Sonor (phonic) help.

How much do you wanna spend?
Dear Lord...anyone have a quaylude I can digest for a minute. Think the seller would split the kit up?. To me? Well worth 4 G's. I'm desperately looking for 18x22..8x12..14x14..16x16. I'd have them wrapped if different colors. I live on eBay looking for singles. I love that silver. My fave is the lavender they had. Blingy?..a bit..but coool. These responses are getting me all freakin hyped. For me..its Sonor or die. Phonic.

Dear Lord...anyone have a quaylude I can digest for a minute. Think the seller would split the kit up?. To me? Well worth 4 G's. I'm desperately looking for 18x22..8x12..14x14..16x16. I'd have them wrapped if different colors. I live on eBay looking for singles. I love that silver. My fave is the lavender they had. Blingy?..a bit..but coool. These responses are getting me all freakin hyped. For me..its Sonor or die. Phonic.
Phonics are not those sizes. The 22” bass drum is x14”. What you are looking for is Phonic Plus.

Best,

Magnus

Phonics are not those sizes. The 22” bass drum is x14”. What you are looking for is Phonic Plus.

Best,

Magnus
Hmm....well then..its a phonic plus bass drum and phonic toms. I saw an 18x22 phonic rosewood veneer bass drum on eBay for 450!..in super condition..i passed on it because I just bought the renowns. I'm an idiot!. Oh..18x22 phonic plus?. The seller had a 10x12 I was going to have cut down but I wanted perfection. That missed opportunity haunts me to this day. Can I say it one more time?..im an idiot!.

Hmm....well then..its a phonic plus bass drum and phonic toms. I saw an 18x22 phonic rosewood veneer bass drum on eBay for 450!..in super condition..i passed on it because I just bought the renowns. I'm an idiot!. Oh..18x22 phonic plus?. The seller had a 10x12 I was going to have cut down but I wanted perfection. That missed opportunity haunts me to this day. Can I say it one more time?..im an idiot!.

I get it that you want an 18X22, but the 14X22 has plenty of punch. Just those BD metal hoops are too darn heavy and rigid. Once you swap them out for wood hoops you’ll be all set.

Also I think a 14X22 would look great with the 12, 14, and 16 next to it. And fit better on stage as well.

How much do you wanna spend?
I'm led to Reverb quite alot when I Google in phonics. Someday...im telling you...someday.

Some things to consider when looking for those drums are, the Link era drums from the mid '80s have the desirable tom mounts, but you need to look close because the faceplate is often bent due to some monkey cranking down on the mounting screw. Sonors were designed to hold strong with just finger-tight tension. Ding dongs will always try to crank the shit out of them.

Also, Link-era drums with the Tune-safe clips will often rattle if tuned in the low range. It's the bigger sizes that are the usual problems. The rattling lug needs to be tweaked whenever you hear it.

The old drums always have rotten foam in the lugs. Don't touch it. Cut it out with a razor or it will stick to the inside of the lug.

You will also want to buy a lug or two, a couple of nut certs and a couple of tension rods for just in case.

You may want to listen to the deep drums if that's what you're thinking of. They don't have the same clarity as the standard Phonics.
As Brent mentioned, the 14x22 and 14x24 have a lot of punch.

Some things to consider when looking for those drums are, the Link era drums from the mid '80s have the desirable tom mounts, but you need to look close because the faceplate is often bent due to some monkey cranking down on the mounting screw. Sonors were designed to hold strong with just finger-tight tension. Ding dongs will always try to crank the shit out of them.

Also, Link-era drums with the Tune-safe clips will often rattle if tuned in the low range. It's the bigger sizes that are the usual problems. The rattling lug needs to be tweaked whenever you hear it.

The old drums always have rotten foam in the lugs. Don't touch it. Cut it out with a razor or it will stick to the inside of the lug.

You will also want to buy a lug or two, a couple of nut certs and a couple of tension rods for just in case.

You may want to listen to the deep drums if that's what you're thinking of. They don't have the same clarity as the standard Phonics.
As Brent mentioned, the 14x22 and 14x24 have a lot of punch.
It's taken years of listening to various recordings to come to a conclusion. B.T.O.'s down down had a small tom fill that made me lose sleep and I'm banking it's a shallow 12. Steve Smith's bass drum on his first video?..his red signature kit. Tom's were deep. The bass drum was nice!...also deep. Also listening to YouTube clips has given me insights into sizes. One YouTube video almost has me wanting a 24 again and that says alot. 14x24. I have no confusion on sizes. The shells have to be beech phonic.

Incidentally, I have this very nice Phonic kit for sale here in Sweden. Sizes are 13x9, 14x10, 16x16 and 22x14. I think the bass drum is the perfect depth. I am selling this kit only since I prefer smaller kits and already have a bop kit and a kit in 13, 16, 20. Both the smaller kits are in Oak veneer. The larger kit, up for sale, is in Rustic Oak, a slightly reddish veneer.

IMG_0096.JPG/Magnus

Back