***Suggestions wanted!

I'm on the same quest as you. Coincidently, one of the kits I was thinking of getting is a 10/12/14/20 Yamaha Tour Custom and only using the 12" tom for a one up, one down configuration with the 14" floor tom.

The other kit I was thinking of is the PDP Concept Maple Classic 13/16/24 kit as I mainly play blues and classic rock.

As for a snare, I just bought a Tama SLP Fat Spruce Snare at Long and McQuade, it's on sale for $375 (saved about $175 bucks, woohoo!)

Tama SLP146 Fat Spruce Snare 6x14'' - Wild Satin Spruce (long-mcquade.com)

As I'm a garage player and open jam drum smasher, I'm not looking to buy an expensive kit so it can get ruined sitting in my garage all winter or carting it to friends places for jams in their backyard.

It will be interesting to see what others say.

Not enough info, but at least you've got a starting point - number of drums/cymbals and hardware.

Some other things you're going to have to figure out before you decide are:
sizes, finsh, budget limit, wood type (and maybe type of construction), tom mount method,
and any particular hardware or design types you might prefer.

When those are known, you'll have it pretty well narrowed down.

Why'd you sell your Tour Customs? ? Was there something you didn't like about them?

Can you afford Renowns? Because they're the best IMHO. They are basically a budget USA Custom that look and sound 99% as good. Even if you have to buy a 4 piece kit, do that and put 1 drum to the side. Or get the 24/13/16 config.

Or if you want a really good deal on a DW Design Series 3 piece kit in Crimson Satin Metallic for $800. But I don't think they'll be much different from the Tour Customs you already had.

...and rather not have drums sitting around that I don't play.

Don't play yet.
I learned long ago to have a basic 5 piece set up. From that, you can play around with configuration & pieces used depending on the gig.
But never get rid of that original number. What I don't use gets zipped up in it's bag & set aside.

Example: I have a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Club set that I use just the kick/snare for rockabilly shows, 4 piece set for country cover bands & all 6 for a festival level rock show.
You never know what you might get hired to do, so have all you need for anything.

Gretsch Renown or Mapex Saturn Tour is where I'd go in terms of bang for buck.

Snare wise it's another vote for Worldmax. Their NOB snare punches far above its price band.

Sizes would be 22-26” virgin bass
13” rack tom
16” floor tom
Prefer a laquer finish or similar...no wrap
No real preference on wood or material.
Even considering vintage and re-finish them.
You’d be hard pressed to beat this at this price.

Order placed for Pearl Decade maple in Kobalt blue fade. Configuration is 24/16/13 and I order a 10” just because.
Now the wait begins.
Will post pics when here.
That's exactly what I did three years ago. I bought the 13/16/24 and added the 10 in tom. I think the Pearl Decade maple is an extremely good bang for the buck. Here's a video I made of the initial 13/16/24 kit with UT heads. Sounds way better with better heads-I've tried Vintage Ambassadors and Clear Emperors and both sound great. The shallow kick is punchy but tons of tone-as the toms full of tone. Right now it's stacked in my drum room with my lil Safari set up to play. I really like the bass drum-it's light as a feather. Buy some multiclamps to attach toms to stands (you can also use 13 in tom in snare stand (I mounted mine)-remember to buy an extra arm for 10 in tom-I had an old one. It comes with arm for 13 in. The snare is a Pearl Steel Sensitone in black lacquer. This is a crappy Zoom video/audio cam

Last edited:
Order placed for Pearl Decade maple in Kobalt blue fade. Configuration is 24/16/13 and I order a 10” just because.
Now the wait begins.
Will post pics when here.
Good deal and that is one pretty blue - if mounting, I would recommend to get the TH-1030 Gyro Lock series tom arms, they are sweet.

Can’t wait to see pics.

That's exactly what I did three years ago. I bought the 13/16/24 and added the 10 in tom. I think the Pearl Decade maple is an extremely good bang for the buck. Here's a video I made of the initial 13/16/24 kit with UT heads. Sounds way better with better heads-I've tried Vintage Ambassadors and Clear Emperors and both sound great. The shallow kick is punchy but tons of tone-as the toms full of tone. Right now it's stacked in my drum room with my lil Safari set up to play. I really like the bass drum-it's light as a feather. Buy some multiclamps to attach toms to stands (you can also use 13 in tom in snare stand (I mounted mine)-remember to buy an extra arm for 10 in tom-I had an old one. It comes with arm for 13 in. The snare is a Pearl Steel Sensitone in black lacquer. This is a crappy Zoom video/audio cam
Nice work GetAgrippa! I hear a little of that (In that low pitch) Topsy part 1 if ya know what I mean.

Cozy’s little lay on the snare on part 2 is some rare form!

Last edited:
I've played the pork bob at guitar center. I liked it better than a 6.5x14 black beauty. I've tapped on it a few times. I'm more than impressed EVERYTIME.

Back