Tension Rod Issue on Snare

I cut down a Gretsch floor tom for a customer a couple of years ago. The original lug holes were several degrees out of alignment, at a consistent angle, on one head side. Honestly, there have been a number of times I've run into that sort of QC issue on mass production drums from various manufacturers.

certainly seems to be the case. I have no other real first hand experience, but reading on forums and seeing pictures of new drums it's crazy to me the amount of them that have some sort of issue like this.

that sort of quality issue isn't acceptable at any level, but especially bad on a top line like the Broadkaster.

after a long wait the new drum has finally arrived. these pictures were taken immediately after unboxing:

IMG_9045.jpg IMG_9044.jpg

it's pretty disappointing to be sent a replacement snare only to have the new snare have the same issue as the old one. it's certainly not as bad, but it's crazy to me that this could have left the factory. the logo side is front and center and has the worst of the splay. I just don't understand. I will live with this as the sound isn't really affected, but it's a bit of a let down. not that I care about them too much, but even some of the gaskets under the lugs are poorly cut too. the edges are a bit rough to the touch as well. the finish is awesome, the rep. has been great, but the quality control is disappointing.

after a long wait the new drum has finally arrived. these pictures were taken immediately after unboxing:
Your hoops arent centered over the lugs. I can literally see the hole in the hoop pushing the rod on one side and a huge gap on the other. Loosen the rods and spin the hoops like 3/16ths of an inch.

Your hoops arent centered over the lugs. I can literally see the hole in the hoop pushing the rod on one side and a huge gap on the other. Loosen the rods and spin the hoops like 3/16ths of an inch.

I've been making adjustments, but when I do it just throws off the other rods. I'll keep at it to see if I can straighten them all out...

yeah- it doesn't alter the sound at all, but aesthetically it just looks wrong. I was able to adjust it some so the splay occurs on lugs that aren't front and center. I am just a bit confused as to why this is an issue for them though.
Something isnt calibrated correctly. Either the lug spacing is off around the drum, the lugs arent plumb or true, or it's the hole spacing of the hoops.

You can check the hoops on another drum if you have one. You can also use hoops from another drum on this one and see if the problem goes away.

Two drums with the same issue means there are more than likely a bunch of these out there with the same issue.

just spoke to the rep. about it. he's not happy about it and has placed an escalated order to replace this one. if only their build quality was as good as their customer service...

Either the machine is out of alignment or the machine operator is out of alignment. Either way, something is consistently off in the drilling procedure. What blows my mind is someone assembled these drums, saw tension rods askew, and still boxed it up and sent it out. Not just one drum either...

Back