Slow practice really works

53Rockets

yeah...none of my kids live in a world of "whatever feels good works" until they have enough tools in the tool box to have that happen and not be detrimental to their overall success....the first thing I cover in my new parents meeting is how I teach old school....not everyone gets a trophy, and there will be constructive criticism in our activity. Everyone will not always leave feeling "hunky dory" or "peachy". Especially if they are not doing the work consistently. I tell the kids I will never lie to them and tell them they are doing great when they aren't...that is not fair to them in so many ways. There are boundaries at first, and then we expand them. They know this from minute one, and I also say "if you do not think that you or your child can exist in this kind of world, then I would possibly not consider doing this activity"...they know from the start where the expectation is.

In 30 years, I have only had 2 families decide to not be a part of our little world....I have actually had most parents thank me for "exposing their kids to some discipline"....
Correction is not criticism. I'm a personal trainer with the majority of my clients in the 50-60 age range, and many of them still take correction as a personal attack. I expect my drum teacher to correct me. If he doesn't, i assume he's not listening.
Correction is not criticism. There, i said it twice.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Correction is not criticism. I'm a personal trainer with the majority of my clients in the 50-60 age range, and many of them still take correction as a personal attack. I expect my drum teacher to correct me. If he doesn't, i assume he's not listening.
Correction is not criticism. There, i said it twice.

yeah....I always have to have a "speech" to the new kids about how our activity is rooted in criticism...constructive criticism...not Whiplash style idiocy.

And like you said, if the instructor is not fixing, than they are not instructing

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I had forgotten all about watching the videos of myself in conducting class. Thanks. You made a crappy day that much worse. LOL

always happy to serve!!! But yeah, repressed memories...