Snare Tuning ?

Tune it to where you feel it sounds the best tone-wise then adjust the wires to minimize the sympathetic buzz. I typically tune the reso of my snare pretty tight and even and the top mid range. That usually gives me a good solid tone to start with and I just tweak it from there to ensure everything is even.

Every snare will respond differently to tunings. There's no universal formula for eradicating sympathetic buzz. It sometimes occurs when a tom and a snare are in competing frequency ranges, but even that principle has exceptions. Making adjustments on an as-needed basis is the most prudent course. Following a uniform strategy can introduce more problems than resolutions.

The others' posts above pretty much say it all. If you wanted to be more exact about it, like you did your toms, try a fundamental note of G or G# for starters.

I would make sure that you don’t sacrifice your snare sound to get a good tom sound. I would do the opposite since your snare is the main voice of the kit. Get it happening and then try to tweak the two mounted toms until you have a sound you can live with. You won’t get rid of all snare buzz, but you should be able to keep it to a minimum.

I would make sure that you don’t sacrifice your snare sound to get a good tom sound. I would do the opposite since your snare is the main voice of the kit. Get it happening and then try to tweak the two mounted toms until you have a sound you can live with. You won’t get rid of all snare buzz, but you should be able to keep it to a minimum.

That's always my approach as well. My snare is king. Everything else is his servant.

I agree with what's said.

I suspect we're just theorising here about something that might not be a problem or too big of a deal.

Tune your drums to how you want them to sound. Then, if there is an issues with buzz that you can't live with(not everyone thinks it's a bad thing), you take measures to fix that.

Yes, it's about frequencies and resonance, but there are a lot of factors involved. Something like the room you're in will always influence your drums' sound and response a lot.

I get a super versatile all-purpose sound from my snares using 389 Hz for the bottom lugs and roughly 300 Hz up top. I never exceed 389 on the bottom as you're into choking territory much beyond that. I get very little sympathetic buzz that way.

How many snare strands are you using? I switched to 12 strands, or even less. I find the snare response is still excellent, and snare buzz is greatly reduced.

I had a 20 wire on there. I cut 4 off each side this morning and cannot believe the difference. Did you cut a wire set down or but 12 strand concert tom wires?
I cut down my wires as well, but I know you can buy 12 stands. Makes a big difference, that‘s for sure!

Sympathetic buzz happens, don't let it ruin your snare sound.

Always change the way you tune the rest of your kit first.

Back