Sound/feel level of Cy-12 and up vs Cy-5 or Cy-8

Essenter

Heyo guys
Couldn't find answer anywhere, so askin - because cy-5 and cy-8 are like 30% rubber and rest plastic, however cymbals like cy-12, cy-13 looks like they are 100% made from some kind of rubber I think - how different is that rubber from rubber used on CY-5 and CY-8?

The rear section (the part you don't hit) of the CY5 and CY8s are hard plastic (no rubber)

The CY 12s are all rubber. I wouldnt say there is a big difference in the feel of the rubber between them, but obviously the 5 and 8 have plastic sections at the back, whereas the 12 does not

The set up of these is usually: the 5 as HH, the 8 as a crash and the 12 is marked as Ride / crash

Last edited:
Heyo guys
Couldn't find answer anywhere, so askin - because cy-5 and cy-8 are like 30% rubber and rest plastic, however cymbals like cy-12, cy-13 looks like they are 100% made from some kind of rubber I think - how different is that rubber from rubber used on CY-5 and CY-8?
The rubber material (on the part you're actually hitting) should be exactly the same on all these models.
It's not until you go into the cymbals that come with the VAD series which are made from lighter/ more flexible rubber.

the CY12 and 13 feel a lot better than the 8 and 5 that's for sure. and since they have equal weight all around the cymbal they have a more natural motion. I had a TD11KV and I used to use the CY12 as a hi hat with the top screw real tight and use the CY5 as the crash because I gave priority to the hi hat feel rather than the crash. rubber wise they're the same but i think the CY13 and 12 have thicker rubber- not competely sure though.

Back