SPD-SX Pro

Romroll

Hi all,
how does the SPD-SX PRO synchronize the Wavs to the tempo as the "Tempo Match" function does not appear in the manual?
It is indeed with the "Tempo Match" that the old SPD-SX managed to make this synchronization, to do this it was necessary to declare the original tempo of the loop, its rhythmic signature and the number of measures so that the machine could stretch or compress the loop.
Thanks

Romroll

Hi Chris,
I have 2 uses of the SPD SX:
1) with my amateur band I trigger loops using the tap tempo on a dedicated pad, which allows me to be in place rhythmically without having a permanent click in the ear, this while maintaining a certain live tempo flexibility (for example, no loop on the guitar intro, no loop on the theme, then percussion loop on the solos).

2) in a practice session at home, I use loops (bass or percussion) and can adapt their tempo immediately depending on what I'm working on the drumkit. It's a luxurious use of the SPD-SX that really comes in handy for working at home.

I tested the SPD SX PRO in the store, it is overall much better than the SPD SX (sound, ergonomics, apps ++) but it's a NO GO for me if I can't stretch the audio in live conditions, which is a huge technical regression (in 2022!!!) especially given the price of the machine.

Chris, you were my hero for years after I saw you at the Arènes de Nimes in France in the 90's!!! Thanks

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Thanks.
Sure, but the SPD-SX Pro isn't designed to be a looper. I think most people were using it to trigger pre-made loops, and backing tracks.
I always used a click from the (old) SPD-SX, but I sometimes just followed the flashing tempo light on the machine.
In any case, I don't think the Pro version supports live looping in the way you want.
I don't think it's a 'huge technical regression' if it's a minor feature for most users.

Romroll

thanks Chris for your feedback.

it would be interesting to know if a firmware update could solve that or if there is design hardware limitation. Someone on another forum posted a feedback from Roland on this subject and I'm having trouble assessing whether this limitation is definitive or not.

I try to assess if it's worth waiting for this evolution or if I keep my SPD SX even if I am very enthusiastic about the new possibilities of the SPD SX PRO.

I agree that most users will not be impacted by the lack of audio stretching, however we are a few using this audio stretching feature according forums and youtube content or feedbacks.

Most of users will not use the 1500 sounds and all the incredible FX and the possibilities of layer A/B and routing and inputs etc. of this machine. I mean each user can be attached to a minority based on a set of needs. My minority is unfortunately poorly served :-(.

This limitation is all the more frustrating than the SPD SX PRO is brilliant and powerful otherwise (though quite expensive).

dmontron

thanks Chris for your feedback.

it would be interesting to know if a firmware update could solve that or if there is design hardware limitation. Someone on another forum posted a feedback from Roland on this subject and I'm having trouble assessing whether this limitation is definitive or not.

I try to assess if it's worth waiting for this evolution or if I keep my SPD SX even if I am very enthusiastic about the new possibilities of the SPD SX PRO.

I agree that most users will not be impacted by the lack of audio stretching, however we are a few using this audio stretching feature according forums and youtube content or feedbacks.

Most of users will not use the 1500 sounds and all the incredible FX and the possibilities of layer A/B and routing and inputs etc. of this machine. I mean each user can be attached to a minority based on a set of needs. My minority is unfortunately poorly served :-(.

This limitation is all the more frustrating than the SPD SX PRO is brilliant and powerful otherwise (though quite expensive).
I am one of the ‘minority’ as well.

I am actually surprised and disappointed that the Tempo Sync was not ported forward.

The Tempo Sync on the SPD-SX se is essential for the way I integrate samples and loops in to my performance; I improv and create on the fly and it provides an unparalleled flexibility to the creative process uncoupled from a DAW.

Just because ‘most’ users don’t use it shouldn’t make it any less necessary for the users that do use it. Feature rich shouldn’t be feature exclusive.

It is a step backwards and for the price an extremely short sighted omission on Roland’s part to an otherwise beautiful piece of kit. Hopefully it can be resolved with an update… although most likely it won’t be in our favour.

Adam B

I just got the SPD-SX Pro and to find out that the Tempo Sync function isn't even on it is a real bummer. Especially since it was on the original SPD-SX. I know that we can create perfectly timed loops in a DAW but I really don't want to have to use a computer to do something that should be built in to the sample pad to begin with. This seems like an oversight and I'm wondering (hoping) Roland will add this in a future software update.