Snare Strainer/Throw Comparison

VandelayNJ

I'm looking into a new aluminum snare drum - 5" or 5.5" depth. The Pearl Sensitone and Tama SLP are similarly priced with a couple of differences aside from the shells themselves: 10 lugs (Pearl) vs 8 lugs (Tama) and the snare mechanism.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these strainers?

The Pearl is the one that clips when the snares are engaged - does that affect durability at all? Is there any plastic used in that function that could break after a time?

The Tama seems like it has plastic on the tension knob but I can completely tell - plastic on these things just worries me in general as I don't trust its durability.

Would love to know what people's experiences have been. Thanks!

Another option to consider is a Sakae aluminum snare. If you look on Reverb I believe someone has stock they are blowing out for $250 ea. Screaming deal and the snare mechanism on those drums is superb.

Another option to consider is a Sakae aluminum snare. If you look on Reverb I believe someone has stock they are blowing out for $250 ea. Screaming deal and the snare mechanism on those drums is superb.

I asked the seller about these. These were made in 2017 - before Sakae went under and was later rescued by Korg. They are still brand new - they just have excess inventory they need to move.

On the subject of the snare throw, the Pearl's throw is a basic design - it's cosmetically different, but functionally very similar to say a Ludwig P85, or this throw, which is one I've used on multiple DIY snare drum projects:

Image result for snare throw off

The snare throw on the Tama looks like a Gibraltar R Class throw off:

Image result for Gibraltar R class throw off

Ultimately a snare throw off, unless you are doing some really fine-tuning, is a pretty basic part and it only serves one purpose - to pull the snare wires against the snare head with variable tension. You "can" spend a lot of money on those - I once bought a Trick 3 position snare throw for roughly $80, and the truth is, with how I use it, it's either all on, or all off - I could have spent $15 for a throw that would have done exactly the same thing. The trick throw is fancy and is built really well, but it serves the same purpose as the one in the top pic, even if it goes about it differently from a mechanical point of view.

Something else to consider, although I don't have a ton of time as a drummer - just 15 years at this point - I have yet to have a snare throw break on me, and my favorite snare, a DIY maple project utilizing the throw from the top pic, has been going strong since 2005. I did replace a P85 on a Ludwig Acrolite once, but only because it was starting to hang a bit and wasn't working smoothly - it was still functional. Ultimately, I rarely release tension on my snare wires - there's really not much of a need.

So with all of that ramble, I'm basically saying this: get the drum you want based on how the drum sounds because it's not likely you're ever going to have a problem with either snare throw, and both will be perfectly fuctional. And even if it does break, hypothetically of course, getting a new one to replace the broken one is a pretty simple, easy task.

I don't know if those are quite the ones on those drums. However, I think your summary is pretty spot on. I'm overthinking it. Especially as these are drums by two very reputable companies whose cheaper stuff is still very reliable.

I'm looking into a new aluminum snare drum - 5" or 5.5" depth. The Pearl Sensitone and Tama SLP are similarly priced with a couple of differences aside from the shells themselves: 10 lugs (Pearl) vs 8 lugs (Tama) and the snare mechanism.

The Pearl is the one that clips when the snares are engaged - does that affect durability at all? Is there any plastic used in that function that could break after a time?

The Tama seems like it has plastic on the tension knob but I can completely tell - plastic on these things just worries me in general as I don't trust its durability.

I can highly reccomend the Pearl 5x14. Fantastic sound, tuning range, build quality,
and overall performance for the price. I've had mine for 5 and a half years, and it's a keeper. The only difference is, mine has the SR-017 strainer, which I love for it's smoothness, and practicality. I don't think you can go wrong with that newer version that clip locks either. If you don't like it, perhaps you can switch over to the affordable SR-17 using the existing holes.

Ultimately a snare throw off, unless you are doing some really fine-tuning, is a pretty basic part and it only serves one purpose - to pull the snare wires against the snare head with variable tension. You "can" spend a lot of money on those [...] I could have spent $15 for a throw that would have done exactly the same thing.

Yup, exactly. I think Trick and other fancy throw-off's look really cool, but I've usually been perfectly fine with the cheaper ones that I can adjust. The only times I turn off the snares is if my drums are set up in a place where there's maybe a solo act or something before or after we play and I'm afraid the snares will rattle during their performance. Otherwise, they are on all the time.

So, if you scroll lower you will see my thread on the subject. I LOOOOOVE the sound and feel of the Tama SLP Dry Aluminum, but that throw-off... is the reason I didn't keep it. I went through 3 of them, 1 floor demo and 2 new out of the box, and had throw-off issues. One was just crooked, and all 3 wouldn't hold tension. I put a marker on the knob, played a song and it had turned a quarter turn by itself.

Now, there's two sides to every story I guess, I did have a Superstar snare that had the same throw-off (MCS70) and don't recall ever having issues with it. And others have commented not experiencing this issue with their own SLP.

But that is MY experience, with 3 of them... Take that as you may

As it turns out, I also have a steel Sensitone, the 8-lugs "Vision" version though. Cost me a third of what the Tama cost me. The throw-off? Solid! No issues. And the 10-lugs is supposed to have a better throw-off.

So what's my suggestion after all this? Just get a used Acrolite. Mine was 50 years old but with a new P85 throw-off, solid as a rock.

So often comes back to an Acro.

As it happens I have that damn Sakae on order now. $250 was too good for me to not give it a try.
Haha, I was just about to comment that you should definitely consider the Sakae for $250. That's a ridiculous deal for what is essentially Yamaha grade hardware.

Let us know how you like it!

Back