The Duallist Single Double pedal

Cr@ig

Hey Guys,

This is my first post/thread on this ACE forum =D

I've tried a few 'normal' double bass pedals, but they've never agreed with me-My left foot doesn't like playin a bass drum lol
I've just discovered this pedal:
http://www.theduallist.com/double.html

Has anybody had any experience with this pedal? Or a pedal similar? Or should i just keep trying with a normal double bass pedal? Is it just practise?

Thanks Craig =]

Last edited:
There is/was a big thread on the duallist, there are a couple of forums users that have one (deathmetalconga is one IIRC). Try searching, I'm sure you will find a lot of information on here.

Hey Guys,

]Or[/I] should i just keep trying with a normal double bass pedal? Is it just practise?

I want to ask you, how long have you been playing? How much time have you spent on a normal double pedal? What are you looking to accomplish as far as double bass?

And yes, practice is pretty much the answer to most(if not all) problems you may be having. I try to avoid the "gimmickey" looking products that promise "Better Results In No Time Flat!!!" or testimonials from some "pro". I d say hold off for now. But its YOUR money so you can say "forget YOU dirtrider", and maybe you will end up loving it. I mean really, what do I know? Just my opinion. Either choice you make, I wish you the best.

Everyone is bad on the double bass when they first start. Buy the normal double bass and practice, a lot. You'll be speeding in no time!

Yep.....practice, practice, practice. It is very frustrating as we all know.

Here is some food for thought:

What would happen say, in the future you are playing a show away from home and your new pedal decides to break on you? What are the odds that the back-line has your pedal? Not very good.

I guess you could always buy 2 pedals and have a spare.

In any case, I would encourage you to get that other foot working. You will be surprised at how much it will add to your depth of knowledge in the future. Remember, we only have two feet and two hands, to remove any of them from reaching their potential should be a crime.

If you want to do double-bass, you could go for the best [and most extreme] approach I know. Set your kit up lefty and play the bass drum primary with your left foot and the hi-hat with your right. Basically, flip *everything*. After all, ambidexterity is what you're going for with double bass. Start off with learning to play lefty, then, once you're up to speed with that, flip your kit back normal and try to play double-bass. A less-extreme (but what I think is also less-effective) approach would be to play single bass patterns with only the left foot of the double-bass pedal, and also alternate "right-left" of single bass parts.

Above all, DO NOT SACRIFICE ACCURACY FOR SPEED. That is the cardinal rule of learning complex techniques. And yes, double-bass is an advanced technique. Just as in constructing a building, be sure you build the ground floor before you try to build the upper levels.

Hey Guys,

This is my first post/thread on this ACE forum =D

I've tried a few 'normal' double bass pedals, but they've never agreed with me-My left foot doesn't like playin a bass drum lol
I've just discovered this pedal:
http://www.theduallist.com/double.html

Has anybody had any experience with this pedal? Or a pedal similar? Or should i just keep trying with a normal double bass pedal? Is it just practise?

Thanks Craig =]

I have been playing The Duallist for more than two years - it's clearly the most controversial piece of gear ever made.

How long have you been playing drums? I recommend you become proficient at single-pedal playing before you get a Duallist. It take a very well-developed foot to control. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a beginning player, but I wouldn't recommend double pedals for a beginner either.

Assuming you have good right-foot skills, the Duallist will unlock all kids of abilities you didn't know you had. Double pedals will allow you to do some things you can't with a Duallist, but you will have to devote many, many hours of practice that you could devote to other things, and really, the uses for dual beaters in most genres are pretty limited. Also, a Duallist frees up your left foot for percussion, hihat work, etc.

Back