The best bass drum sound!

I was under the impression that deeper kick drums sound tubby or slow but that 18" deep DW sounds ridiculously good.
There is that hypothesis floating around.

The 24" and 26" diameters physically provide a larger diaphragm than a 22" diameter shell. But a 22" is easier portage. Drum design wizards gave us the 18" (and 20") depths for enhancing the lower frequencies.

I don't think one sound is better than another. They're different and each size has its benefits and detriments.

I recently replaced my bass drum heads with Evans EQ2 batter (discountinued) and EMAD Resonant and it's the best it's sounded in years. I only wish I'd tried the EQ2 while it was an available product.

I used to have this little 20x10 that I made from a Keller Vintage Mahogany cut off and tuned about medium high on both heads, the thing felt like it could punch a hole through the wall! It had coated Ambassadors on both sides. One day, I'm going to put another one together.

My wife stole this one and we hung it in the dining room as a chandelier.

Attachments

• Drum light.jpg
    Drum light.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 5
probably ludwig since smith is a ludwig artist

He has been naughty then...I see an Oaklawn badge here, C&C concert toms and I believe an Acrolite here...there other videos with a Dyna. This could be all Dr Doctor stuff or the LA studio (famous but forgot the name).

I had a memory lapse. I'm watching BTO open for Van-Halen...the drummer (Gary Peterson) from the guess who was playing this tiny Tempus kit. The small bass drum shook the ground. It just had a tamber that only Tempus fiberglass has but it was bottom beyond your imagination. Alex came on and had the electronic kit behind the wall of acrylic ludwigs but what a let down comparatively.

He has been naughty then...I see an Oaklawn badge here, C&C concert toms and I believe an Acrolite here...there other videos with a Dyna. This could be all Dr Doctor stuff or the LA studio (famous but forgot the name).

hmm, i guess his contract isn't that strong against public usage of other kits. i guess when he can choose his own kit he uses ludwigs (like with kinfolk, drum festivals and clinics) and uses whatever else the others provide him with in other cases. i remember he did his cameo in the MSG Vulfpeck concert on a Yamaha

hmm, i guess his contract isn't that strong against public usage of other kits. i guess when he can choose his own kit he uses ludwigs (like with kinfolk, drum festivals and clinics) and uses whatever else the others provide him with in other cases. i remember he did his cameo in the MSG Vulfpeck concert on a Yamaha
Yeah, studio is such a grey area and common. Not everyone can spot a Hal Blaine kit like that, sort of a tall order lol! But everyone has a camera and YouTube now. Nonetheless, what a fun record and Nate kills it.

Yeah, studio is such a grey area and common. Not everyone can spot a Hal Blaine kit like that, sort of a tall order lol! But everyone has a camera and YouTube now. Nonetheless, what a fun record and Nate kills it.
i think the live in MSG version is even better, but tailwinds wasn't bad at all. spiced things up with horns, i like it.

Any of you crazy about a bass drum that you still think about and oddly never owned?. Maybe you were smart and acted upon your inspiration. Where was the kit at and what kind of BD was it?.

I'll never forget playing my first Ludwig Classic maple kit at Forks Drum Closet that featured a 24x14 kick drum and 13, 16, and 18 toms. That set haunted me. This is exactly the way drums should sound, especially that kick drum. This kit is perfect.

I found a killer deal on a set of these, and I've been gigging with them this year. I use Senheiser e604's on the toms, a 604 or a 57 on the snare, and a D6 on the kick. Combine this with RCF line array top boxes and four 18" subs, and I'm in freakin' heaven. Best thing ever.

225550482_4710935738934750_4697889916062196116_n.jpg

I love the way Todd Sucherman's bass drums sound. Good old 22x16" with a heavy pillow, Powerstroke 3 heads, small hole cut in the front head and an impact patch on the batter. Nice short, clean sound with loads of articulation - perfect kick sound for for rock and pop imo.

An oldy but goody and classic BD sound w/ felt

Open tunings can either go disastrous or magical, no middle ground really. And the room can totally change it too. So I’m always seeking out players that do this well rather than a bedroom set in the bass drum. The tips and tricks of studio muffling is fun too

My band's practice space has an old, abused 1970's Ludwig kit. The bass drum (after replacing some tuning rods and claws) actually sounds pretty decent. It's not near as sweet as my two bass drums at home, but it sure is amazing what you can do with an old pile of junk.

That set was single-bass.
I played Jack's double bass Rosewood Phonic kit taking a lesson at his house. I also saw him live a couple of times playing a double bass kit. At the time Barry Altschul and Stu Martin were also playing double bass kits tuned up pretty tight.

Another vote for Gretsch kicks over here. I have four these days, and they're just the best. I think my favorite is the Caribbean Blue square badge 22x16. I was going to flip that kit, until I played it. That kick is just the best.

Looks like a 22" Camco judging by the 10 lugs per head, and I'm like 98% sure that those are a set of recent-production Blaemire (Jenkins-Martin) concert toms.

I ordinarily play bop kits and love the 18" kicks.
But earlier this year I bought a 22"x18" Sakae Almighty birch on a whim and, wow, that drum has a heavenly tone. I may become a convert to larger sized drums.

Back