic Party disinformation and most likely many knew of investigation was ongoing (since you can't keep a secret in Washington with leaks).

Already fact-checkers have been demonstrated to have bias so who decides what is misinformation. It just seems an ad hominem ruse to disqualify something-like calling someone a racist. No one in science called the Duesberg hypothesis disinformation or misinformation but it was proven wrong. The media infused itself in trying to bias science exploration of potential antivirals for political reasons during COVID-and one has to wonder why when all were scientifically valid to explore-and still are being explored. I think free speech is the best way to shine a light and find the truth-also bad actors feeling free to discuss their views, as so many mass violence incidents , gives us more insights what was behind their bad actions. I don't like bans in general. Nazi's used bans effectively to promote evil. I don't understand why both major parties in US like them so much. Tells me they are both bad.

Personally I think this past election either choice, Trump or Biden, was a vote for the same person. Both old, crotch grabbing, lying, low intellect, egomaniacal lunatics with questionable family business ties . They just belong to different political parties. ROFL. Cmon man-that's a joke.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Disinformation, misinformation, total fabrications, this is what the interwebs have been since their inception. If you choose to get your medical information from a stand-up comic and their podcast, go ahead. If you want to garner your information about the media and big brother from an actor and comedian and their YouTube channel, go ahead. If Reddit is your sole source if information and you live and die by it, cool. (and if you're a Q peep, know that I laugh at you regularly because you're total sheep and blind af) It's not my place to police content. If one can't think for themselves and see that they're being fed nonsense (which is easy to research these days) then that's simply 21st century Darwinism. These are small groups of people who just happen to be really loud online so folks think there's more of them then there actually are. Eventually their poor decision making from their uninformed stances will lead to their demise and we shall all soldier on.
Think for yourselves, think critically, and ffs admit that you don't know everything and that you're wrong sometimes.
If you don't like how Instatwitface operates, no one is forcing you to use those services you can quit anytime. Just like you can change the channel if the content isn't to your liking.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Status
Not open for further replies.