The Future of Drumming Might Be Here Already

Hmm, now I know what Pat Mastelotto was doing on ConstruKction of Light and Power to Believe II. Entertaining demo, Harry. Well done.

You really have your tech together ... looking at that setup all you need is a white coat and crazy hair to be a bona fide mad scientist :)

the wave drum is so cool! i'm going to wait a few years to get it tho, so it wont be 600 dollars

My Wave drum was $420 + tax. $461 landed to my front door. This thing is simply "off the hook". Dare I say more sensitive than an acoustic drum. Depending on the patch you're in, mere pressure on the drum head will make it explode with sound. I could press on my snare 'til I'm blue (or red) in the face, and it won't make a peep.​
Hmm, now I know what Pat Mastelotto was doing on ConstruKction of Light and Power to Believe II. Entertaining demo, Harry. Well done.

You really have your tech together ... looking at that setup all you need is a white coat and crazy hair to be a bona fide mad scientist :)
Please don't think that's me....though I am bona fide crazy hair mad. And yes, you're right about Pat Mastelotto. He has/uses all this gear. Very well. I'm no where near as good...but getting there.​
Free at last! me likee, Harry! ....

I knew you would. My loop station will go out to 4 minutes +, so plenty of time for me to trac. almost anything I want to. Then, a stroll over to the acoustic kit, and I can jam to whatever I just created/looped. An ultimate exercise in schizophrenia.

My Wave drum was $420 + tax. $461 landed to my front door.

Or $900 if you live here.

This thing is simply "off the hook". Dare I say more sensitive than an acoustic drum. Depending on the patch you're in, mere pressure on the drum head will make it explode with sound. I could press on my snare 'til I'm blue (or red) in the face, and it won't make a peep.

Yes, it's a cool beastie. However, a snare drum only needs tuning, heads and snare; no electricity / power outlets or brain work required.

Please don't think that's me....though I am bona fide crazy hair mad. And yes, you're right about Pat Mastelotto. He has/uses all this gear. Very well. I'm no where near as good...but getting there.

Sorry Harry, but where there's a rat's nest of cables involved there's usually someone who goes MWUHAHAHAHA nearby :)

I know this because in the 80s I had a sequencer, drum machine and portastudio hooked up with a range of effects, and the setup looked like Dr Frankenstein's studio. Dunno what's happened since because these days I'm too dumb to set up a rig like that. I had to get our keyboardist over to set up a new TV for me earlier this year :)

Not too many are as good as Pat'. a vastly underrated drummer. Fripp chose him because he has perfect time, and anyone who gets the nod over a drummer as excellent as Michael Giles is a class player.

My loop station will go out to 4 minutes +, so plenty of time for me to trac. almost anything I want to. Then, a stroll over to the acoustic kit, and I can jam to whatever I just created/looped. An ultimate exercise in schizophrenia.

This looping caper is very cool. First time I saw it was a beatboxer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhBoR_tgXCI. I can never work out how people remember which knob will turn X off and Y back on. It's like a miraculous feat of memory to me.

... oh, and I believe you're referring to multiple personality disorder :)

I got me one of those Wave Drum things! So far, I've been really bummed...the headphone jack is so quiet I can barely use it, and I don't have my amp yet (getting it Tuesday), so it's just kind of been sitting there.

Harry,

Any suggestion on what to do with my Wavedrum so I can hear it through the headphone jack? I heard that you have to take it to an official Korg dealer where you bought it, but I got mine through eBay from Long Island, and don't want to deal with re-shipping, etc. Any suggestions would be huge, because I'm not really into the whole electric scene very much yet, and this first forray is frustrating the heck out of me! Thanks, man.

Harry,..Any suggestion .....headphone jack?

You're not the first person to complain about the headphone output volume of the Korg.
Google headphone amplifier. They start at $10.......and work their way up. Certainly, not all headphones are created equal (like speakers), as far as efficiency, and I'm not much of a headphone guy. I own 2 pair, yet can't find either, right now. I was gonna check out the headphone line output also..........guess not.

If I get one I'm going to use a CS reverse dot head instead of the stock one.

Let the great wavedrum-head debate begin! Bwahahaha!!!

I respectfully disagree that the Wave drum represents the future of drumming for many reasons:

Obsolescence
First, anything digitally electronic with a CPU is subject to an obsolescence half life equivelent to the full life of a mosquito! I had some electronic drums in 1978 and they probably are digital junk now. However, my Ludwig drums from the same era are still desirable. Just look at the prices of vintage pro quality drums to see what is truly valued.

Limited Application
Second, this drum will not likely replace traditional drums in the future. The wave drum will have limited applications at best (e.g. movie scores and sound effects). Therefore, I do not see the masses turning to this drum and turning their backs to their beloved DW, Gretsch or Yamaha pro quality kits.

Sex Appeal
Third, many drummers were likely attacted to drums because a set of drums and cymbals are sexy. Just look at the number of views the NAMM posting had. In the long term electronics will not likely have that same sex appeal about them in the way a wooden drum set brings out oos and ahs. (I don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling looking at a 8-track player or a Betamax machine from the 1970's.)

Other Priorities
For most drummers, the Wave will likely be just a gimmic. Most drummers would probably prefer to spend their money on their dream snare rather than on the Wave, headphones and an amplifier. Or others lust for some new hi hats, cases, a cymbal, etc.

So I don't think the Wave represents the future of drumming; its just another drumming innovation. Time will tell if we will see version II, III or even IV of the Wave; I doubt this drum, in this configuration will be around for very long. That said, I liked the demo. I learned something new today; thanks for sharing. However, now I will go and play one of my hand made, wooden drums.

Respectfully

GJS

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree that the Wave drum represents the future of drumming for many reasons:

Time will tell if we will see version II, III or even IV of the Wave; I doubt this drum, in this configuration will be around for very long. That said, I liked the demo. I learned something new today; thanks for sharing. However, now I will go and play one of my hand made, wooden drums.

Respectfully

GJS

Actually, this is version II, version I was originally released in 1994. Another fact you might not be aware of, but Roland is the largest drum manufacturer in the world. And they don't make acoustic drums, at all. And, they're a fairly new company, as well, established in 1972. Korg also dates back to 1972. This info, you might know if you were a synthesizer player. Most drummers, the only things they know about synthesizers, is Moog ... and ARP.​
Remember when the first Japanese kits (stencile kits) came out. Back in the 60's. Well, then again, maybe you're not that old. No one imagined those same companies would be making drums like the Starclassic, Reference, and Phoenix. But.....there they be.​
Certainly, no e-kit enforcement agency is gonna come around and round up and confiscate our acoustic kits. Certainly, not in my lifetime. But, quite a few of us already own acoustic and electric kits. And one of my e-kits does date back to the 80's. A Tama Techstar TS-305.​
The other thing to note, is how many people on this forum find it hard, if not impossible, to practice on an acoustic kit, givin' their living situation. Wives, girlfriends, roommates, neighbors, apartment living, etc. With the world becoming more, not less crowded, e-kit sales will continue to feed the demand. And the technology will continue to improve.​
Yes, this drum, in this configuration, will only last until a better one comes out. Gimmic, I don't think so. Not when cats like Will Calhoun, Danny Carey, Pat Mastelotto.....our very own Gavin Harrison (Korg Wave Drum ver. I next to his elbow) use them. I'm not "predicting" that drummers will abandon, or turn their backs, on acoustic drums. I'm "observing" that more and more drummers are using these tools, the Wave Drum, the Mandala, the SPD-S.​
I'll probably own my Ludwig kit 'til I die. But I'll probably also own my Wave Drum and my SPD-S that long, too. And my loop station. Gawd knows what else I might pick up, on my journey.​
picture below...Gavin H. and his Korg​

Attachments

• studio3.jpg
    studio3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 686
Just how far into the future are we thinking? I tend to think in centuries. Therefore the Wave drum is a moot point. Who will be using that in 2350?

Just how far into the future are we thinking? I tend to think in centuries. Therefore the Wave drum is a moot point. Who will be using that in 2350?

Well. I tend to not think in centuries. Probably safe to say, 340 years from now, acoustic drums (as we know them), will be passe as well....and we will all be "moot points".

Well. I tend to not think in centuries. Probably safe to say, 340 years from now, acoustic drums (as we know them), will be passe as well....and we will all be "moot points".

Interesting idea. Will all tribes be technical? Will the djembe be electronic? The future is unknown. Could Baby Dodds have forseen blast beats?

Back