Simon Phillips signature sticks

HansBal

Are the signature sticks really what Simon Phillips is using?
I have heard that the sticks he is using are shorter so they can fit in a 16" stand-tom?
Does anybody know?

To quote Pro-mark:

“Choosing the right drumstick is all about feel. A stick's diameter, length, weight, type of wood, taper, tip and finish all determine the way it feels in your hand. There's a stick for every player and every style of music. To play your best, choose the stick that feels the best. After finding a size that feels good, you can confidently experiement with other models.

The diameter of a stick in your hand is the primary element in its feel. Length and weight are also important. Shorter and lighter sticks produce a more delicate sound and may require more effort to play louder. Longer and heavier sticks produce greater intensity and allow you to play louder with less effort.”

I’m 5’7 and I’ve been using promark 5bs for years. Recently been trying Vic Firth 5bs. I don’t think height has anything to do with with it.
If you’re a short skinny guy, as opposed to a short stocky guy this will also probably have an impact on what feels most comfortable? Musical genre will also be a factor. Most drummers prefer a medium stick (Simon being one of them). I’m 6’1” and large build and prefer VF STL’s for playing rock/metal. If I was doing a quieter gig I could quite happily switch to my Vater Fusion or 5B’s but I naturally prefer a heavier stick. I imagine my height and build do have an impact on what feels most comfortable to me? :unsure:

If you’re a short skinny guy, as opposed to a short stocky guy this will also probably have an impact on what feels most comfortable? Musical genre will also be a factor. Most drummers prefer a medium stick (Simon being one of them). I’m 6’1” and large build and prefer VF STL’s for playing rock/metal. If I was doing a quieter gig I could quite happily switch to my Vater Fusion or 5B’s but I naturally prefer a heavier stick. I imagine my height and build do have an impact on what feels most comfortable to me? :unsure:

Yes body type has more to do with it. Whether you’re a thick build or thin build. But it’s still not a perfect indicator of what stick is being used or should be used.
Dennis Chambers, before his health problems, is a large, powerful drummer. I’ve seen him in person. I don’t know how tall he is. Shouldn’t he be using large, thick drum sticks because he’s big and tall? He doesn’t. His stick is .551/1.4 cm in diameter.

Neil Peart seemed really tall, compared to his band mates. I’ll guess he was 6 ft. I don’t know. Should he have used a 2b because he’s tall? Nope. He used 747 style stick. .551 in diameter.

Elvin Jones seemed really, really tall. His signature stick is .512 in diameter.

Lars Ulrich and I are about the same height. He uses a .595 metal drum stick.

Some big guys want a small drum stick. Some lil guys like me want a bigger drum stick.

Thanks for all the replies, but there is still no answer if Simon uses the signature sticks, or other Promark sticks, or maybe even custom made Promark sticks...

Thanks for all the replies, but there is still no answer if Simon uses the signature sticks, or other Promark sticks, or maybe even custom made Promark sticks...
His website says he uses his signature sticks.
These say so as well, although the second one mentions he uses the model "FBH550TW" occasionally.

I played those sticks in the past as Ed Shaughnessy sigs and they are by no means lightweight.
It took a while for me to remember them,but light weight they ain't.

Back