Stick Companies.......The Big 4 (3) and..................

Too bad about Regal Tip if they shuttered.
I still have a few pair of their Jake Hanna sticks. It is my light gig stick of preference (or, was, I guess).
{{edit}} I checked out their FB page.... not looking like a company that's in business, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Too bad about Regal Tip if they shuttered.
I still have a few pair of their Jake Hanna sticks. It is my light gig stick of preference (or, was, I guess).
Yeah, it stinks.
I've got more sticks from trying to find a replacement(s). I'd probably never need to buy another stick. The problem is I haven't found anything I'm 100% satisfied with. I keep trying, though.
Given the current supply chain issues, I'm sure it would be a bad time for another company to try to use their (RT) designs. It would be really great if one of the other big companies licensed their designs. I would be pretty excited about a "RT 5A by fill in company here". I'm sure the wood and tips would be different quality, but I'd be willing to try them. RT could be paid for their stick designs.
I'm sure I'm oversimplifying what would actually be a very difficult/expensive undertaking.

I used to play RegalTip a LOT during the past years, they were really great, and yes, it is suprising that they somehow silently "went out of business". I have switched to VF since then but given others also a try, among them Los Cabos, Vater and Rohema. There are some other brands, like Agner.
It's called "When Dad dies and the kids take over-itis."

Not trying to sway you, even though I love mine, but there is also AHEAD. So that's 5(4).
This.
Many players are getting away from wood due to the deforestation concerns (and cost of always buying more) & going with synthetic options.
Each pair of my AHEAD sticks last well over a year before I have to change a sleeve out. And I have 2 pairs of 7a, 5a and 5b.
I probably will never have to buy another pair of sticks up to the time I stop playing.

It’s all in the head not the stick LOL.
Seriously I think the size stick is important to drummers ergonomically but the tip is all about the sounds they cajole from drums or cymbals. I can play a 2B, 5A, 5B, or 7A just fine but the tip is where I hear distinctions shape, wood or nylon.

This.
Many players are getting away from wood due to the deforestation concerns (and cost of always buying more) & going with synthetic options.
Each pair of my AHEAD sticks last well over a year before I have to change a sleeve out. And I have 2 pairs of 7a, 5a and 5b.
I probably will never have to buy another pair of sticks up to the time I stop playing.
News to me. Every other drummer I know personally who've tried Ahead sticks just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Also, the deforestation concerns are a lot less of an issue with companies like D'Addario/Promark, who've now planted more trees than the company has ever used to make its sticks. I believe they're going to continue with that effort, because really, it behooves them to be planting quality trees for stick materials in the future.

News to me. Every other drummer I know personally who've tried Ahead sticks just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Also, the deforestation concerns are a lot less of an issue with companies like D'Addario/Promark, who've now planted more trees than the company has ever used to make its sticks. I believe they're going to continue with that effort, because really, it behooves them to be planting quality trees for stick materials in the future.
I got my deforestation concern news from a couple different forums I've been on over the years (That I'm now gone from).
It seemed to be a common topic of discussion & their main answer to companies planting trees vs. sticks used is "they won't stop making sticks until those new trees reach maturity. So the deforestation will continue."
I for one am of the opinion (like you) that the tree issue won't be an issue like they think the issue is. Same for drum companies like DW planting trees for the kits they make. It's all a wash IMO.

I know the AHEAD "feel" is a big concern and I too tried & left them 10 years ago before going back. I'd still put them as a big component of the manufacturers but maybe not as big as some.

Will do, thanks.

Yes, when I found the Mexico video to post here, I watched again and was disappointed with the cut that happenes right before the critter appears. I thought that maybe they just shortened it, but now I bet it was for other reasons.

Scorpion Percussion is an excellent up and comer.

They use "weapons grade" hickory. Seems a little denser than VF.

Only wood tips but the wood tips last an extremely long time.

Great company.

Ludwig is still making sticks.
At one point they were a major player.
Love their 5 A 5 B and for corps their 3 s was the standard.

I bought a couple models of Innovative Percussion sticks from Chicago Drum Exchange this week while on vacation. The guy who rang me up said VF discontinued the AJ models even though they sold well at CME. Supply chain issues are real, maybe AHEAD will be my next stick trial.

Promuco (maple specifically) I own a good amount of (5A, 2B, 5B maples..
They're British . Sold at DCNH Portsmouth drum center, plentiful and have a website
I've been looking for Maple 5B options. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: jda
I also use some set sticks from Innovative Percussion, though they are mostly more focused on marching and concert/orchestral stuff

and my step son has some set sticks from Salyers out of Texas

I have also heard that Vater makes/supplied a lot of the smaller stick companies with their product, and then they put their name on them...

I mostly use vic 3a's now though

If you can’t comfortably play quiet jazz with 7As, then your technique needs work lol

If you can’t comfortably play quiet jazz with 7As, then your technique needs work lol

true....

I use 3 A's for all styles though. 7A's feel like toothpicks to my hands

Then practice rudiments with 7As until they feel comfortable too. I intentionally switch sticks all the time when practicing

yeah. I actually should do that....I think it would develop a better "finger touch"

Nothing about On Stage brand? :LOL: :LOL:

I found a pair of those in a "barrel-o-sticks" at Sam Ass for $0.99. I bought 2 pairs (because why not) and they lasted 1 song each. :oops:
Guess no signature brand endorsement for me...

I have always had a soft spot for Headhunters and Los Cabos, given their Canadian origin. Also, Headhunters have an interesting assortment of maple drum stick sizes I haven't seen in any other company.

It's called "When Dad dies and the kids take over-itis."
Joe Calato is 100. He is not dead. And his “kids” have been running the company for 30+ years. This is a complex story that is best not to comment on if you have no real knowledge.

Back