Swishy-Swish...

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
I've been wanting a Paiste Masters Series swish for a long time. Quite pricey, but I feel it's worth it.
Then I found this:

Anyone had either or both? I'm curious as to the differences.

I can't speak to the Paiste, but have owned/played the Zildjian Swish. It's a lovely cymbal!

Solo it's a beautiful spangly-swishy jazz ride. Stack it with another 18 to 20 cymbal, and you've got a blast of dark-noise (an ominous, skid-mark in the undies inducing, kind of white-noise). ?:cool:

The Paiste Master Swish and the Traditional Medium Light Swish cymbals are by far the nicest and most versatile swish cymbal. The two Paiste Models are not gongy and Clangy like the Zildjian model you have chosen . The Paiste models both have a pleasing ride sound and a nice balance between stick definition and a pleasing wash sound . The Zildjian is harsh sounding .

Yes I have owned multiple A Zildjian Swish cymbals and also Swish Knockers and a good one is a rare find indeed .

I had a Swish Knocker and it was really good. I thought all the rivets was a bad idea but it was nicely controlled to my surprise. I’d love to get a regular ol’ swish with six rivets though.

I had a Swish Knocker and it was really good. I thought all the rivets was a bad idea but it was nicely controlled to my surprise. I’d love to get a regular ol’ swish with six rivets though.

I would love to have one of those old 70's/80s' Swish Knockers....

Stack it with another 18 to 20 cymbal, and you've got a blast of dark-noise (an ominous, skid-mark in the undies inducing, kind of white-noise). ?:cool:

Now I'll be looking for sounds that remind me of said skid marks... :LOL:

I'm still after the Paiste one as I got to play one at NAMM and the feel of it stuck with me (just like the Stewart Copeland ride).
I love a big china because of said "gonginess", but a swish shouldn't sound that way IMO.
Finding one that isn't $500 is the trick tho...

I've played several times on a friend's old Zildjian A Pang, which (as far as I know) is basically a Swish without the rivets. I actually used it as a darker and less pronounced ride alternative set up with the flange facing down and the edge facing up. Certainly a different animal then a china, despite similar shape and profile. Really cool cymbal but not something I would use all the time.

I've played several times on a friend's old Zildjian A Pang, which (as far as I know) is basically a Swish without the rivets. I actually used it as a darker and less pronounced ride alternative set up with the flange facing down and the edge facing up. Certainly a different animal then a china, despite similar shape and profile. Really cool cymbal but not something I would use all the time.
A pang has a different profile than a swish. The flange of a pang lays flat on a table, while the flange of a swish points upward. Also not all swishes have rivets.

A pang has a different profile than a swish. The flange of a pang lays flat on a table, while the flange of a swish points upward. Also not all swishes have rivets.

Interesting. Well this one has the swish profile you talk about, no rivets, and was clearly stamped 'pang'. I'm not saying you are wrong, this one could just be an oddball.

Interesting. Well this one has the swish profile you talk about, no rivets, and was clearly stamped 'pang'. I'm not saying you are wrong, this one could just be an oddball.

Bongoman is correct - from a casual view most people would mistake a Pang and a swish . As Bongo man stated the flange is not upturned on the pang and it is flatter .Zildjian has two types of swish cymbals - there is the swish and the swish knocker and they are very different from each other .
The Swish is thinner than the Swish knocker and was available with or without rivets from the factory .
The Swish knocker is heavier than the swish and typically has 20 rivets installed from the factory . Typically this is used as a secondary ride source by drummers . This is not to say it can’t be crashed - it can .

I've been wanting a Paiste Masters Series swish for a long time. Quite pricey, but I feel it's worth it.
Paiste also had a Sig Traditional Swish that I missed out on. ?

Hello gents. Reading this with interest as I purchased 10+ years ago what I thought was a 22" Zildjian Pang. It has small stamp logo at 12 o'clock on the top and 'zildjian' open logo at 6 o'clock on the underneath. There is also "56cm" a "Cyrillic" and "22"" printed across the bell, it weighs 2,666 grammes.
When placed flat on a work top the flange does raise up, which if I'm reading correctly means this is swish, not a pang. It is not riveted or has holes.
I'm looking to sell it on as I'm just not playing drums much any more and want to be able to accurately describe it. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 7
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 4
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 5
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 5
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 5
I thought the swish was only a knocker if a prominent bell, and have the twenty holes for rivets? The swishes have a smaller bell and just 6 holes for rivets is my understanding.

I thought the swish was only a knocker if a prominent bell, and have the twenty holes for rivets? The swishes have a smaller bell and just 6 holes for rivets is my understanding.
Zildjian switched the principle a bit up the last years.

But that cymbal to me is no Swish Knocker, as back in the day when it was made the Swish Knocker had the 20 rivets, the larger bell, and the edge size.

So it could be very well a Pang, or a regular Swish (but not a Swish Knocker).

Last edited:
Back