Switching from Evans to Remo drumheads

credoluc

Hi All,

I've been using Evans drumheads since I first sat on a drumset few years ago. I've heard some good things about Remo drumheads and I'm looking to try for myself.
Here's my current setup:

BASS RESO: EQ3 Ported
BASS BATTER: EMAD

SNARE RESO: Snare side 300
SNARE BATTER: Genera Dry

TOM RESO: G1
TOM BATTER: G2

I already purchased Remo Ambassador clears to match the Evans G1 clears and Remo Emperor clears to match my Evans G2s.
For the snare reso I'm going with Ambassador snare side. My main issue is the Snare batter. Not sure what's a good remo equivalent for Evans Genera Dry which I really love.

For Bass Reso I'm going with Remo Powerstroke P4 and Batter, Powerstroke Pro

Again my main issue is replacing the Evans Genera Dry with a Remo snare head. Any suggestions will be very welcomed.
My drum kit is a Yamaha Tour Custom with a 20 bass drum.

Thanks All!

The Powerstroke 4 head, to me, feels really stiff. It doesn’t give as easily as the PS3 (which is the equivalent of the EQ4). So if you like a stiff bass drum head, the PS4 works. But it felt like playing a pad to me.

but the PowerStroke 4 on your snare might be something you’ll like. Think of it as a coated G2’s with a built in ring.

The trick on the snare batter is no one other than Evans offers heads with the dry vents. There are some DIY dry venting videos on YouTube in case you want to add the holes to a Powerstroke 3.

The Powerstroke 4 as a bass reso seems like an odd choice, being as that's a two-ply head. A Powerstroke 3 is the more common (and equivalent to the EQ3) bass reso head.

Needed to mention I still do have the bass drumheads which came with the drumset. I think it's a Powerstroke 3 clear batter and a Powerstroke 3 logo head on the reso. I could just use those

The trick on the snare batter is no one other than Evans offers heads with the dry vents. There are some DIY dry venting videos on YouTube in case you want to add the holes to a Powerstroke 3.

The Powerstroke 4 as a bass reso seems like an odd choice, being as that's a two-ply head. A Powerstroke 3 is the more common (and equivalent to the EQ3) bass reso head.
I'll most likely be going this route. Really appreciate the info

The Powerstroke 4 head, to me, feels really stiff. It doesn’t give as easily as the PS3 (which is the equivalent of the EQ4). So if you like a stiff bass drum head, the PS4 works. But it felt like playing a pad to me.

but the PowerStroke 4 on your snare might be something you’ll like. Think of it as a coated G2’s with a built in ring.
Interesting insight. Thanks a lot

#pinstripelove

2021-08-06 12.45.11.jpg

Are you dissatisfied with Evans? Remo heads are much more alive than Evans. They are some of the most open heads I've played on. I prefer them on my BD and snare. +1 on the PS3s for the BD. There's a feel there I haven't been able to replicate. For toms, they are just a bit too ringy and alive, so I did the unthinkable and went with Aquarian Classic Coated on them to fatten them up a bit without having to overly dampen them and kill their sustain. The coating lasts way longer too. Pretty good option if you like the tone of the G2s, but want things more open. Pinstipe heads are awful nice on BD and toms too. No reason to go all matching. If you prefer the Genera Dry on your snare, best to stick with it than to try and deaden a very alive drumhead.

He's talking about P4 on reso.
Needed to mention I still do have the bass drumheads which came with the drumset. I think it's a Powerstroke 3 clear batter and a Powerstroke 3 logo head on the reso. I could just use those
Yeah I would try that first then go from there.

I've used the P4 on snare before and to me it choked the head too much at higher tunings (although it was great when tuned low for a ballad snare kind of sound). My favorite Remo snare head is the P77; give that a shot.

The Remo Controlled Sound reverse dot (black) is the best all-around snare batter that I've used. It's warmer and less brittle sounding than an Ambassador and it controls overtones nicely without killing the character of the drum. It's a very durable head too.

Are you dissatisfied with Evans? Remo heads are much more alive than Evans. They are some of the most open heads I've played on. I prefer them on my BD and snare. +1 on the PS3s for the BD. There's a feel there I haven't been able to replicate. For toms, they are just a bit too ringy and alive, so I did the unthinkable and went with Aquarian Classic Coated on them to fatten them up a bit without having to overly dampen them and kill their sustain. The coating lasts way longer too. Pretty good option if you like the tone of the G2s, but want things more open. Pinstipe heads are awful nice on BD and toms too. No reason to go all matching. If you prefer the Genera Dry on your snare, best to stick with it than to try and deaden a very alive drumhead.
I like the sound of my bass drum and snare but the toms sound a little plasticky and flat. I prefer a little more resonance from the toms than what I'm getting at the moment. I listen to remo drumhead videos on youtube and I like the sound, fuller, rounder, resonate more, exactly what I'm looking for. The reason I'm trying to match is it took a while to finally find an evans drumhead combination that works for me but I really don't have to match the snare drumheads. Thanks a lot for the insight.

And don't forget that the Vintage Ambassador heads deliver the same open feeling as the Ambassadors, but with just a bit more control.
I use them on some snares (and a few different toms) and have found they fit the ticket for that 'not too ringy and not too damp' sound.

***UPDATE***

I finally replaced all my EVANS heads with REMO

BASS RESO: REMO Powerstroke 3 Clear
BASS BATTER: REMO Powerstroke 3 Smooth white

SNARE RESO: REMO Ambassador clear
SNARE BATTER: REMO Emperor clear

TOM RESO: REMO Ambassador clear
TOM BATTER: REMO Emperor clear

SNARE BATTER: REMO Controlled Sound Coated - Black Dot
SNARE RESO: REMO Ambassador Snare Side

I instantly noticed a very clear difference soon as I changed the heads. The drum is just more sonically pleasing to my ears, rounder, fuller, slightly less punchy than before but very clearly distinct notes of the toms, exactly what I was looking for. Will not be going back to evans anytime soon. Clearly evans didn't work for me and don't miss it.

I deeply appreciate all the knowledge shared by everyone.

As an Evans guy, the only Remo I use is the CS Black Dot as Evans doesn't have a similar product. The EMAD is by far THE best kick head I've ever used. I can leave my kick wide open with a KickPort & use the foam rings to adjust the sound.
The Powerstroke is on my small footprint 22x8 kick & it does really well with that drum. So it's really just a matter of what works for your shells.

I suggest loosening your tension rods, removing the hoops, removing the old heads.
Then...
Put on the new heads, put the hoops back on and tighten tension rods to your taste.

Back