Tama IC 900 hi-hat: Lever Glide vs Velo Glide

moldmaker

I have an older Tama hi-hat stand right now and am looking to purchase a new 900. There's a Velo Glide on the kit at church, so I have experience with it. I've been very happy with it over the last 6 years. I wouldn't have any problems purchasing one for my own, but I'm curious about the Lever Glide. Could anybody compare/contrast the two in terms of feel, smoothness, etc? What about getting a good "chick" sound with my foot? I wouldn't be able to try the Lever Glide in person. Can't find one anywhere. Thanks.

TJK

I have the leverglide and honestly I don’t know what to think of it. It’s built well but I am not sure about the lever action vs the straight pull. I only paid 100 for it and haven’t really messed with the settings but if I had my choice I would go with the velo
I have never tried the velo however

moldmaker

Interesting. Thanks. I do like the Velo. I like how the cymbals chick and how the pedal stops hard. I don't really want anything softer like I've been reading about the Lever.

TJK

Interesting. Thanks. I do like the Velo. I like how the cymbals chick and how the pedal stops hard. I don't really want anything softer like I've been reading about the Lever.

Yes, that’s it; the chick is much less forceful. That’s what I don’t care for.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I’m pondering the Tama HH905D Hi-Hat Iron Cobra Lever Glide for gigging as it’s got 2 legs and will be a lot lighter than my current heavy duty Premier stand (which I love)...would also appreciate reviews from owners... (y) :)

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Is one chain? vs strap?. I remember the chain iron cobra dethroned my trusty speeding. A month later I tried the lever glide? (Strap) and I was in heaven..traded my chain drive. I was so enthralled with the smooooth action of the strap I bought the strap 2 legged hihat stand..i absolutely love the strap version.

moldmaker

One is chain and the other is strap, but the strap version has an extra piece of mechanical linkage. I'm curious to know how that affects the feel of the pedal.

TJK

One is chain and the other is strap, but the strap version has an extra piece of mechanical linkage. I'm curious to know how that affects the feel of the pedal.
It is like an eccentric cam action strap. I have one and I am not sure what I think of it. Smooth, yes. I just don’t think I dig the cam action on the hh. My bd pedal is eccentric, love it. I think I prefer a straight pull hh. It may be great for jazzers but not me. You can stomp it as hard as you can but the cam action just doesn’t let you it seems to me.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I’ve had a lot of high end hi hat stand including both iron cobras mentioned.

But currently have the Tama Dynasync hi hat stand and a DW 9000 extended footboard hi hat.

For me the Dynasync has been the smoothest hi hat stand I’ve used and the 2 leg version is just so much more stable then DW’s 2 leg stands.

You should consider the DynaSync. It’s fairly new

moldmaker

I’ve had a lot of high end hi hat stand including both iron cobras mentioned.

But currently have the Tama Dynasync hi hat stand and a DW 9000 extended footboard hi hat.

For me the Dynasync has been the smoothest hi hat stand I’ve used and the 2 leg version is just so much more stable then DW’s 2 leg stands.

You should consider the DynaSync. It’s fairly new

Thanks for the feedback. The Dynasync is out of my budget. What are your thoughts on how the two IC stands compare in terms of how they feel under your foot? Chick, splash?

LittleLegs

It’s an old thread, but I’m now wondering the same thing as I need to find a light action hi-hat for a bad ankle and wonder if the lever makes a difference?

marratj

I actually have an answer now. I’ve been playing a regular Iron Cobra Velo Glide for many years and I’m doing just fine with that.

Last weekend we played a gig where the backline kit had a Speed Cobra Lever Glide stand. This totally screwed up my muscle memory. The pedal travel for opening/closing the hats seems to be double than with the Velo glide, so instead of lightly open my heads by lifting my foot only slightly, it would almost not open them at all. Way more pedal travel was required to open the hats the same amount I’m used to from my Velo Glide.

So for me personally it’s clear. I’m used to the Velo Glide and absolutely did not like the feel of the Lever Glide.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I pulled the trigger on a Tama HH905D Hi-Hat Iron Cobra Lever Glide last year and think it’s excellent…:)(y)