Sonor 27ply 13" snare

Bozozoid

Hmmm...sounds real similar to my 5.5x13 3mm D.W. aluminum. I'm imagining various tunings and head selections. I'm a 13 fanatic. It doesn't top the 7x13 Brady lemon gum stave I'm hunting down like Ted Nugent with a crossbow.

Steve30907

Brian Spaun does a lot of the thick ply shells. Might want to check his stuff out if interested in a custom build.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cool 😎 I would predict it to be sensitive, focused , and bright but I thought the overtones near edge might be reduced. On edge it almost sounds like a metal drum. Probably tuning some .

dwsabianguy

Sometimes I wonder how manufacturers land on some of these specs. 26 plies, too thin! 28 plies, way too thick! 27 plies, juuuust right.

Drum sounds pretty great to me - it had more subtlety than I was expecting to hear out of such a thick shell, however, I would have liked to hear some different tunings, and some playing louder than mezzo-forte to hear its range. No doubt this thing can get loud without batting an eye.

Still, for my money, I'd probably rather have one of the Benny Greb snares if I was in the market for a 13" Sonor, however, I've already got a 13" DW Craviotto that sounds pretty similar...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Now I bet a solid steam bent beech drum of same thickness and design would sound different than this drum. Something about layers/plies in a drum (and what they are made-often a softer wood like poplar) and some boundary effects within the shell? I bet a stave of same thickness would also be different from either-even though all beech and same thickness. It's freaking voodoo and part science at work so magical LOL. I wish they wouldn't be different (maybe they aren't but surely that can't be true-it can't all be in our heads LOL). Just seems like ply vs steam bent vs stave seem like different drums to me-just like metal drums.

Steve30907

Now I bet a solid steam bent beech drum of same thickness and design would sound different than this drum. Something about layers/plies in a drum (and what they are made-often a softer wood like poplar) and some boundary effects within the shell? I bet a stave of same thickness would also be different from either-even though all beech and same thickness. It's freaking voodoo and part science at work so magical LOL. I wish they wouldn't be different (maybe they aren't but surely that can't be true-it can't all be in our heads LOL). Just seems like ply vs steam bent vs stave seem like different drums to me-just like metal drums.
Looking at the thickness of shell to do a one piece I'd think you'd have to hollow out a log.

s1212z

Sounds nice. I have a 15 ply birch and I feel the response already shoots out like a cannon, can't imagine 27. Some of the Ayotte 20 plys have sounded very good. I don't why this yields a ~$1400 other than because it is Sonor and cool strainer design. I think Pearl has a 20 ply in their reference and there are some lower price PDPs and Ludwigs.

Quai34

That is still weird for me, it's super massive, I feel drums as art work that has a "finesse" in them and that width doesn't feel that for me at all.