Slingerland Drums

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I was wondering the same thing. Radio King snares were supposedly to be available around this time last year, but then the pandemic screwed everything up.

cbphoto

Gold Member
My guess: They’re perfecting the build process. If they were acquiring tooling there could be a stall in their supply chain for some things.

Only a guess.

When is NAMM and will it be an open event?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My guess: They’re perfecting the build process. If they were acquiring tooling there could be a stall in their supply chain for some things.

Only a guess.

NAMM is never an open event. And in 2022 it will be in June.

this could be a bad time because June is Disneyland’s peak season. Every hotel will be selling rooms for $600 a night. So NAMM May be under attended because of this date change.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

Only a guess.

didnt they buy the tooling when they bought the name?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
NAMM is never an open event. And in 2022 it will be in June.

this could be a bad time because June is Disneyland’s peak season. Every hotel will be selling rooms for $600 a night. So NAMM May be under attended because of this date change.
"Summer NAMM is only open to qualified members of the trade. Attendees must be active NAMM members or invited by an active NAMM member to attend."

Registration starts in March.

I think if you ask right people "in the trade" you can get a pass. There are a lotta people that attend that you can tell are not members and not in the biz.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
"Summer NAMM is only open to qualified members of the trade. Attendees must be active NAMM members or invited by an active NAMM member to attend."

Registration starts in March.

I think if you ask right people "in the trade" you can get a pass. There are a lotta people that attend that you can tell are not members and not in the biz.

I get that. That still doesn’t make it an “open” event.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Was a time ...... 1990's/early 2000's ...... yeah ........ you could pretty much score a pass for $25 or so. Not so much, anymore. NAMM sells networking passes ....... for $500:ROFLMAO:

Thin Shell

The guy who makes Stone Custom Drums owns the old Slingy machines. He bought them from Gibson when they had the name and equipment but were no longer making drums.
He only bought the shell molds. Gibson never used them as they were using keller shells. I don't think Gibson ever owned those molds. I remember that auction and I am pretty sure they were being sold off by Gretsch or someone who was liquidating inventory for them. Gretsch owned the Slingerland name before they sold it to Gibson.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
He only bought the shell molds. Gibson never used them as they were using keller shells. I don't think Gibson ever owned those molds. I remember that auction and I am pretty sure they were being sold off by Gretsch or someone who was liquidating inventory for them. Gretsch owned the Slingerland name before they sold it to Gibson.
According to his website he bought the molds and tooling:

"Only Bernie Stone uses the original Slingerland radio-frequency shell molds and tooling. Stone Custom Drum has built its global reputation with the legendary “Chicago” 3-ply drums, “Niles” 5-ply drums, and “Super America” 9-ply drums."

Of course the link to the whole story on the site doesnt work or I would just link it.

It may have been Gretsch and not Gibson, it's been years since i read the story. Regardless, they weren't being used and now Bernie Stone has and uses them.

EDIT: It was Gretsch, just found a lengthy podcast where Bernie Stone talks about the acquisition.

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Bernie did some bearing edge/snarebed work yeeeears ago on a 7x14 stave drum that was amazing. Maybe my Brady 7x13 lemon gum block drum is within reach by the Bernmeister.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
A part of NAMM I wish they'd change. The crowds are SO bad now it almost makes it not worth it to go.