Tama Stagemaster Lightweight Hardware Pack great bang for the buck

mikyok

Platinum Member
About a month back I lightened up my hardware, like quite a few of us I'd had the same double braced stands for years and I'm on a mission to get everything into one bag and not give myself a hernia carrying it in/out of venues.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/tama-stage...VaSMJVGWwvOMYUtPc-Z32EptoCqQiquoaAqFSEALw_wcB

I'm surprised this doesn't get more of a mention here and a big thumbs up to one of the lads here from down under for the recommendation! Compared to the ultra lightweight options, these are a bargain.

Whilst they don't reduce the footprint of your kit, all my stands fit in one bag and there's room for the stool stand, floor tom legs and tom mount with cymbal arm attached. Biggest bonus is they're very lightweight but you get Tama sturdiness. Quick release nuts are a nice touch.

It's the perfect compromise between lightweight and practicality. I was tempted by the ultra lightweight stuff but it looks a bit wobbly for me and the snare and hat stands don't look up to the job.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I bought this hardware set a few months ago for my jazz kit.

Love it. Some truly original and useful design features, also lightweight and sturdy. The carry case is so compact and convenient.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I like that they include boom stands. Most I see don’t, so I couldn’t get my ride where I need it. That said, how well do the booms work with heavier ride cymbals? I don’t bash my stuff, but curious if the legs go wide enough to balance heavier cymbals?

mikyok

Platinum Member
I bought this hardware set a few months ago for my jazz kit.

Love it. Some truly original and useful design features, also lightweight and sturdy. The carry case is so compact and convenient.

I think it was yourself that recommended it to me on another thread. BIIIG THANKYOU, only downside is my packup is that quick at the end of the night I'm on lead and PA duty :(

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I like that they include boom stands. Most I see don’t, so I couldn’t get my ride where I need it. That said, how well do the booms work with heavier ride cymbals? I don’t bash my stuff, but curious if the legs go wide enough to balance heavier cymbals?

The boom doesn’t sag or slip at all, so it’s fine with heavy rides as long as the boom isn’t fully extended past the legs. The legs are normal tripod size, just single braced to save weight. I’ve used a heavy K Custom Ride for rock gigs, reaching a foot across the bass drum, and felt perfectly secure.

mikyok

Platinum Member

They'll handle heavier rides no problem, the legs go as wide as double brace. Just don't have the legs in a that the cymbal will cause the stand to tilt but I've had that problem with double braced stuff as well.

I use a 19 and 20 crashes and nothing moves but I use the stands as straight stands.

I mount a 22" ride from a 16" bass drum so a single braced stand isn't a challenge at all :)

mikyok

Platinum Member
Agreed!

If I was a drummer just starting out, and I had no plans on having a drum kit bigger than a 4-or-5 piece, I'd simply go with the Classic line-up of hardware - http://www.tama.com/product/hardware_data.php?year=2018&area=2&id=143

Not a big fan of the classic line, looks a bit flimsy. There's a vid of Peter Erskine demoing the cymbal stand and it's wobbling all over the place.

The classic line costs more than the stagemaster single brace too yet the stagemaster is way more functional. With any of the classic stands by any drum company I'm interested in their shelf life. Good for jazz and light playing but I wouldn't feel safe doing a pop gig with them.

I'm glad that drum companies are making things smaller and lighter, not for beginners but for the seasoned giggers out there.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Here’s the pack I bought - I think it’s called MM4

Steel pipes with cast aluminium joints. Strong and lightweight.

Attachments

• B5F2A9F7-BBE0-4AD3-A9B8-E069299397D7.jpeg
    B5F2A9F7-BBE0-4AD3-A9B8-E069299397D7.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 267

calan

Silver Member
Here’s the pack I bought - I think it’s called MM4

Steel pipes with cast aluminium joints. Strong and lightweight.
I've got the same thing one of my setups. I also keep a multiclamp with another Tama cymbal holder, and the stagemaster stands take it just fine. Admittedly, none of my cymbals are are very heavy nor do I boom things out very far.

It's a great product and being able to carry almost all of my hardware over my shoulder is wonderful. If I was looking to buy today I'd be inclined to get the new Yamaha offering, but I have no regrets.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I have two sets of HW, the more robust RoadPro lineup of cymbal boom stands and a Lever Glide HH stand and the MM4 Stagemaster pack as someone showed a pic of above. Really great lightweight stuff, and the included bag is a nice touch - can hold a bunch of things with the included stands. Using one of the usual MF coupons that come around every few weeks I got it for a nice price.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Did not some get the memo?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142761

Blows TAMA stuff away! I outlined what's wrong with the TAMA snare stand in the linked thread, altho even as Im keeping it (for now), because it folds up really small like a babies toy, but not as cool looking as the YAMAHA.

The TAMA lightweight (@ $60 US) is a fail IMO, the non folding aspect, plus they put the key operated bolt for the memory lock on the wrong side, to work the memory lock your drum key is blocked by the wing nut which controls stand height. Don't understand how TAMA could've been so toopit, new millennial hires?

The YAMAHA stands are brushed aluminum, a nice detour from the fingerprint laden chrome finishes that dominate the market, plus copper ain't cheap nowdays.

Guess we'll have to wait till 7/23 and 8/30 which is when MUSICIANS FRIEND gets a boatload of the new YAMAHA lightweight stuff in, or you could hop-on-over to GUITAR CENTER (cough* cough*) who are getting and boat load in 7/14 and still not sold out yet (cough* cough*), then after 7/14 cancel your MF order (cough* cough*).

You know what, disregard that last paragraph, that's not fair to MF, forget I said that, or forget I said to forget I said that.

cutaway79

Silver Member

Blows TAMA stuff away! I outlined what's wrong with the TAMA snare stand in the linked thread, altho even as Im keeping it (for now), because it folds up really small like a babies toy, but not as cool looking as the YAMAHA.

The TAMA lightweight (@ $60 US) is a fail IMO, the non folding aspect, plus they put the key operated bolt for the memory lock on the wrong side, to work the memory lock your drum key is blocked by the wing nut which controls stand height. Don't understand how TAMA could've been so toopit, new millennial hires?

The YAMAHA stands are brushed aluminum, a nice detour from the fingerprint laden chrome finishes that dominate the market, plus copper ain't cheap nowdays.

Guess we'll have to wait till 7/23 and 8/30 which is when MUSICIANS FRIEND gets a boatload of the new YAMAHA lightweight stuff in, or you could hop-on-over to GUITAR CENTER (cough* cough*) who are getting and boat load in 7/14 and still not sold out yet (cough* cough*), then after 7/14 cancel your MF order (cough* cough*).

You know what, disregard that last paragraph, that's not fair to MF, forget I said that, or forget I said to forget I said that.

Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, don't they?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
The new Yamaha aluminium set does look interesting. It’s also twice the price of the Tama.

Regarding the tilters - the MM4 set has ‘fine toothed’ geared tilters on the cymbal stands. The snare stand is continuous/smooth.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Mikyok do the Tama stands have gearless tilters?

Fine tooth on the cymbal stands Larry, snare stand is gearless. Obviously there's higher end gearless tilt if you pay for it.

If we're talking bang for buck though, I haven't found a better deal. Everyone seems to be obsessed with flat based ATM so single brace has slipped under the radar.

mikyok

Platinum Member

Tama pack is cheaper and does what I need it to do. Plus I can't buy the Yammy stuff yet :) There's no memory lock on the MM4 pack other than hi hat stand.

I'm not seeing an argument other than it looks cooler than the Tama stuff. All about personal preference.

fl.tom

Please note there are two different Tama hardware series being referenced here... the single braced StageMaster initially cited for the thread... and the Classic series noted by Les.

The single & double braced Tama StageMaster series are more comparable to the single & double braced Yamaha 600 series. Whereas the Tama Classic is more comparable to the new Yamaha 3 series.

As far as geared vs gearless tilters, all of the above cymbal tilters are fine tooth geared and all the snare basket tilters are gearless.

The Tama Stage Master and Yamaha 600 series are both good at what they were designed to do.

It will be interesting to see how the new Yamaha 3 series compares to the Tama Classic. I suspect the Yamaha tripod bases will be more stable than the Tama, but don't expect the aluminum tubes to be as crush resistant as the steel.

Good thing is the middle tube on the Yamaha cymbal stand is 7/8" so a TH904 3-hole receiver could be used to mount drums/add-on hardware without clamps and/or the upper sections of a 700 cymbal can be used to convert them to a boom.

calan

Silver Member
Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, don't they?
Yes, it's all the same parent company. If you call the 800 number, occasionally a CS rep will say "thanks for calling Guitar Center" if you call MF and vice versa. Online orders ship from the same place too, so one is not getting inventory before the other.

Anybody in this thread other than Les in citing the single braced line, which is NOT the same as the Classic line.

As far the Tama hardware goes, FL. Tom said most everything I would say about it. Everything fits nicely in the bag and it's comfortable to carry the thing over my shoulder. Perhaps the tilter on the snare basket could be more robust but I've had no problems.

Maybe the Yamaha stuff is better, but I don't know that because I can't compare it yet. Even so, maybe it's not twice the price better.