Sonor SQ2 wait times

DrummerJof

Now in month 9 of waiting for my new SQ2 kit and no sign of it on the horizon.

Dealer comms have been awful and can't get any kind of answer from them on what is happening.

How are others finding the process? How long have you had to wait for your drums?

My SQ2 order for a single tom took 8 months from day of order to date of delivery in 2020. I can imagine a full kit taking a bit longer.

Personally, if I had the means I'd order another new Sonor kit.

There's nothing like the feeling of opening up a bunch of boxes with Sonor Germany printed on the side of them.

Last edited:
I admire everyone's patience.

I don't mind waiting for add-on drums but I won't buy shell packs unless the dealer has stock.

Same here. I pre-ordered a keyboard once when it was announced.
The arrival date got shifted later more than a dozen times over the course of the better part of a year.
I got thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing, and made a firm commitment to avoid doing it again.

Walk in, pay my money, and walk out with what I bought is best.
But I will order something if it's in stock and ready to ship out right away.

Now in month 9 of waiting for my new SQ2 kit and no sign of it on the horizon.

Dealer comms have been awful and can't get any kind of answer from them on what is happening.

How are others finding the process? How long have you had to wait for your drums?

I really hate to hear this. Did you order odd sizes or finish? There seem to be quite a few options available right now.

Sizes and finishes were pretty standard (perhaps apart from the black hoops). Given the premium pricing you'd expect some kind of website where you can trace its progress
That would be a good idea. Having been through this process several times with Sonor and knowing the situation with post Covid issues, you check back in 1 year. That’s the time I’m hearing it’s taking.

Looks great. Love the finish. Glad the wait was worth it for you.

I can't imagine how many times I would have changed my mind, had analysis paralysis, regret, anticipation, etc. during those 11 months.

I was just playing with the SQ2 configurator yesterday because I found a new 18/14/12 SQ2 on "sale" for $5K (knocked down from $6K). It was maple thin shells with inner/outer Scandinavian Birch veneer. This pricing seemed off to me, so I built that exact kit online and got $4800 as the price. If you switch the wood from maple to medium birch, $3800. Beware of exaggerated pricing.

Amazing kits! Not sure what country you're in, but 11 months for an SQ2 kit really isn't that crazy these days.

time for a DW morning Musical Intermission

I admire everyone's patience.

I don't mind waiting for add-on drums but I won't buy shell packs unless the dealer has stock.
Yeah, if I were in the market, DCP, Sweetwater or Cymbal Fusion always have a couple of SQ2 kits in stock that would make my day. Two or so years ago I waited 8 months for delivery of a custom ordered medium beech SQ2 snare. At my age now, I may not be around by the time a custom order arrives from Germany.

WOW!

Sonor has amazing natural finishes. And I love the nickel hardware. Great choice all around. And I’m weirdly relieved nothing was broken/scratched/dented during shipping/delivery.

Sonor has some amazing woodworkers/craftsmen there. 👌

Back