Stick Tip Help

Pauly

Question for you guys,
I’ve been playing VF 5a American Classics, I’ve been shredding the tips very quickly, I tried a few pair of Wincent 5a’s they look like they went through a wood chipper after few songs. I was thinking about trying a barrel tip or round tip? Any thoughts? Recommendations?
Thanks!

It might be prudent to examine your technique. Are you wielding your sticks with a rigid grip and driving them into your hats and ride instead of maintaining a loose grip and relying upon rebound and feel to generate power? Do the tips of your sticks strike your cymbals at an unorthodox angle, which might promote premature deterioration? Are you inadvertently smacking the rims of your drums instead of maintaining clean contact with your heads? The solution may be in your hands, not in a different tip profile.

Last edited:
I know drummers that break sticks at the taper after a few songs (rimshots, striking the edge of cymbals), but tips?? That does sound like your burying the tips in the hi hat. Do you have a teacher?

Sorry should I shoukd of clarified abit. We play alot of variety Rock/Country/ect. As far as grip i switch back and forth from traditional to standard. I’m not a heavy hitter. The only time I really lace into it is on the ride to cut through the guitars. Maybe thats where it’s happening? I’m playing a Meinl Transition. I’m not breaking sticks, just going through tips. I thought maybe a barrel or round tip might help with volume and a little more clarity so I dont have to play so hard, hince saving on sticks.

Are your tips slowly wearing or chipping away? I used to have the latter happening on my Pro-Mark sticks (all but a few Phil Collins signatures with their rather large round tips) so much, I was suspecting my cat was chewing on them. A harder wood (like oak) or nylon tips, or maybe a bit larger tips, might help with your issues.

Are your tips slowly wearing or chipping away? I used to have the latter happening on my Pro-Mark sticks (all but a few Phil Collins signatures with their rather large round tips) so much, I was suspecting my cat was chewing on them. A harder wood (like oak) or nylon tips, or maybe a bit larger tips, might help with your issues.
I can second this issue with the Promarks. I love the stick but the tips do chip away rather easily and I am by no means a hard hitter, all of my cymbals are low and strike down on them not at the edge with the tip. Yes, I suck at drumming so there are errant rim hits on occasion, but I couldn't see that being the culprit unless I did it wayyy more often than I do.

The Vic Firths lasted a lot longer. When playing the Wincent’s I was pretty sure there was a beaver sitting on my shoulder!!!

From personal experience I guess technique too. The exercise that is helping me is using stick heights to determine volume rather than throwing harder or softer.
ProMark oaks have great strong tips. You can also soak the tips in crazy glue when they are new, it soaks into all the microscopic spaces in the wood grain and makes them last longer. The "skin" of glue left on the outside wears off pretty quick and after that makes no noticeable difference to the sound

I’m assuming it probably has alot to do with technique. I play with the tips alot, but like every drummer I know when your playing a song/groove you really like a person tends to play abit harder.

I’m assuming it probably has alot to do with technique. I play with the tips alot, but like every drummer I know when your playing a song/groove you really like a person tends to play abit harder.
I was just looking for the “MAGIC” Stick! 😂

Round tips, while I prefer the sound of the on cymbals, dent my drumheads in record time. So there's concessions to be made with round tips.

Barrel tips sound good too, and are easier on the heads

I'd suggest nylon tips as well. If nylon tips are out of the question, I'd suggest Vater sticks. 11% moisture content as per the striking tool industry as opposed to VF which have 6% moisture content as per the furniture making industry.

Striking tool industry products FTW. That extra bit of moisture left in the stick extends their lifespan by 100% I'd say, (compared to VFs) and the wood tips for sure last longer. I'd still recommend nylon tips though. This coming from a die hard wood tip user. That died hard but no regrets.
Nylons are a consistent tone

Back