Strange characters in the music biz you have known

pgm554

Platinum Member
Show biz has more than it's share of characters as a norm.
Name a few you have known with a why they are so.

I've have known a few ,but "Wade": was a cross between Holly Weird and Lost Wages.
At 18 he was busted foe 2 keys of coke and did 10 mos under house arrest (his parents were rich)
Was a producer with Greg Kihn for a while.

My oddest memory was we were at Casa Maria at the San Leandro marina for Sunday brunch when I noticed a container attached to one of his gold neck chains.
Asked him what was in it and he said a souvenir piece of his nose that fell out from doing too much coke.

I said ,yeah ,right.
He proceeded to take a cloth napkin,twist it to a point and shove it into a nostril to where it came out the other side.

Arte Lange was just a copy cat.
1661870832151.png

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Strange characters I've known playing music? Geez, talk about shooting fish in a barrel. I swear it's like the most talented folks out there suffer from mental illness. It's like the more talented they are, the more they suffer.

ravenson

Yup and I'm my name is probably on other folks' strange characters lists too .... Touring can bring you closer , whether you want to / like to or not .

Last edited:

pgm554

Platinum Member
Shared a house with a piano player that got out of the draft by being certified by the government as being mentally unfit for service.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
many of my crust punk/hobo/train hopping friends would be considered weird by most standards

there was a drummer in a band we played with back in te 80's who would eat anything you gave him...like anything...even non food items

most of the people in my country bands "world" think I am weird because I refuse to drink, and have never been drunk or high...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
many of my crust punk/hobo/train hopping friends would be considered weird by most standards

there was a drummer in a band we played with back in te 80's who would eat anything you gave him...like anything...even non food items

most of the people in my country bands "world" think I am weird because I refuse to drink, and have never been drunk or high...

Hobo? Train hopping? I have heard nothing of this phase…

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I'm trying to think of some strange characters but can't come up with any. BUT...i will say that musicians can be some of the most flakey..undependable..self centered..egotistical..bunch you could likely encounter.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Hobo? Train hopping? I have heard nothing of this phase…

it wasn't me - though I lived in and out of my van and peoples living rooms for a couple of years, but I have never eaten food out of a dumpster before

pgm554

Platinum Member
Colaiuta told me of his roomy at Berklee that showed up all coked up in the middle of the night and thought it would be cool to start chanting.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Far too many down the years.

Going through my music studies attracts some real characters like a moth to flame! They're generally completely harmless and there was only one wrong'un.

The biscuit winner is the guy who gave me a demo of him singing and making guitar noises on a Dictaphone in 2001. Six track demo no less with handwritten lyrics. The demo was converted to mp3 and is still one of the funniest things I own. All my bandmates down the years have a copy so whoever this guy called Warren is he's got a cult underground following!

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Skip Skiffington. I've never actually met the guy, but he is friends with Richard Christy, whom I have met, hung out with, and used his drums. While Richard is an extremely weird egg, Skip is just bizarre:

J.D.

Too many to count, but a standout who never failed to crack me up was a guitarist I had in CA named Tony. We played an outdoor gig in Tucson once, and got hit with a monsoon. (And yes, I had my Rogers, and they survived even that). The crowd was in a now muddy field, but they weren't going anywhere because they were mostly poor and we were giving away a few bicycles after we played (it was around Christmas). So crowd and band are now wet and miserable. We stopped playing. In the middle of the field, a car got stuck in the mud. Tire spinning, and kicking up a ton of mud. Tony went and stood on dudes bumper to give him traction, and while this geyser of mud is spinning off his tire, Tony leans over and sticks his face right into it. Just covered in mud (and must've hurt like hell). But it changed *everything*. We wend from wet and miserable to a mud party.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
It’s OK to be homeless, it can be a learning experience

it was one of the best parts of my life honestly...I already live a pretty "meager" life due to my upbringing, but it really showed me how much of our monetary "responsibilities" are optional....put on ourselves by nothing other than societal expectation. I gained the knowledge of many freedoms during that time for sure.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
For me it's just been the usual bar crowd who have drank too much & want to come up on stage & show you how they can play Freebird.

flamateurhour

it was one of the best parts of my life honestly...I already live a pretty "meager" life due to my upbringing, but it really showed me how much of our monetary "responsibilities" are optional....put on ourselves by nothing other than societal expectation. I gained the knowledge of many freedoms during that time for sure.
All of my crust punk/hobo friends talk about their life like a Siddhartha-esque journey and are, aside from pissed at the unjustices of the world, some of the freest humans I know. I've learned a lot from them just by being around them