sold a mess of stuff

someguy01

Platinum Member
So, much to wife's enjoyment, I sold a mess of gear over the weekend, gave some stuff away to a local music school, etc. Now I have but one drum kit, three snares, and down to just 4 pairs of hi-hats (5 when I decide on the two I posted in another thread).
With this recently liquified capital I shall finally replace my god awful cymbals. I had been looking at individual cymbals trying to decide on a grouping when I came across this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZilSweetPack--zildjian-studio-recording-box-set
I really like the price point for what I'm getting and I have to say, I kinda trust Nick's judgement as this is a set he put together.
Thoughts?
I need the whole shebang and I won't spend more than $950 for them all and I want new. Used drums, np, I have a serious aversion to used cymbals. Been burned like Peter Angelos on the Albert Bell deal so I'm good.

18" crash, hats and ride yep all day long! That 16" crash is the only thing that lets the set down for me. I'd ask how much for an upgrade to a 19" or 20" Thin, it would compliment the 18" better and they are far more versatile cymbals for gigging.

I'd always proceed with caution buying Zildjians blind, no 2 cymbals sound the same. Paying new cymbal dollar and getting a pig is as bad as getting burned buying used.

I did see this which I know is $140 above your budget but they are a lot more consistent and I use Zildjians! (picked and played first individually though)

I prefer Paiste for that very reason, they're just wicked pricey and my frugal nature makes my wallet hand seize when thinking Paiste sets.

18" crash, hats and ride yep all day long! That 16" crash is the only thing that lets the set down for me. I'd ask how much for an upgrade to a 19" or 20" Thin, it would compliment the 18" better and they are far more versatile cymbals for gigging.

I'd always proceed with caution buying Zildjians blind, no 2 cymbals sound the same. Paying new cymbal dollar and getting a pig is as bad as getting burned buying used.

I did see this which I know is $140 above your budget but they are a lot more consistent and I use Zildjians! (picked and played first individually though)
I also have a hard time justifying the 2002s since the pst7s are made from the exact same B8 alloy. The only difference is the hammering and that's mainly on the hats.

I prefer Paiste for that very reason, they're just wicked pricey and my frugal nature makes my wallet hand seize when thinking Paiste sets.
No pawn shops near you? They are cymbal goldmines here. I'm using near loosely. Near for me is like 20-30 miles just to start the search.

No pawn shops near you? They are cymbal goldmines here. I'm using near loosely. Near for me is like 20-30 miles just to start the search.
Too many rednecks so they're full of guns, fishing poles, and tools. I love me some pawn shop/thrift store shopping, but the selection is for shit around here in regards to musical equipment.

I also have a hard time justifying the 2002s since the pst7s are made from the exact same B8 alloy. The only difference is the hammering and that's mainly on the hats.

That's cool dude, we're lucky on this side of the drink, Paiste are cheaper than Zildjian here. 2002s are a different sport compared to the pst7s imho.

In terms of bang for buck the Zildjians win every time and the hats and ride are worth it on their own! (Ask about that 16" though!)

I feel obligated to speak up when I see this debate between PST7s and 2002s. For the record, 2002s are MUCH better than PST7s. Like, more than a little bit better.

2002s are pro grade cymbals and PST7s are beginner cymbals. The difference between the lines is about a big a difference as you'll find between any manufacturer's pro and beginner cymbals. PST7s are not "sleepers".

I say this having experienced both first hand. I went all-in on a set of PST7s last year but found them underwhelming. They were okay, but just okay. I soon replaced them with 2002s, which wasn't cheap but it was SO worth it. The 2002s are significantly better than the PST7s, and worthy of their good reputation.

I should add: PST7s aren't terrible by any stretch, I'm just recounting my experience. The extra lathing and hammering makes a whopping difference in this case, as it generally does when you move up and down any manufacturer's lines.

20191120_131414.jpg
20200519_120055 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I feel obligated to speak up when I see this debate between PST7s and 2002s. For the record, 2002s are MUCH better than PST7s. Like, more than a little bit better.

2002s are pro grade cymbals and PST7s are beginner cymbals. The difference between the lines is about a big a difference as you'll find between any manufacturer's pro and beginner cymbals. PST7s are not "sleepers".

I say this having experienced both first hand. I went all-in on a set of PST7s last year but found them underwhelming. They were okay, but just okay. I soon replaced them with 2002s, which wasn't cheap but it was SO worth it. The 2002s are significantly better than the PST7s, and worthy of their good reputation.

I should add: PST7s aren't terrible by any stretch, I'm just recounting my experience. The extra lathing and hammering makes a whopping difference in this case, as it generally does when you move up and down any manufacturer's lines.

View attachment 97790
View attachment 97791
What are the sizes you have here my friend?

What are the sizes you have here my friend?
I went with 14" hi-hats, 17-18-19 inch medium crashes and a 20" medium ride when I started out with PST7s. I added a splash, China and a 20" light ride later, using the light ride as a big crash. That worked out alright, truthfully.

I don't use them all at the same time but I now have 16-17-18-19 and 20 inch 2002 crashes, 15" sound edge hi-hats, 20 and 24 inch rides and a 10" splash to play with. I had been playing a lot of outdoor shows when I bought the 2002s and wanted a nice set of cymbals that would carry well in the open air.

Again, PST7s don't suck but the extra work that goes into the 2002s makes a huge difference.

Back