Tama Dyna-Sync reviews?

NackAttack

I’m struggling to find any kind of Tama Dyna-Sync double pedal reviews. The only stuff I can find is biased Tama marketing videos. Anyone know of any even halfway in depth and objective review on them?

I haven't found good reviews, but I tried one for myself... oh lord, so smooth and precise. Like a direct connection between my brain and the beater, without the lack of power that often comes with direct drive.

But I only tried the single

I’ve tried liking DD pedals over the years. My chief complaint has been the same as everyone else’s, not feeling as if there’s enough power. I’ve been very happy with my DW 9000. Great pedal. However, I was in my local shop yesterday and they had a both the single and double versions of the Dyna-Sync. I was impressed enough that I picked up the single (all I ever play). I’m still putting it through it’s paces but the 1 to 1 relationship of the pedal’s response to my foot is unbelievable. Whatever Voodoo Tama used to make a direct drive pedal that doesn’t sacrifice power, and feel is something really special. Only had it 24 hours but, so far, I really dig it.

Thank you for the replies from those who have used it. I am a research nut before I make a big purchase and the lack of reviews on these pedals is frustrating. There’s really no way I can try before I buy in my area and most of my friends are guitarists. I need to try and make a good decision because I will have to buy and just return if I don’t like it, which can be a pita online.

I've had mine for a week now. Love it. I have a bad habit of going back and forth from one extreme to the other. Finally, once I split the difference; BINGO! Is it a miracle pedal? No. As always, don't get caught up in the hype. If you have a pedal you already like and are used to, I say stick with it. Don't be silly.

Buy from Sweetwater or guitar center and return it if it bombs.
This is the plan but I would have to pay shipping for the return. If I buy guitar center I have to pay tax since they have a brick and mortar in my state. I know it’s only $20 but if I don’t have to pay more I’d rather not.

This is the plan but I would have to pay shipping for the return. If I buy guitar center I have to pay tax since they have a brick and mortar in my state. I know it’s only $20 but if I don’t have to pay more I’d rather not.
Consider it a rental fee.

I’m not being snide here, just practical. No one but you can tell if the pedal is gonna feel good.

Reactions: TJK
I’m not being snide here, just practical.
No, I got you. And I am completely okay with losing $20 to make sure I have the right pedal. I am just an avid researcher before making a big purchase and there just isn't much out there on it yet. For $699 I'm a only a few hundred off any mainstream pedal I want. Too bad it isn't the Apple iDyna-Sync versus the Samsung Galaxy Longboard A. Then people would be crapping themselves to share their thoughts on the innernut.

Looks like a really cool pedal! I would love to try it.

I'd say shoulder the $20 in case you find it not to your taste. You won't know for sure unless you actually try out the pedal, and this would be a good way to do it.

$700 for a double pedal. It’s not the cheapest in store (Sonor for $1300! DW for $1000!) but it’s up there.

Yes, I would think twice or more about this expense, but you’ve got to try it on your kit. I’ve been in shops before that had a throne, bass drum and pedals to try out, but it’s never the same as when you’re at your own kit. Something about the ergonomics of a drum kit: no two drummers are the same. Sure, we can sit in on someon’s kit, but you won’t play real freedom until the kit is dialed in to your own body and style.

I only tried the single at the shop, and I'm not usually a long board fan, but I have to say, this pedal felt really great.
The direct drive "does what your foot does", but it feels as powerful as the other IC pedals.
If you like the type of feel from Tama IC pedals, it has that, but is extra smooth.
It definitely felt strong under my foot.

I've got the Trick Pro-1V double pedal, but can't dial in the exact feel I want. I've even tried to swap-out the direct linkages for their chain drives and lightweight footboard. Maybe its the Trick compression spring vs. the expansion spring everyone else uses? Love the quality of the Tricks, but these Tamas look interesting.

I have narrowed my choices to the Dyna-sync, ProV1, and Longboard A. The Trick scares me because it seems to be a polarizing product. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is quality, which is enticing. I tried a Longboard A a looooong time ago and liked it. I hear different things about Axis long term quality. The Dyna-Sync is very intriguing but it scares me to buy something so new. First world problems right?

The Modern Drummer podcast episode 214 that just dropped today has a review of the Dyna-Sync. I haven't listened to it yet, but thought I'd mention it since I saw this thread.

I am now considering getting a single Dyna-Sync.
I've had the Eliminators for however long they have been out (original, red line) but I really dig the D-S pedal.
Tama just has a different feel to them.

I just bought one about two weeks ago. Im still getting use to it as its my first direct drive, but it feels solid and I love the beater.

Back