Super cheap & simple upgrade

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
2 words people: Grosgrain Ribbon

I have accumulated a few snare drums as of late, and have shells I am going to be working on soon, so I have been working on ideas to make my snares (all of them) be the best they can be. One thing I have noticed about pretty much every snare I own (all but 3) is that they come with those crappy plastic snare straps to connect the snares to the strainer/butt. I haven't had one snare that worked well with those plastic things. I generally have to overtighten the strainer to the point that it sticks when engaging/disengaging. And even then, the snares still don't stay tight because the plastic stretches.

Well, enough was enough. I went out to the fabric store and picked up a roll of 5/8" wide grosgrain ribbon and started replacing all those cheap plastic things. Now all my snare strainers operate completely smoothly (even the cheap ones) because I don't have to put such high tension on the snares. My snares stay nice and tight because the ribbon does not stretch. I don't have to overtighten the screws on the strainer and butt plate to crimp the super thin plastic. The ribbon is thick enough to properly crimp in even the cheapest of butt plates. Its great! And its super cheap!

A 3 yard roll cost me $2 after tax. Yes, 2 dollars. That roll is enough to do 8 snares! At 25 cents per drum, how is this not standard equipment on every snare ever made?

So, I recommend everyone with a snare that has those crappy plastic straps go out to the fabric store, pick up some 5/8" wide grosgrain ribbon in whatever color you want (there are tons of different colors and patterns), and replace those crappy straps with some ribbon. Enjoy your nicely taught snares, your super smooth operating strainers and your cool new look.

Dunnett recommends that too, gotta check it out - thanks!

Bermuda

Interesting stuff. I've been using that rubber coated aircraft cable stuff for years. That stuff never stretches too.

Yep, I put grosgrain on all my snares. Seems to last forever, and doesn't cut into the bottom head like some of the string/wires can.

That's a good idea!
I don't have any snares that would really benefit from that type of strap, but all those ID/keychain necklaces use the same fabric so you don't even need to find a store or order it and you can even use your own sports team.

When I fixed a pedal, I used a similar strap that was much stronger that I got from the local outdoor store REI in US.

Definitely will check this out. Thanks for the tip!

I own 27 snare drums... I'll have to see how many have the old plastic and try this for sure!

Karl Crafton has recommended grosgrain ribbon for years. Never tried it, but I'll put it on the list.

Good stuff. I've been using 5/8" Grosgrain ribbon for a while now and it definitely works best for me. A small tip, since it is quite thin I find it helps to fold it back on itself at the strainer and butt plate ... it's easier for the hardware to grab onto it.

Just an example. I'm sure you can find it in a thrift store or fabric store.

The Jo-Ann Fabrics store I went in to had hundreds of rolls/colors to choose from and it was only $2. I believe you can order it online from them and have even more colors to choose from. Since I'm such a boring guy, I went with black with little white hashes:

23844071999_59484f3ee7_c.jpg

I intentionally left the ribbon long as I will be moving the strainer a bit higher on the shell in the near future.

The Jo-Ann Fabrics store I went in to had hundreds of rolls/colors to choose from and it was only $2. I believe you can order it online from them and have even more colors to choose from. Since I'm such a boring guy, I went with black with little white hashes:

23844071999_59484f3ee7_c.jpg

I intentionally left the ribbon long as I will be moving the strainer a bit higher on the shell in the near future.

Wow, check out that ribbon!
You are a wildman!
Hey, just kidding.....very nice drum BTW.

My local wall mart carries it,you can by it by the inch,so cheap to try it and see how you like it,I myself like it and use it.

That is a nice snare. I'm curious why you are moving the strainer higher. Is the action of the strainer impaired where it is mounted?

Back