The Drumeo Neil Peart Social Media Blitz...

danondrums

I can't help but be a little disturbed over all the Neil Peart videos Drumeo is blasting on social media. I know it's the kind of thing that would have made Neil feel uncomfortable at the very least, and perhaps it might have even caused some stronger emotions of disappointment in him (referencing his feelings about Portnoy's project of Rush covers that Neil did not immediately embrace). Perhaps it's a fine celebration of his drumming, but at the same time, it's definitely not a tribute to him as a person and I find it disappointing that this is going on.

That's all...

Last edited:

PaisteGuy

Can You provide a link to an article that states Neil’s dislike of Portnoy’s Rush Covers Project. I’ve searched, but cannot find anything. Also, I don’t see an issue with celebrating Neil’s drumming contributions to music. There are some on this forum that don’t like him or his drumming, however, there are many (myself included) that have been influenced by His Drumming.
Drumeo is an online Drum lessons provider and as such, they don’t delve into the personal aspects of the drummers they showcase, but concentrate on their drumming contributions overall.

danondrums

Can You provide a link to an article that states Neil’s dislike of Portnoy’s Rush Covers Project. I’ve searched, but cannot find anything. Also, I don’t see an issue with celebrating Neil’s drumming contributions to music. There are some on this forum that don’t like him or his drumming, however, there are many (myself included) that have been influenced by His Drumming.
Drumeo is an online Drum lessons provider and as such, they don’t delve into the personal aspects of the drummers they showcase, but concentrate on their drumming contributions overall.
Not much on the internet these days about it. I know that Neil did eventually warm up to Mike Portnoy and apologized for this remarks, but at the time of the tribute album's release Neil said something along the lines of "bar bands profiting from our music." I've been a fan of prog and Rush and Dream Theater for more than 30 years so am pretty in tune with the histories.

My hypothesis is that Drumeo waited until Neil's passing to do this because I don't think Neil would have appreciated this. Purely conjecture of course based on past history, reading all of Neil's books and just kind of understanding how public adoration made him feel uncomfortable. It would have been interesting for this marketing plan of Drumeo's to come about while Neil was still with us. I get that they are an instructional group, but they do pay to have these videos promoted on social media so to ignore that this is also about marketing is a little off.

Edit: Although contrary to my understanding above, this article lists the event as a complete misunderstanding... https://dreamtheater.fandom.com/wiki/Mike_Portnoy

Last edited:

s1212z

I haven't seen the videos to comment. On the same token, I wonder how Buddy would have really felt about the Burning for Buddy project though the interviews of personal colleagues thought he would have liked it but who really knows....they also said he was a complicated man. I remember when Neil retorted a letter when Vol 2 had a poor review in Modern Drummer, he seemed genuinely hurt and stressed over it. Neil is not Buddy though and getting super fame as a drummer is a high standard to live up to.

danondrums

I haven't seen the videos to comment. On the same token, I wonder how Buddy would have really felt about the Burning for Buddy project though the interviews of personal colleagues thought he would have liked it but who really knows....they also said he was a complicated man. I remember when Neil retorted a letter when Vol 2 had a poor review in Modern Drummer, he seemed genuinely hurt and stressed over it. Neil is not Buddy though and getting super fame as a drummer is a high standard to live up to.
That's a pretty interesting point on the Buddy tribute. Perhaps Neil would be softer to those types of recreations if he were still with us into his older years.

I did dig deeper into the Neil/Bar Band comment and found some interesting things. Seems it was more of a comment regarding the label Magna Carta, and that perhaps Neil didn't know exactly who was on the album. Geddy addressed it in an interview with "steve" here - http://www.2112.net/xanadu/articles/working_man_tribute.htm

Also, Steve Morse was asked about the tribute in an interview and had this to say: I know Neil a little bit after having toured with them. We all have a different take on tribute albums. To me, coming from a bar band, literally, most of my life, I think it's cool when people do tribute tunes about the Dregs, or Purple.....especially if they write something that sounds similar, but do give credit to it being "inspired by...." Neil is a very down to earth, nice guy. I know that, and can only surmise that he just sees it as a way to sell records with their name (Rush) on it. Neil may just be categorically against the concept of doing another band's material, indeed using their fame as an angle to justify and sell the recording. Me personally, I think it's more of that, than him hating that particular record........If there was any cash to be cashed in on regarding that recording, would you mind telling everyone that they must have lost my address.....just kidding, a little...nobody went shopping for cars with the session fees, I'm sure...

Definitely was a bit of a misunderstanding, but I'd say there's definitely a shred of truth to the notion that Neil said some negative things about the Working Man Tribute when he first heard of it. That being said, I know they buried that hatchet a long, long time ago and Neil and Mike went on to become friends...

In rereading my initial post here, perhaps I could/should have worded it differently.

Thin Shell

I don't think Neil would have minded in the least. Neil was uncomfortable with adoration when it was during a personal interaction with someone. Especially if it was someone he didn't know. He was shy but once he felt comfortable, as many friends of his have said, he would talk your ear off. He was very verbose in his videos and during interviews with people he was comfortable with.

In his books and in several videos he talks about how much he enjoyed talking to people he would meet on the road while he touring on his motorcycle. As long as they didn't know who he was he was fine. The rabid fanboy was what made him uncomfortable. He didn't mind being admired for his drumming, he just didn't like strangers heaping praise on him for it.

He was voted top rock and prog drummer in MD for decades and that never seemed to be a problem for him. He had a close enough relationship with MD that if he had a problem with it, and asked them to take him out of the running they would have. He contributed content to MD for years and even held contests to give away most of his drum sets.

Of course there were the weird interactions such as receiving a call from the fan who had left a couple of beers outside his motel room, them calling his hotel phone expecting to be invited in to chat. The stranger who forced his way on his bus, another who was waiting in his dressing room. The people who would follow his tour bus for miles and the mentally ill woman who felt they were connected.

After his family died, he shied away from fan interaction and interviews even more because he didn't want people to keep offering condolences, thus continuing to open the wound.

I knew a bit about his personal life before he died, but afterward, Audible made all of his books free for several weeks so I picked them up and listened to them over the next couple of months. He really bared his soul on a lot of topics in those books, so he was OK with that as long it was on his terms.

Yeah, I think Neil would have been fine with it.

Icetech

Gold Member
I searched YouTube and found two Drumeo videos related to Peart from the last 12 months ... "Breaking Down 5 Iconic Neil Peart Licks" and "The Genius of Neil Peart."

Hardly a "social media blitz."

I watched the genius of peart video the other night, REALLY enjoyed it.. and thought the guy doing the video did a great job :)

Reactions: Tob

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Can You provide a link to an article that states Neil’s dislike of Portnoy’s Rush Covers Project. I’ve searched, but cannot find anything.
It was published in Modern Drummer Magazine. I don't recall if it was ever posted online, but I remember reading it.
Neil was pretty brutal in his comments, calling the album's performers a "bar band" and trashing the album as a concept.

Mike Portnoy (who appeared on many of the tracks) wrote to Modern Drummer defending the album, and the magazine published Mike's letter.

I also recall Neil later recanted his comment when he realized who was actually ON the album and that it was name musicians and not unknown players trying to cash in on the Rush name.

Neil later met Mike Portnoy and they cleared the air and became friends.

I can't help but be a little disturbed over all the Neil Peart videos Drumeo is blasting on social media. I know it's the kind of thing that would have made Neil feel uncomfortable at the very least, and perhaps it might have even caused some stronger emotions of disappointment in him

I don't much agree.

And also, Facebook algorithms show different people different posts and different frequencies of sponsors' posts depending on your browsing history.

IE Drumeo is NOT blasting Neil Peart all over the internet. However, Facebook is making sure you are seeing the few posts Drumeo has made because Facebook believes you really, really will want to see said posts, and hence they are just showing up in your feed over and over again.

RickP

Gold Member
Canadians (I am one by the way) have a great affection for Mr Peart. Neil is considered a hero in Canada and his passing hit very hard . I completely get where Drumeo is coming from with their tributes to Neil , I only question their timing . Maybe their mindset is to keep Neil’s spirit alive ? Who know ?

danondrums

Canadians (I am one by the way) have a great affection for Mr Peart. Neil is considered a hero in Canada and his passing hit very hard . I completely get where Drumeo is coming from with their tributes to Neil , I only question their timing . Maybe their mindset is to keep Neil’s spirit alive ? Who know ?
Perhaps my own disdain for marketing clouds my judgement, but it just seems like pure marketing to me. A way to get social engagement and subscribers. But, to the counter-point that's what every business has to do so I should try to soften my anti-marketing view in general. It's interesting scanning through the comments under the posts which are a mixed bag of positive and negative.

To others point above, a lot has to do with social media algorithms so it's not necessarily a blitz for everyone, but it is for those who probably have Rush and Neil tied to their digital footprint.

I'll say that the Modern Drummer tribute, where they helped in starting a scholarship and had a component of giving back to the community felt more genuine if the effort was to keep "the spirit alive." I've been a huge fan of Rush and Neil my whole life, and read his books when they were released, followed his disappointments when the internet ruined his private pen-pal relationship with fans that wrote to him. I know I've been disagreed with in this thread, but I still stand by my hypothesis that Neil would not have looked positively on the videos and that the reason they are timed as such is a combination of capitalizing on his passing and the knowledge that Neil would not have appreciated it. I get that Neil was sort of bigger than life in personality, but Drumeo has never taken such an approach to emulate a drummers drumset and bring in a guy that seems to be dedicated to the job of covering Neil's body of work.

Perhaps this is more related to my dislike of the internet algorithms than Drumeo specifically. If those videos were on youtube for me to find on my own, I wouldn't have a single negative thing to say. I probably just don't like when an algorithm puts something in my face I don't want to see...

Icetech

Gold Member
No, because Dave Grohl is alive and can voice his own opinion on them.

So when someone dies, no one should ever make a fan video about them? or a tribute or documentary?

Also... all they did was break down some drum parts from his songs... so if the original artist isn't alive we shouldn't dissect their work? just forget they existed?

For anyone that hasn't seen this oh so offensive video here you go...

P.S. i just went through the whole video again.. there is no product placement, not a single mention of drumeo other than the normal "Like and subscribe" (unless i missed something else) So... do you hate being reminded someone is dead? Hate when people show how to play drum parts of a dead drummer? or just have no idea why you posted this to start with?

Last edited: