suggestion - yeah another one....

azrae1l

Silver Member
how about a buying guide? not a gear review, not a comparison between brands and such or anything like that. just a simple (yet not so simple) list fo factors to help people decide what to look for..

drum kits
how wood density effects sound hard vs soft vs brass vs. steel and so on
construction, ply vs stave vs solid
factors on diam. vs. depth

cymbals
b8 vs b20, hand hammered vs pressed

heads
single vs double ply, vented, muffled, clear, coated

you get the idea

take out all the subjective "sounds better, brand stuff" and just the actual facts of what certain things do and how they effect sound. i replaced my snare heads today and i went searching for info on what to look for and the vast majority of the posts are what people like and preffer and not a lot of facts about the different properties of heads. granted there were some things scattered here and there but i ended up spending over a week searching and scrolling just to find out what type of head i wanted to try. just thought it would be good if there was one article to read that covered all the variables to help people understand how everything worked rather then millions of posts.

edit: knowing the people on here there probably is one somewhere and my little pea brain just didn't see it.....

Basically this site is just that. It takes a lot of reading and time, but almost anything made in the past 5 years has had some type of review. Check the Drum, Cymbal, Heads and Sticks, and Other sections and you will find almost anything you need. As I said it will take some time but after all that is what makes this place both fun and informative.

You are in the greatest drumming file, log book...of ever!

The biggest problem I see with gear questions on the forum are the ones that start off with, "What is the best.........." Fill in the blank. I try to ignore those because you get 25 answers that are mostly opinion and since we don't know the person and their taste, or their budget, those questions are all but impossible to answer.

That would be great, many hours i have spent searching the web for these answers, why not put them in one easy to find place.

The biggest problem I see with gear questions on the forum are the ones that start off with, "What is the best.........." Fill in the blank. I try to ignore those because you get 25 answers that are mostly opinion and since we don't know the person and their taste, or their budget, those questions are all but impossible to answer.

unfortunately it appears most of the forum is this way, which is why i thought it would help. even when somebody says "i'm looking to get this sound" still tons of people answer with remo is the best head, no, evans is the best head. thats great and all and i enjoy those posts looking at others point of views and hearing all the opinions on gear and especially looking at all the pictures... mmmmmmmm. when i want to know what a 10 mil 2 ply coated reso would sound like i hate wading threw 100's of "ec2's are the best, no, amb's are the best, i love attack and aquarian is my favorite" and maybe, just maybe after a few hours of reading and searching somebody will say 'well a 2 ply head will create this sound, coated will change it this way and the thickness means this". i think it would be very helpful just to be able to go to one article, read it and decide for myself if thats the sound i want and rather or not i should waste my money to try it.

then again it could also be very educational to those of use who really don't understand how all these different factors relate in the end. i would read that article just for the sake of learning rather i had a specific question or not. maybe it doesn't have to be a buying guide, just an article on how everything contributes to a drums sound.

i agree this site has got just about everything you could ever need in one place or another and it's basically became my encyclopedia for anything i wanna know about drums, but i would like to be able to find what i want quicker, easier and get back to fun stuff like drooling over other people's kits.

Back