Suggestions for drummerworld

Swissward Flamtacles

Silver Member
Just two ideas - no idea if the forum software can do that and if it would be too time-consuming, so excuse me supergrobi...

1) Threads can be rated (1 to 5 stars), so that people can easily find the best threads of each sub-forum by sorting by rating. Maybe 3 minimum ratings for a thread to become "rated". That would prevent a single user from messing with the rating system.
2) Threads that were started months ago have a "warning message" when responding, so that nobody wastes time. It seems to be a problem for some users but I really don't like the proposed solution to automatically close old threads, because lots of them are timeless and could be used for further discussions.

Last edited:
Cheers, glad to hear that you consider those ideas, even if they might not be doable (I don't know what the software is capable of)! :)
You may have seen those "zombie threads" that go like this:
2008: "Hi, which set for beginner?"
2021: a long response by someone who doesn't realize they are responding to a vintage thread
more responses until someone realizes that the OP hasn't been online in a decade
"Ah, it's a zombie thread - please close them like on Reddit, so that I don't accidentally do that again" :D

I give Swissward’s idea 4 stars, but I would have given him 5 stars if not for “ Maybe 3 minimum ratings for a thread to become "rated". That would prevent a single user from messing with the rating system.” which I don’t know why he is picking on me so I cut him a star. Now if he would offer me carte blanche lifetime “5 star” ratings for all my threads then my vote is 5 stars.

Well hell it’s Christmas I’ll give him 5 stars with no bribe- make up for when I had a brain hemorrhoid and confused him with Seafroggy. I had an episode with heat exhaustion and a brain fog for a few months back then.

I'd like to see a feature where the thread title is always visible without scrolling up. Sometimes I get sidetracked and forget what the thread started out as originally.

When that happens, OMG I have to move my fingers to the keyboard and push the up arrow until I can see the thread title.

I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this, physically it's exhausting and it's upsetting me terribly

Yeah there is "always" some damn forum member sidetracking threads so it diverges into parallel universes. I always fear some break in the space-time continuum from two universes occupying the same thread-time. It could be catastrophic.

We can give Zombie threads a zombie mark 1638735229337.pngor maybe go for a Larry David mark.1638735252511.png. Sort of a Scarlet Letter and warning it's old. LOL

Old threads have tons of relevant info, since the gear mentioned in those threads is likely owned by someone years after production stops on them. So no, don't remove old threads.

Ratings have no value and are subjective. I'm not going to not read a thread title that has a topic I'm curious about just because it's got a low rating. Nor would I read a thread about something I have no interest in, or isn't about gear I own just because it's got a high rating. Ratings are just passive aggressive tools with no value. This forum isn't a popularity contest, it's about information.

Every thread is time stamped. If one reads a response one can read the time stamp. Anybody who has responded to a zombie thread by accident quickly learns their mistake to next time read a time stamp.
The true beauty of old threads are a form of drum(forum) history. Example: "Tom angles" is a prehistoric thread, started in 2008, but is priceless.

Couldn't care less if a thread were rated. Don't need any more 'bestest' stuff from the internet to decide what to read.

Last edited:
I had no idea how unpopular ratings are (maybe I should have done a poll beforehand... :whistle: )

The idea is NOT a popularity contest (we already have "likes" for that, but I don't see that causing problems since the forum is pretty mature). The idea is to bring attention to good threads that are now hidden among the thousands of other threads.
Look at a sub-forum like "Drum Technique": that one is rather small, but there are still 400 pages of threads. Who looks through all of them? If users could award 5 stars to outstanding threads, it would be a lot easier to find the great threads of the past. Just sort by rating and you'll find a bunch of threads that at least 3 users (or @GetAgrippa and his two bots...) recommend.

We can already do something similar right now, by the way: Filter by "First Message Reaction score". That option is different however, because it's only about the first post and not about the whole thread. At times, the overall discussion or several posts by members like WhoIsTony are what make a thread great!

Last edited:
I'd like to see a feature where the thread title is always visible without scrolling up. Sometimes I get sidetracked and forget what the thread started out as originally.

When that happens, OMG I have to move my fingers to the keyboard and push the up arrow until I can see the thread title.

I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this, physically it's exhausting and it's upsetting me terribly
Help along the way....especially for you...

Just two ideas - no idea if the forum software can do that and if it would be too time-consuming, so excuse me supergrobi...

1) Threads can be rated (1 to 5 stars), so that people can easily find the best threads of each sub-forum by sorting by rating. Maybe 3 minimum ratings for a thread to become "rated". That would prevent a single user from messing with the rating system.
Seems like totally subjective depending upon the topic/brand/technique/question in the Original Post, not to mention that threads are living things, constantly changing. A thread about drum throne back rests to someone who is content using a trap case might be a 1 star thread, while - to someone with back problems that gets info that relieves pain- it might warrant 5 stars. Not to mention the extra time everyone would be asked to rate threads.
2) Threads that were started months ago have a "warning message" when responding, so that nobody wastes time. It seems to be a problem for some users but I really don't like the proposed solution to automatically close old threads, because lots of them are timeless and could be used for further discussions.
As others mentioned, every thread is date stamped so just glance at the original date if knowing when it was started is important to you.
Cheers!

As others mentioned, every thread is date stamped so just glance at the original date if knowing when it was started is important to you.
I already do that, but it has caused some slight commotions in the past for other users. I don't need it personally, but still believe it might be helpful to some without changing anything else for the rest of us.
I don't understand why anyone would want to. If I have a question I will use the search function and if I don't find anything, I will start a thread.
I also use the search function, but not everybody does. If the good threads are easier to find, I see that as an advantage for everyone, because information will be less cluttered and redundant. And of course everyone is free to read what they want - it's just another option.
Regarding the subjectivity: if a large number of users all agree that a thread is excellent, it becomes less subjective in my opinion.
Just one example: There are 10 pages of threads when you search for "double bass" in Drum Technique, but this 34 page thread isn't on the first page, even though it's full of timeless information. No reply since 2015, though... https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-bass-technique.2885/

I already do that, but it has caused some slight commotions in the past for other users. I don't need it personally, but still believe it might be helpful to some without changing anything else for the rest of us.

I also use the search function, but not everybody does. If the good threads are easier to find, I see that as an advantage for everyone, because information will be less cluttered and redundant. And of course everyone is free to read what they want - it's just another option.
Regarding the subjectivity: if a large number of users all agree that a thread is excellent, it becomes less subjective in my opinion.
Just one example: There are 10 pages of threads when you search for "double bass" in Drum Technique, but this 34 page thread isn't on the first page, even though it's full of timeless information. No reply since 2015, though... https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-bass-technique.2885/
Good points and valid ideas. For those posts where there is information that anyone deems 'more valuable' than other threads, it's simple to put it at the top of the New Posts list by reposting or responding to the thread. Or even copying/pasting into another thread as you have done here :)

Joe-Strummer.jpg

a point or ranking system. Outside of forum longevity and the likes.

i.e. reddit gives you karma. people can give you karma points on your post whether upvote or downvote and also on individual comments in posts.

For those who care about fake internet points. It brings up 'hot' posts to the top, or if its a dumb or shit post you can downvote it.

also, maybe have a filter so you can filter by 'new', 'hot', etc.

Back