THe Conway Slingerlands have been Rescued

I finally got my drums home and unboxed. Everything is in excellent condition, all the pieces and parts are there, and the chrome is flawless. It was pretty cool to open up a brand new 15+ year old kit. The only minor flaw is a little casting bur inside of one of the floor tom leg mounts that won’t let the leg go in. I’ll address it tomorrow night as it’s been a long day. Nothing I can’t fix in a few minutes. I’ve been tying to post pics for those of you interested but I cannot get them to load from my phone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me these are pretty special drums. No they aren’t from Chicago, Niles, or Nashville and you know what, I don’t care. They’re pretty darn cool to me. I wanted one of these Krupa kits when they came out but my wife and I were just starting a family and I couldn’t afford them at the time. I feel very fortunate to own them now and can’t wait to play the heck out of them. For what it’s worth, I can’t seem to understand why someone would comment on a thread just to rain on someone else’s parade. It makes no sense to me. If you aren’t interested in this era of Slingerland drums, I get it and that’s cool. I don’t really care about Mapex or Dixon but I don’t join threads just to bash them. Heck, they make great drums that other people really like. Then to question someone’s character and when you find out your comments were unwarranted, basically say “oh well, I was wrong but they suck anyway so who cares”. Not cool. I’d expect that kind of stuff on a guitar player or lead singer forum. This very thread is the reason I don’t post much. I felt obligated this time because I wanted interested parties to know John was not some internet scammer who was scheming with a couple other forum members.

I hope you’ll keep trying to post pics! I just bought this exact configuration in a different brand, but like many here my first kit in middle and high school were Slingerlands, and I’ll always have fond memories associated with that brand...

I hope you’ll keep trying to post pics! I just bought this exact configuration in a different brand, but like many here my first kit in middle and high school were Slingerlands, and I’ll always have fond memories associated with that brand...
Jbravo, Here you go. Sorry for the terrible pictures and I can't seem to make the last one go in the right direction, but it's the best I've got at the moment. Once I've got everything set up and ready to play. I'll post some better ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 56316760334__0FE63A8C-703E-4A53-B3A1-23696586F425.JPG
    56316760334__0FE63A8C-703E-4A53-B3A1-23696586F425.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 502
Jbravo, Here you go. Sorry for the terrible pictures and I can't seem to make the last one go in the right direction, but it's the best I've got at the moment. Once I've got everything set up and ready to play. I'll post some better ones.

That looks awesome. Is the other set a Ludwig?

They look great! I like how the pedalboards look like the old ones but have been modernized with the blackout treatment. It’s a beautiful kit. Looking forward to the completed setup pics.

That looks awesome. Is the other set a Ludwig?
Thanks Wisco, Yes, it's a Ludwig Classic Maple in Orange Glass Glitter. Sizes are 13,16,18,26. All my other kits are Ludwig. I'm almost embarrassed to post the pics because my drum shack is usually spotless and everything is in its place, but I've been working on several projects, putting new heads on my other kits, and doing routine maintenance on mine and my sons gigging kits. I'll have everything in order by this weekend and I'll post some good pictures.

Those pedals are rad.

I'd love to see those set up with some flat-base hardware.

Thanks Wisco, Yes, it's a Ludwig Classic Maple in Orange Glass Glitter. Sizes are 13,16,18,26. All my other kits are Ludwig. I'm almost embarrassed to post the pics because my drum shack is usually spotless and everything is in its place, but I've been working on several projects, putting new heads on my other kits, and doing routine maintenance on mine and my sons gigging kits. I'll have everything in order by this weekend and I'll post some good pictures.

Your drum shack is super cool. I am totally digging the old coke machine and gas pump. And that is one good looking doggie too. I do love me some doggies!

Your drum shack is super cool. I am totally digging the old coke machine and gas pump. And that is one good looking doggie too. I do love me some doggies!
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. That's my best buddy Carmine (yes, named after Carmine Appice LOL). He's the coolest drum tech ever. The gas pump and the Coke machine were restored by my Dad and I.

Beautiful set Brian. I got the same bass drum pedal with my new Slingerland set. It's a pretty nice pedal!

You had better keep that guard dog in your drum room all the time. I'm coming over to steal your set.... LOL

Wow, Brian! The GK kit is ridiculously beautiful. And the hardware looks first rate. You can be sure that if I had the money I would have bought one of the Conway kits.

Once I get my upload problem fixed, I 'll post pics of my Concert King kit. It's identical to Jim's kit. Ordered all new heads for the kit yesterday, so in the next week or so I'll be banging away, too. It's not a Conway kit, but as I'm sure Jim will attest, they are very fine drums and hardware.

Looking forward to seeing the GK kit set up, and would love to see a video and a chance to hear them. October/early November has been a very exciting time for me, and I'm sure for you, too!

Finally, many thanks to you guys who have attested to John's honesty and integrity. As I've noted before, initial skepticism on a deal like this is perfectly understandable considering the number of scam artists that roam the internet. And that's why I wanted to check it out personally and confirm that what was being presented was the real thing. It is. But the aspect of this adventure that has been most rewarding for me is meeting and befriending a true drumming enthusiast and active musician who also happens to be a real gentleman - just as others are discovering with each transaction.

GeeDeeEmm

Slingerlandguy, thanks for everything. I love the kit and we'll talk again very soon my friend. I hope you find some more cool treasures in the warehouse.

Hollywood Jim, Thanks man. Yeah, that vicious guard dog would probably show you where the sticks were if you came over. The only problem you'd have with him is if he jumped in your lap to give you a kiss. LOL.

gdmoore28, Thank you very much. I was pretty impressed with the hardware too. I may end up using some new flat based stands just for the vintage look, but the Slingerland stuff really seems nice. I'm looking forward to seeing your Concert King set too. Those look like a great value for the money and I bet they sound as good as they look. It may take several days as I have a ton of stuff going on right now, but I will get some quality pictures and try to post some videos once I get the Krupa kit all dialed in.

So what happened with these Slingerlands? The posts suddenly stopped. Do those of you who bought the Concert Kings like them? How do they sound? I see they're still available on his eBay page but I haven't seen anything anywhere - except here - about them. No reviews or talk of how the drums actually sound. No "mainstream" press about them. Nothing.

Maybe I missed it. Or maybe there's a bunch of info out there that I haven't seen.

Anyone?

On eBay now there are a slew of different "sellers" hawking the Asian Slingerland snares that were part of the cache. Not sure how several different people suddenly have so many of these NOS snares, but something always seemed a bit slanted to me about the whole thing.

A lot of great looking cans there! Love that white pearl. Very nice.

Much appreciated Wisco, Yes, it's a Ludwig Classic Maple in Orange Glass Glitter. Sizes are 13,16,18,26. All my different packs are Ludwig. I'm nearly humiliated to post the pics in light of the fact that my drum shack is normally immaculate and everything is in its place, yet I've been chipping away at a few activities, putting new heads on my different packs, and doing routine support on mine and my children gigging units. I'll have everything all together by this end of the week and I'll post some great pictures.

Last edited:
On eBay now there are a slew of different "sellers" hawking the Asian Slingerland snares that were part of the cache. Not sure how several different people suddenly have so many of these NOS snares, but something always seemed a bit slanted to me about the whole thing.

Very strange. The same guy has a bunch of single toms available on the "Slingerland Sets and Snare Drums" Facebook page. Like a bunch of 7" x 10" Conway toms but nothing else listed that I could see. It might all be legit but something does seem a little off.

Hi, my name is Paul and I am from Madrid Spain and new to this forum.
I just want to share my story with the hope that someday I will be able to recover what has been one of my biggest ilusiones in my life.
I am an amateur drummer and 5 years ago I became one of the "pearls" of "Raimon Devine and His Pearls" band. We play covers from the 60-80 (Elvis, Niel Diamond, Bruce Springsteen, etc). I play a Gretsch Catalina club set which sounds great and is easy to gig around with.
However I always found the the snare was a little weak therefore started lo look around to buy a new one.
Thats when in Feb 2019 I found on eBay the oportunity to by a "Brand New" approximately 20 year old Slingerland RK in White Pearl which NeaMusic shipped without without any problems. When I received my RK I was more happy than a kid with mew shoes!
What a sound, die cast rings, 10 lugs... I was sooooo happy and enyoing playing with it until the 20th Feb 2020 after a rehearsal with the band someone stole it from my car breaking in the trunk while I was having dinner at a restaurant in Madrid. This hurt me more than if the car was stolen!
What hurts me more is that probably the person that stole it does not know the value of this "white pearl", and I'm not talking about $$$ value.
It still hurts me while I am writing this :-(
Anyway, what I wanted to say is that if are any of the ones that have had the opportunity to buy one of the RK in the past or recently of the "new" ones from John you should consider yourselves vey fortunate because this snares are really unreplaceble "pearls"
BTW, if someone is considering in re-selling one of this "New Conway" RK please let me know!.
I herewith attach a pic of the snare I bought.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6537.jpg
    IMG_6537.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 18
Back