Tama Steelsnare 14"x3,5" (PM223)

Drummerrob85

Hi,

I've had a 14"x3,5" Tama Steel Snare wich I believe is of the model PM223.
(Based on this catalogue from 1990: http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/tama/catalog/1990_1EU.pdf (page 5).

A buddy recently asked me if it really was a Tama snare, he hadn't seen these types of lugs previously and after searching for others that have the same snare I found absolute nothing, it seems like these types of lugs were only used on this model..

Therefor I'm turning to this great forum and it's experts on Tama:
Is there anyone else that owns this snare?
What do you think of it?
Is it comparable to the more modern Tama Piccolos?
Is my snare-lever the original one?

All the best!
//
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 12
Many years of Tama catalogs are on their website.

That's a cool drum! It's Tama so it's build like a tank, it's a steel piccolo so I'm sure it sounds great. That single point/bullet style lug was their response to the previous piccolos having a square lug with the rods on the opposing corners which caused the lug to go crooked over time. The tension rods look a little too long leading me to believe they are replacements and not factory. It's certainly not a super high dollar item but it's not useless junk either. I always advise taking the whole thing apart, tightening all the lug screws, giving a good once over inspection, and put new heads back on.

As for general sound... It's a steel piccolo. It's going to sound like a steel piccolo. A well built steel piccolo that may have a bit more depth of tone then say a pulse piccolo but still a steel piccolo nonetheless.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the hoops are all wonky and out of round. Looking at your pictures it appears as though one side of the drum is cranked down and the other side of the drum is loose. If a drum sits for a long period of time at such an extremely inconsistent tuning it will easily warp the hoops. Even those thick 'mighty hoops'. The rigidity of those hoops in particular could also cause the lugs and or shell to distort. Definitely take it apart, clean it up, inspect it, and plan on some minor part replacements.

Last edited:
Therefor I'm turning to this great forum and it's experts on Tama:
Is there anyone else that owns this snare?
What do you think of it?
Is it comparable to the more modern Tama Piccolos?
Is my snare-lever the original one?
I own a 15”x4” Tama brass snare drum, but it’s not piccolo ‘cuz the larger diameter provides a lower pitch.

If your drum is round, no dents, and the hoops are round and not warped, you have an excellent snare drum. If you like the sound of a piccolo (sharp attack, virtually no shell/body to its sound) then it’s a keeper.

Tama currently does not offer any piccolo snare drums. Yours is unique.

I believe your throw-off lever is original.

That's a cool drum! It's Tama so it's build like a tank, it's a steel piccolo so I'm sure it sounds great. That single point/bullet style lug was their response to the previous piccolos having a square lug with the rods on the opposing corners which caused the lug to go crooked over time. The tension rods look a little too long leading me to believe they are replacements and not factory. It's certainly not a super high dollar item but it's not useless junk either. I always advise taking the whole thing apart, tightening all the lug screws, giving a good once over inspection, and put new heads back on.

As for general sound... It's a steel piccolo. It's going to sound like a steel piccolo. A well built steel piccolo that may have a bit more depth of tone then say a pulse piccolo but still a steel piccolo nonetheless.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the hoops are all wonky and out of round. Looking at your pictures it appears as though one side of the drum is cranked down and the other side of the drum is loose. If a drum sits for a long period of time and such an extremely inconsistent tuning it will easily warp the hoops. Even those thick 'mighty hoops'. The rigidity of those hoops in particular could also cause the lugs and or she'll to distort. Definitely take it apart, clean it up, inspect it, and plan on some minor part replacements.

Thanks for your reply!

As you've pointed out it does actually sound great and also the lug screws are not original.
I actually took it apart about a year ago and took som screws I had lying around to replace som missing original ones.

I actually didn't look to close on the hoops but I will today after your keen observation, they're probably wonky because it's exactly as you guessed, I used this once about 3-4 years ago in a studio and since then I only took it apart last year to kind of make it into a nice drum.
The hoops were tightly screwed on during this whole time.

It mostly just collect dust but the last couple of days I really start to dig the sound of it!
I'll upload som video soon.

Thanks again for your reply!

BR

I own a 15”x4” Tama brass snare drum, but it’s not piccolo ‘cuz the larger diameter provides a lower pitch.

If your drum is round, no dents, and the hoops are round and not warped, you have an excellent snare drum. If you like the sound of a piccolo (sharp attack, virtually no shell/body to its sound) then it’s a keeper.

Tama currently does not offer any piccolo snare drums. Yours is unique.

I believe your throw-off lever is original.
Thanks for your info.
I'm having a hard time to find any Tama Piccolo Steel-drum with these lugs but they look cool and doesn't bulge for pressure!

The lug screws are generic ones I had lying around but I'm happy to hear that you think the throw-off is original because it works like a charm even after being unused for a long LONG time.

It does sound good and I'll definitely keeping it.

Thank you so much for your input!

Back