The definition of a "good drummer"

How about this one? Good drummers are creative and not only are their arrangements new, but also easy to play.

I guess an implication is of course that drummers that don't write creative new playable parts aren't very good.

I've heard that question hundred of time, some here on DW and out in the real life... but my answer always remain the same one...

... I will not reveal my secrets, you'll have to figure it out by yourself.

I've heard that question hundred of time, some here on DW and out in the real life... but my answer always remain the same one...

... I will not reveal my secrets, you'll have to figure it out by yourself.

That is valid, especially for drummers trying to make in roads, but for well established, drummers with copyright protection and lawyers, I would see that as a negative to not promote the art of drumming.

Pretty sure Henri was joking. He's much too humble of a guy to imply that he's one of the "good" drummers, even though he is most definitely all that. Love your playing Henri.

Pretty sure Henri was joking. He's much too humble of a guy to imply that he's one of the "good" drummers...

Indeed, on both account :)

...even though he is most definitely all that. Love your playing Henri.

Thank you Uncle Larry :)

That is valid, especially for drummers trying to make in roads, but for well established, drummers with copyright protection and lawyers, I would see that as a negative to not promote the art of drumming.

Yes, joking aside, it's very valid, what make a "good" drummer goes beyond what he or she can play, it's more about the personality than the technique, anyone (almost) can copy another drummer's licks and chops, feel and approach, but you cannot have his or her personality, it's what makes them unique and it's why many artists and bands wants to play with them... as WholsTony said, if you are a player that other musicians desire to play with you, you are a good drummer, that the bit you have to figure out yourself.

As for the comment about negativity to not promote the art of drumming from a drummer to another drummer, I haven't seen it yet, all the drummers I've met, pros and non-pros have always been extremely open and helpful in every respect. the thousands of educational DVD's, methods, books, clinics, seminary is another testimony that the art of drumming is pretty much shared among drummers all over the world, as is this forum where all opinions from beginners to seasonal pros are shared on these boards.

You can only be as "good" as yourself, you're the one projecting yourself out there, let make it a worthwhile experience, even if you're not the most accomplished drummer technically.

I like Tony's definition: I remember playing for Tommy Igoe and being more nervous than I ever have at any gig in my life. When a working, respected pro like that says you're good then you have something.

Or you could read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance if you want an incredibly detailed foray into the concept of Good as in Quality.

What an amazing book. It took me about 3 years to finish it... you read a few pages, think about them for a few days, go back and re-read it....ponder more...then you move on to the next bit.

It's definitely not in the "Instant gratification" department but if you're wanting a challenge this is the book for you. :D

You can only be as "good" as yourself, you're the one projecting yourself out there, let make it a worthwhile experience, even if you're not the most accomplished drummer technically.

Perfect statement!

Its difficult to notice, but the expectations we can create by trying to define a quantitative concept of 'good drummer' can work against the development of 'good music' and even 'good drumming'....and, in some cases, becoming a 'good drummer' per that very definition.

Quantum physics in play on the macro level? ; )

whether the drummer can read or cannot read, whether the drummer is just a fine time keeper who plays just like a robot or who plays like Moonie the one and only, whether the drummer uses just a single snare or 10,0000 tom toms and 2006 bass drums with 8035 cymbals, if i like his/her playing considering all the other instruments and vocals along with it.... if i love the music that I hear, he/ she is a good drummer to ME.

It depends upon what POV we are talking about. A good drummer as a fellow musician in a touring band? A listener? Someone hired for the studio?

A good drummer is for me ,a drummer that plays for the song,and the band.
And nows his place in the song,grooves /fills .

Back