Some new gear at home : Gretsch 57

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I absolutely didn’t need a new kit, but sometimes you come across bargains you can’t let go. I brought it home yesterday evening, so just a teasing.

IMG_0016.jpeg

Last edited:
I was sooo tempted by one of these in the aquamarine finish when they were available from new but finances and worries that they wouldn't fit my bands image prevented me. Price? Just to make me feel worse :)

Hello, I was tempted too when they came out - more the black and white one.
So in the trunk of the car I put a full set of Motor City '57 22 10 12 16 14x6,5, brand new heads (though not the one I would have chosen) - Tom arm. A complete set of Sabian XS20, some sabian / zildjian splashes, a shit load of Tama Roadpro hardware, an iron cobra pedal, plus some accessories.
Ah and the limited edition seat, that matches the finish :D.
All that stuff for less than the price of a four piece kit Renown :) naked !

Last edited:
Too much gear at home now, I'm gonna check what I keep and what I don't. Clean the Gretsch, though it looks good as new, just a ding on the bass shell.

IMG_4630.JPGfullsizeoutput_748b.JPG

Here it is, as good as new. Build quality is excellent. all the drums are rather heavy - as heavy as my Signia. Even the tom arm is bulky and heavy.
The finish is beautiful in person.
I'm still in the cleaning process, I'm looking forward to play those babies.
First time with silver sealer - I must say ------ I love it !
I thought the shell were thin on the Renown, but they seem pretty standard.

Last edited:
Love it. I too wanted the 57 Chevy blue model, but couldn't get enough for my Renown to afford the new one. Have fun.

I always liked those 57s. great look!!!! The red and white really pops!

I must say that the colour is really nice, the red is deep candy red, Bordeaux with slightly metallic glow. I like more subdued finish though. I don't plan to keep this kit, but who knows, I may like it a lot ! The snare appeals me - I bet it sounds good.

Last edited:
So I finished cleaning the Gretsch, I tried it with the head I'm used to.
Emad on BD, Ambassador coated on snare and clear G1 on toms.
Pretty satisfied with the snare and the bass, but the toms are too bright, a lot of attack. I put a moon gel on each, and then they're too dead. I will try with pinstripes the drum came with.
The bass isn't as good as my Signia, a bit drier, but really great though. The snare is a killer : easy to dial in, nice harmonics, the toms, I really need to experiment, but I think coated G2 would be the right answer (I don't have in stock).

Here are some pic, the front one not being mine, but it's the same kit anyway. For the moment the kit is in the basement so, dull pictures sorry.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4659.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 35
All fitted with brand new coated G1, the sound is bright, controllable. It's really a wonderful drum kit. The snare is perfect, beefy, warm.
Funny detail : I've got three generations of Evans Logo on the toms ;-)

Attachments

• CjIKYwNmR7OUe5w8GBQoRQ_thumb_a85c.jpg
    CjIKYwNmR7OUe5w8GBQoRQ_thumb_a85c.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I don't think they'll ever re-issue those ones. It seems they had problems to sell them and the last kits they sold were - as I read - really discounted.
I thought the sky blue one was ugly, the red or the black were nice.

Last edited:
I stored the Signia for the moment - I can't have two playable kits in my room. I must must say, the Renown is definitely growing on me. The sound is mellower and longer than the Premier. It's a pleasure to play ; I generally don't like much the 10" toms, the Premier is lower but drier than the 10" of the Renown, and the Renown is a joy to strike with a long sustain, a nice ring. The BD isn't equipped with the same skin as the Signia, it's an Emad, it's drier, and it's sounds good too.
I changed the straps of the snare drum, for string, it's then a tad more sensitive, and the sound of this snare is really something I dig. The Renown is less aggressive, ballsy, with a nice ring yet controllable. I should get rid of the plastic washers also.
I first didn't plan to keep this kit, but now, I must say, it's a well made kit, with a beautiful sound, warm and rich with a perfect snare drum.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I absolutely didn’t need a new kit, but sometimes you come across bargains you can’t let go. I brought it home yesterday evening, so just a teasing.

View attachment 88593

I had a 6 piece set of 57s in the blue - it was one of the best kits I owned and selling it was a huge mistake.

You'll love it!!

Attachments

• IMG_0578 (1).jpg
    IMG_0578 (1).jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 18
So I finished cleaning the Gretsch, I tried it with the head I'm used to.
Emad on BD, Ambassador coated on snare and clear G1 on toms.
Pretty satisfied with the snare and the bass, but the toms are too bright, a lot of attack. I put a moon gel on each, and then they're too dead. I will try with pinstripes the drum came with.
The bass isn't as good as my Signia, a bit drier, but really great though. The snare is a killer : easy to dial in, nice harmonics, the toms, I really need to experiment, but I think coated G2 would be the right answer (I don't have in stock).

Oh and regarding heads - I used the Evans EC2 SSTs and they sounded amazing. Not dead at all. I have a video of youtube of just the tom / kick / snare that has something like 20k views and no dislikes haha - total freak of nature how good that combo sounded.

Back