The things my kids say about music...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Setting: Passing a yard sale.

My oldest kid, probably age 12 at the time: "Hey they are having yard sale!"
Me: "Anything interesting over there?"
Kid: "Not really. There's a set of electric drums for sale, but they but they just make sounds. They don't make music."

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Setting: Work

Kid (maybe 18): I just heard a cool new song I like.
Me: Oh yeah, what's the name of the song?
Kid: 9 to 5
Me (uncontrollable laughter): That song is almost as old as I am!

That must be a thing now. One of my elementary-school-aged kids sang the opening to that song, and I was like, "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?!?" Everyone erupted! Just blown away.

Square

As a guitar player, my kids grew up with me always playing and watching music videos.

My daughter was 3 or 4.

Me: watching a Clapton video

Daughter: Hey, that's the same music you play.

Proud dad: Yep, it sure is.

Daughter: I hate that stuff... (skips off to the other room)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
setting: drumline practice circa 1999

mme playing Iron Maiden as the kids show up for practice

kid: who is this?
me: Iron Maiden (beaming)
kid:: ugh....that is old people music

I was stunned. Had I crossed some kind of threshold I did not see? I was 30. Elvis was old people music, not Maiden....bruh

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
As a guitar player, my kids grew up with me always playing and watching music videos.

My daughter was 3 or 4.

Me: watching a Clapton video

Daughter: Hey, that's the same music you play.

Proud dad: Yep, it sure is.

Daughter: I hate that stuff... (skips off to the other room)

Brutal lol

iCe

Silver Member
setting: drumline practice circa 1999

mme playing Iron Maiden as the kids show up for practice

kid: who is this?
me: Iron Maiden (beaming)
kid:: ugh....that is old people music

I was stunned. Had I crossed some kind of threshold I did not see? I was 30. Elvis was old people music, not Maiden....bruh

I got that back early 2000's when i said i was a Status Quo fan. Exact same response! xD

1 hit wonder

I understand it. Worst time dealing with a birthday for me was 26. It meant I was over half way through my 20s and 30 was too old to be young anymore. I'm old now but no birthday has bothered me like 26.
Within that year was when my room mate came home from a gun show with a cheap, pre-tuned drum set. What?! I'll kill you if you don't let me play those things.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Me: Now that you’ve made the cut and you’re in school band, and you have private lessons, you need to practice trombone 30 minutes per day, weekends included.
Kid #1: Ok. But only if you work out while I practice.
Kid #2: Sounds fair, dad.
Kid #3: I wanna do that with dad, too!
Me: I paid for your instrument and lessons!
Kid #1: Yeah, and that rowing machine, too. You can row while I blow.
Kid #2: Sounds fair, dad.
Kid #3: Row and blow, dad! Row and blow!

planoranger

I understand it. Worst time dealing with a birthday for me was 26. It meant I was over half way through my 20s and 30 was too old to be young anymore. I'm old now but no birthday has bothered me like 26.
Within that year was when my room mate came home from a gun show with a cheap, pre-tuned drum set. What?! I'll kill you if you don't let me play those things.
I felt the same way, but @ 25 rather than 26.

There's gotta be more to the story about your roommate going to a gun show and coming home with a drum set!!
Did it go something like...
Roommate to dealer: "I'll take a Magnum .357, 3 boxes of hollow-points, and that drum set"

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
There's gotta be more to the story about your roommate going to a gun show and coming home with a drum set!!

If he went to the gun show and came home with a huge Pearl Music City Custom (or equivalent) set one could easily draw the lines...