The things my kids say about music...

Setting: Passing a yard sale.

My oldest kid, probably age 12 at the time: "Hey they are having yard sale!"
Me: "Anything interesting over there?"
Kid: "Not really. There's a set of electric drums for sale, but they but they just make sounds. They don't make music."

As a guitar player, my kids grew up with me always playing and watching music videos.

My daughter was 3 or 4.

Me: watching a Clapton video

Daughter: Hey, that's the same music you play.

Proud dad: Yep, it sure is.

Daughter: I hate that stuff... (skips off to the other room)

setting: drumline practice circa 1999

mme playing Iron Maiden as the kids show up for practice

kid: who is this?
me: Iron Maiden (beaming)
kid:: ugh....that is old people music

I was stunned. Had I crossed some kind of threshold I did not see? I was 30. Elvis was old people music, not Maiden....bruh

As a guitar player, my kids grew up with me always playing and watching music videos.

My daughter was 3 or 4.

Me: watching a Clapton video

Daughter: Hey, that's the same music you play.

Proud dad: Yep, it sure is.

Daughter: I hate that stuff... (skips off to the other room)

Brutal lol

setting: drumline practice circa 1999

mme playing Iron Maiden as the kids show up for practice

kid: who is this?
me: Iron Maiden (beaming)
kid:: ugh....that is old people music

I was stunned. Had I crossed some kind of threshold I did not see? I was 30. Elvis was old people music, not Maiden....bruh

I got that back early 2000's when i said i was a Status Quo fan. Exact same response! xD

I understand it. Worst time dealing with a birthday for me was 26. It meant I was over half way through my 20s and 30 was too old to be young anymore. I'm old now but no birthday has bothered me like 26.
Within that year was when my room mate came home from a gun show with a cheap, pre-tuned drum set. What?! I'll kill you if you don't let me play those things.

Me: Now that you’ve made the cut and you’re in school band, and you have private lessons, you need to practice trombone 30 minutes per day, weekends included.
Kid #1: Ok. But only if you work out while I practice.
Kid #2: Sounds fair, dad.
Kid #3: I wanna do that with dad, too!
Me: I paid for your instrument and lessons!
Kid #1: Yeah, and that rowing machine, too. You can row while I blow.
Kid #2: Sounds fair, dad.
Kid #3: Row and blow, dad! Row and blow!

I understand it. Worst time dealing with a birthday for me was 26. It meant I was over half way through my 20s and 30 was too old to be young anymore. I'm old now but no birthday has bothered me like 26.
Within that year was when my room mate came home from a gun show with a cheap, pre-tuned drum set. What?! I'll kill you if you don't let me play those things.
I felt the same way, but @ 25 rather than 26.

There's gotta be more to the story about your roommate going to a gun show and coming home with a drum set!!
Did it go something like...
Roommate to dealer: "I'll take a Magnum .357, 3 boxes of hollow-points, and that drum set"

well, luckily(?), I still am mentally 24, even though I am physically 53. And it is funny that since the Iron Maiden=old people music comment in 99, I have had 3 generations/cycles of students who think 80's metal is cool ,and are jealous that I got to see them live back then. I am currently working with a group now who loves all forms of metal...everything from Budgie to Fleshgod Apocalypse to Fates Warning to DRI is now on in the bandroom during down time

and no pop crap, which is surprising....

My 18 yr old has dozens of Kpop albums, sometimes the same one several times with different artwork.
I say you spend a fortune on that stuff.
She proudly says it's a long term investment because I Will Make My Kids Listen To This.
I say shall I put some Red hot chili peppers on?
She says no thanks that's music for old people.
I say don't you see the connection???
She goes nonono that's not at all the same thing
🤣

I have two boys, 6 and 4. They enjoy watching drum cover videos with me. When the video is done, my oldest is always quick to let me know where I stand in relation to the drummer we just watched.... "Wow, that guy/girl is way better than you, huh Dad?" To which I always reply, "It's not a contest, son. I don't compare myself to anyone but my past self....But yea he/she is way better than me."

Setting: Dinner last night, talking to my youngest kid about music he'd seen played.

Me: "So, was anyone playing the drums?"
Everett: "No. One guy was playing that box that sounds like corn."
That's why I took the snares out of my cajon. Hated the buzz when I didn't want it & couldn't get it loud enough when I did.
No "corn" for this DrumGuy. ;)

I distinctly remember the afternoon when my young niece was trying to impress me with her musical tastes.
She put on Vanilla Ice… Ice Ice Baby.

Me: Nice… Ever heard of Queen?
Niece: What? Who?
Me: I play Under Pressure
Niece: (mind blown)

Well not mind blown… more of “huh…

Same happened when I played Bad Motor Scooter for a younger band member. He thought Motley Crue created that engine sound on guitar first.

The only funny story I can think of right now is when my son was a bit older and was going through his CDs. He came across a Spice Girl's CD and just groaned in disgust.

He said "Dad, why did you ever let me listen to this??" Lol

I said "You were 5! I let you listen to whatever you wanted to. That seems about right for 5."

He was still pretty distressed that he ever listened to The Spice Girls.

Setting:
Boardroom meeting at Polydor Records for the release of another 50th anniversary recording of a Jimi Hendrix milestone album.

CEO-type guy:
What are we gonna do to promote this album?

Random 20 year old Intern:
"Is there any particular hotel that Mr. Hendrix prefers to stay in for when he arrives in town for this album's press releases?"

(I obviously wasn't there in person, but I read about this a few years back. Maybe it's BS who knows? lol)

Last edited:
Back