THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

Old Dog new Cans

Yes. That stuff is going to be hard coated somehow (baked, powder coated). Maybe a seriously aggressive wire wheel on a bench grinder could get it off. You aren't gonna dissolve it. Its gonna require force.

I would agree that it would probably take a huge amount of effort.

I will add though, I actually bought a project PDP nickel plated snare drum, and the plating was done so poorly, that the previous owner took some type of cleanser/cleaner and basically made it look like chrome. So, the quality of the painting or plating will definitely play a part.

With that said, it's only $30 🤷‍♂️

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I would agree that it would probably take a huge amount of effort.

I will add though, I actually bought a project PDP nickel plated snare drum, and the plating was done so poorly, that the previous owner took some type of cleanser/cleaner and basically made it look like chrome. So, the quality of the painting or plating will definitely play a part.

With that said, it's only $30 🤷‍♂️
There is always a possibility. Just based on my experience building musical gear, that black coated stuff is super tough. Everyone uses it in one form or another, and it's definitely made to take abuse.

I'm of the opinion that $12 a lug is the more cost effective way to go. Buying the drum, disassembling it, stripping the lugs, chrome plating them, then installing them on the snare is going to cost more in time and $$$ than just buying new ones and installing them. And their new. Can't get any better than new.

Old Dog new Cans

There is always a possibility. Just based on my experience building musical gear, that black coated stuff is super tough. Everyone uses it in one form or another, and it's definitely made to take abuse.

I'm of the opinion that $12 a lug is the more cost effective way to go. Buying the drum, disassembling it, stripping the lugs, chrome plating them, then installing them on the snare is going to cost more in time and $$$ than just buying new ones and installing them. And their new. Can't get any better than new.
I definitely agree. Chances are good you would just, ruin them anyway. But, sometimes being cost effective works. Not always as I have found :rolleyes: