THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think the method would work with that tool and bit, but I would do it from the inside. Any slippage and you ruin something
He does do it from the inside, and shows how to do it with a rasp also. It also covers 2 other type of vent holes. It was much more informative than I expected.

Old Dog new Cans

For anyone that has done resto work on a Premier kit: What size is the air vent and how did you go about removing/replacing it since it goes through the "P" on the badge?
I am looking to wrap my kit in the near future and this is the only thing that has me slightly perplexed. I could just wrap around it, but that would make me insane within a few weeks.

Well, I could NOT find any vent/grommets ANYWHERE that were the same size. So, I drilled out the P just a hair. I bought 3/8" vents--the press in kind from drumfactorydirect.com And I also used this method.

Yes, I used a hammer inside my drum shells! Holy crap, I was just waiting for something to crack. I did a better job than the dude in the video.

someguy01

Well, I could NOT find any vent/grommets ANYWHERE that were the same size. So, I drilled out the P just a hair. I bought 3/8" vents--the press in kind from drumfactorydirect.com And I also used this method.

Yes, I used a hammer inside my drum shells! Holy crap, I was just waiting for something to crack. I did a better job than the dude in the video.

Thank you for this!
And thanks to the rest of you for all the other great tips!

Old Dog new Cans

To amend what GD said, I definitely use a regular bit when I do this. And I drill from the outside. I take my time, it's not TOO scary. ?

someguy, lmk if you need any help

Old Dog new Cans

So I ordered some copper sparkle wrap from Jammin' Sam today. I could not get exactly what I wanted, because what I wanted was just too much for me to handle. I wanted something along the lines of champagne. Precision's Bermuda sand would have ran me $690 for 3 drums Uhhhhhh And Gary called me. He was frank, "its expensive". They use real copper and silver flake to make it. I also considered buying full sheets from drummaker.com. But a member mentioned problems he had heard, I did some searching. That didn't sound completely safe. I also considered some tangerine sparkle and glass glitter etc. Finally came to copper sparkle. I wanted something vintage, I'm starting a Slingerland resto-mod project. I've seen actual Slingys with champagne, and they looked spectacular. Copper will work nicely.

1608430336885.png

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
So I ordered some copper sparkle wrap from Jammin' Sam today. I could not get exactly what I wanted, because what I wanted was just too much for me to handle. I wanted something along the lines of champagne. Precision's Bermuda sand would have ran me $690 for 3 drums Uhhhhhh And Gary called me. He was frank, "its expensive". They use real copper and silver flake to make it. I also considered buying full sheets from drummaker.com. But a member mentioned problems he had heard, I did some searching. That didn't sound completely safe. I also considered some tangerine sparkle and glass glitter etc. Finally came to copper sparkle. I wanted something vintage, I'm starting a Slingerland resto-mod project. I've seen actual Slingys with champagne, and they looked spectacular. Copper will work nicely.

View attachment 99110
Beautiful finish!
I'm not a fan of wraps, but this one would sell me.

Old Dog new Cans

Beautiful finish!
I'm not a fan of wraps, but this one would sell me.

Thanks! However, the copper sparkle I received from Sam's is NOTHING like that at all. It's actually what I think "Gold Sparkle" should look like. It's very champagne-y, minus some of the great depth of color in champagne. He's no longer selling it on his site. At least it's no longer listed. No idea why.

drumr386

Farting around with a surplus drum...
Excellent video and build. Those earlier PDP’s are really nice drums for the price, I foolishly sold a Platinum kit and that has been my one that I should not have let get away. That aside, really decent sounding snom for what you went into it with, I think you accomplished what you wanted. Really nice kit overall and playing too!

roncadillac

Excellent video and build. Those earlier PDP’s are really nice drums for the price, I foolishly sold a Platinum kit and that has been my one that I should not have let get away. That aside, really decent sounding snom for what you went into it with, I think you accomplished what you wanted. Really nice kit overall and playing too!
I never owned one but I frequently played on a friend's PDP kit from the same era and it was great. He used coated 2 ply heads AND the Remo plastic muffle tray things with the foam ring and somehow they still had tone and life to them... It kinda blew my mind. And I'm typically a 'no muffling' guy so that really says something. It had an aftermarket pdp wooden piccolo snare that was a treat as well, he said none of it was really that expensive.

drumr386

I never owned one but I frequently played on a friend's PDP kit from the same era and it was great. He used coated 2 ply heads AND the Remo plastic muffle tray things with the foam ring and somehow they still had tone and life to them... It kinda blew my mind. And I'm typically a 'no muffling' guy so that really says something. It had an aftermarket pdp wooden piccolo snare that was a treat as well, he said none of it was really that expensive.
I was using Remo Emperor Ebony Suede heads that worked really well on those drums, the perfect mix between clear and coated. PS3’s on the bass, a 20” that had such a nice tone. Just really well made drums that were quite a bargain, the few that show up for sale reflect their value.