Snare drums - Favourite and recommend!

I believe a lot of people on here would probably be able to guess what my favourite is now.

Seriously , you cannot go wrong with a Ludwig Black Beauty, they sound fantastic, go with just about any finish and they hold their value really well.If you can't afford on, there are a lot of clones on the market; World max; Pork Pie; even the Ludwig Black magic series.

You also need to have a Ludalloy Supraphonic, definite reason it is the most recorded snare drum, they sound great !

I'd look around for an old Premier steel snare. They sound great, and if you're lucky it'll be pretty cheap.

I'll second that vote. Just heard a Premier steel snare at a live show last week and had to find out what the drummer was playing. Sounded wonderful and they're affordable.

AHA!....
I'll check some of this... But here in Denmark a Black Beuty snare is like 800 USD
Suprophonic is like 6-700 USD
Black Magic is a ittle cheaper - around 5-600 USD
They're hell expensive - but that's just me. Saw a black magic on a US website for 300 once..... WTF
Will check the premier ones..

I would recommend something from the Pearl Sensitone series. They offer different shells (brass,bronze,steel) and sizes. They are nice sounding and nice looking drums at very good prices.

Reactions: I-P
Mid 60's Supraphonic 5 and 6 1/2x14,the most recorded snare in history.70's 5x14 Black Beauty,imitated buy never equaled,mid 60's Jazzfest,mid 60's Slingerland Artist,47 7x14 Radio King,80's Tama Superstar 8x14.and 79 Slingerland Spitfire 12 lug 5x14 lacquered brass,80's Tama kingbeat 5 or 6 1/2 x14.I really can't pick just one but if you put a gun to my head....late 70's Black beauty 6 1/2 x 14 bronze shell will do it all and give you change back.

Steve B

Found out that the premier ones ( atleast the ones i can get my hands into ) costs way more than a Ludwig black magic, which is already pretty expensive..
I found a black panther snare for about 320 USD which is pretty cheap - I GUESS?
It's a chrome one in black i think.

What's your favorite snare?
- Which ones can you recommend for a guy not willing to pay alot for it?
- I play rock mostly - maybe even metal when im bored - also jazz.
- Steel/chrome/Cobber/Maple/birch/......
- Is Drumgear a manufacturer that is able to bring me good drum?

http://www.drumcity.dk/produkter/lilletrommer/drum_gear/14x6_drum_gear_staal_mkll.htm

The price is about 343 USD! ( not willing to pay much more than that )
Thinking about that one.. Comment!
Thanks in advance.
I know this is an old thread, but I can tell you for a fact that these Drum Gear snares are awesome. Mostly sold in Denmark, but also in Holland and Czech republic. These are hard to get by these days, but I managed to find a place that still has them - in case you are still looking for at great snare drum (who aren't, hahaha … ):

… or in English in case you don't read Danish 😆

I have 2 Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple 6x14 beatulfull sounding snare especially tuned high and a Ludwig Supraphonic that speaks for it self my favourite the Supra by a long shot its everything you want from a Killer snare drum.

Bo,

Do you have a link to a video with this drum so I can hear it?
I know you've got great audio technique and equipment.

Is it a little too bright, being brass + chrome? I'm considering a DW Edge 13 x 6.5 but the $625 is making me think 2x....

I would generally say a 4160 for my taste,m but then I saw the current price. Yikes!!

Pearl and Tama should have a bunch good mid priced options.

I'd probably just search on eBay for some of the usual suspects mentioned here until I found the right price for me. Whatever second hand that fits the bill.

There was I time when I used to have money and I bought all my snares then. Most of mine are pricey, but there's no lack of decent snares for a good price out there. Depends on what you want to use it for.

What's your favorite snare?
- Which ones can you recommend for a guy not willing to pay alot for it?
- I play rock mostly - maybe even metal when im bored - also jazz.
- Steel/chrome/Cobber/Maple/birch/......
- Is Drumgear a manufacturer that is able to bring me good drum?

http://www.drumcity.dk/produkter/lilletrommer/drum_gear/14x6_drum_gear_staal_mkll.htm

The price is about 343 USD! ( not willing to pay much more than that )
Thinking about that one.. Comment!
Thanks in advance.
I have a Mapex MPX that i got for $130 from GC. I think it's Maple but not sure. It sounds really good for Hard Rock nd Metal. I,put a Remo Black Dot on it and bam. Pretty nice. It holds tune too. throw a few Moongels on it though cause it's a bit ringy

I have Mapex MPX 13x6 Birch snare that I have owned for several years. I paid $135 for it. Peace and goodwill.

100_0584.JPG

I like the snare to match -the series- of the toms and bass-. So it the drum set is one whole entity not a "separate" entity.
I check that first and if it- the matching ensemble approach- sounds good then I'm thru looking.
So 1st choice is the matching.
And a I have a couple other "pets"

I like the snare to match -the series- of the toms and bass-. So it the drum set is one whole entity not a "separate" entity.
I check that first and if it- the matching ensemble approach- sounds good then I'm thru looking.
So 1st choice is the matching.
And a I have a couple other "pets"
Just a stupid question....say the snare drum is the same exact series as the toms....but with a different complimentary finish. Is that a no go for you?

Reactions: jda
nO different Finish is FINE- it's the construction (sound) comparability (Hoops, shells...

even the "year" can be different- you see how I do with my 2006 6P Broadkasters with a ..1965! 6p snare.
Same build to me regardless of finish

it's not a visual thing it's a sound thing
(altho the visual symmetry is "cute" (cosmetic) It's the compatible feel response sustain ping, etc- foremost.
thanks)
~~
Take another example; say some one has a early 70s Ludwig Clubdate 3P w/rings.
He/she picks up a 6L Pioneer and put's it with . So same 3P/ w ring all the way around..)

I think the whole metal snare drum thing Ludwig started was a Sales/pitch/attract thing.
Could say Buddy/ Gene many foundational others played "made their name" playing wood.
The 400 thing was for eyes ( "chrome sells" ) to the catalog/ Sales. May even go as far as the engraved 20s BB thing was a visual play for Sales.

Metal drum when the rest of the set is wood? Hmm metal drums were for marching- in the rain. (I'm being super (<-pun) funny now : )

Last edited:
The drummer in my current band usually uses a newish 14 x 5 Supra, but lately he’s been using a 14 x 5 Tama Superstar Maple snare that came with the little bop kit he got a year ago, and danged if I can tell a difference. I’m not saying there’s not a difference, and I certainly won’t say that either of them sound as good as my precious Ludwig and Ludwig 14 x 6 1/2 maple Standard from the late 30s, but I think ultimately we set up our drums how we like them.

Back