The DW 9000 pedal is awesome! How about the DW 9000 hat stand?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Since the hi-hat stand stand actually has a pedal attached, I guess this subject goes here, right?

Ok, so I'm a DW 9000 fanboy, but I've never given a whole lot of thought to the DW 9000 hat stand.

For those that have it or have used it, what do you think? Worth the price of admission?

Thanks!

I’ve got one, I don’t really like it because of the cam. It’s difficult to describe but the pedal action is a bit slower when you first lift your foot. It’s fine and if I used it regularly I’d get used to it again but I like my 5000 better, or any hat stand with a more linear, natural action.

I love my 9000 hi hat! I also use and love the 9000 cable hi hat, too.
I like the extra range of the spring tension. The action is smooth, and they're built like tanks!
It's so nice to be able to change the cable with just a drumkey!
You dig, Pearl!
Pricey? Yes, but worth every penny!
I would check out the footboard angle before you buy due to the lack of angle adjustment. That might be an issue.

It’s nice - the over-engineering involving that chain cam - I understand why they did that. It gives you the option to use different ways. But I’m not sure it’s worth the $400 it sells for. It’s nice and heavy though so it’ll last forever.

I really like my DW 9000 hi-hat stand. I've had it since 2011, it's the three legged version and it hasn't really left me wanting for anything else, though I've never tried a 5000 hi-hat stand so I can't make a comparison. The 9000 is the first hi-hat stand I ever bought and I've just stuck with it. And maybe I'm just used to it, but it's kinda like a part of my body now. It's very smooth and it just does whatever I think up with not much effort.

So for mind and hat stand connection and the fact that it easily handles the extra weight of my big 18" inch hi-hat cymbals, I'm satisfied with it.

Last edited:
I've tried them both and much prefer the direct pull of the 5000.

The 9000 always felt a little disconnected to me, and I've never felt I needed the extra leverage. The footboard also feels like it's at a higher angle than the pedal (which I definitely don't want), and the toe stop makes the footboard feel extra small. I have none of those issues on my 5000 hihat stands.

I've tried them both and much prefer the direct pull of the 5000.

The 9000 always felt a little disconnected to me, and I've never felt I needed the extra leverage. The footboard also feels like it's at a higher angle than the pedal (which I definitely don't want), and the toe stop makes the footboard feel extra small. I have none of those issues on my 5000 hihat stands.
I forgot about the toe stop on the 9000! I removed that pretty quickly after my first attempts testing it out with it installed, it definitely wasn't for me and got in the way more than anything.

I had one and sold it. Mainly cause it was a 3 leg and I wanted a 2 leg. It is REALLY heavy. I would not want to use it to gig with because I wouldn't want to lug it around. It's well made, but doesn't do anything that one half its price can't. I'm now using a Mapex Falcon and prefer it.

I got it when I got the 9000 BD pedal to match.

Took a bit of getting used to after having only the 5000 for years, but it doesn't matter now.

I don't really care to much about the rest of the kit, but heavy pedals are a comfort thing for me and worth it.

I’ve got one, but I like my 5000 better, or any hat stand with a more linear, natural action.
Neil Peart had 9000 pedals, but kept his 5k hi-hat stand. I assume it was for the same reason stated above.

I have DW9000 extended footboard version.
It’s a great hi hat stand. But it still plays 2nd fiddle to my Pearl eliminator Redline stand. It’s just not as study as the pearl and the action not as smooth.

but that’s not picky

I've got the DW5000 kick pedal; not the same as the one I had before with the red plate. It's all metallic looking. My hi hat pedal/stand is Gibraltar, I think.

It annoys me that the pedals don't match.

Is there any functional difference between the kick pedal I've got and the old one?

Back