Show us your storage solutions

Storing all drum-related things can turn into a jumble: round drums with different sizes, rectangular books, miscellaneous accessories...
I thought it'd be fun to see how people try to tame that mess. Since most people are staying at home right now, there's probably a lot of home improvement going on. Here's a shelf I just built from leftover wood.
Looking forward to seeing Bermuda's snare drum hangar. :)
View attachment 91847
Is that a Premier floor tom?
Ps. Your top left upright's not very upright. ( ;

Yes, it used to be a rack tom (14x10): https://drummerworld.com/forums/ind...-small-sets-out-of-old-premier-shells.166742/
I'll probably re-drill a thing or two - the edges I cut aren't really smooth to say the least and I was tired when finishing it, so I didn't pay as much attention towards the end. Also I didn't want to disturb the neighbors since it was getting late. I might just keep it that way though since it's built from scrap wood that lay outdoors for years. :D
That's Sterling board you've used there.
Premier lugs seem to be the best looking of all time. I've become fascinated by the mystique of the brand: unbeatable quality but low resale value. How weird...

Yes, it was a leftover board from my roommate. Hardware stores are closed right now, so I took what I found. Mahogany sets have some resale value if they are in international sizes but I also wonder why other brands are more desirable. I don't complain, though. :)

I've posted this here before. This used to be a "catch-all" closet in my studio. It housed a 5-tier file cabinet, a lot of junk and way too much wasted space. I used a lot of scrap materials from other home projects to build the shelving and left-over paint for finish. Voila.

Attachments

• Finish1.jpg
    Finish1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Finish2.jpg
    Finish2.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 57
  • Finish3.jpg
    Finish3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Closet2LoRes.jpg
    Closet2LoRes.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Closet3LoRes.jpg
    Closet3LoRes.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Closet4LoRes.jpg
    Closet4LoRes.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 58
I like the stout looks of these 4 space modular wooden cases (they're turned up-end here).
I came across this image online with no link, any clue where this model can be purchased?
7760e1557796002cb31820c99d29c168 (1).jpg

My storage solution is to own nothing drum-related that needs storage. All of my drums and cymbals are in my current setup. Everything else fits in my stick bag. I've been asked, "How can you own only one drum kit at a time? What if something breaks before or during a gig?" I've been playing thirty-six years and that's never been an issue. I don't like owning things I don't need. Every time I get a new set of drums or cymbals, I part ways with my previous set of drums or cymbals. I'm not a collector or a product addict. I can only play one set at a time. Everything else is a distraction that takes up space.

I am "lucky" in a way, in that most of my drum stuff is stored in the band room at school where I work. We use my drum set as the school jazz band kit, so it is always up and ready to go. Our percussion storage room is huge - the kids joke that I live there - so I have some space of my own in there.

Can't get pics cause the building is closed now...will do later

My jazz kit stays at our guitar players house since that is where we practice. Most of my extra stuff lives on shelves in the basement here at home...it is just one extra cymbal vault, and about 7 stick bags full of sticks and mallets I have collected over the years

We are planing on moving here in a few years, and when I get into a house (instead of this townhouse) I will have a waaayyyy more organized area in the "playroom" that I am planning.

Storage racks from Home Depot.

Attachments

• 8 wall of storage.jpg
    8 wall of storage.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 39
I like the stout looks of these 4 space modular wooden cases (they're turned up-end here).
I came across this image online with no link, any clue where this model can be purchased?

I think those are a now-discontinued IKEA item. I've been looking for those identical ones forever (used or another variant/maker) with no luck. And IKEA makes newer versions of a similar product but with different dimensions that don't fit snare drums! :(

My storage solution is to own nothing drum-related that needs storage. All of my drums and cymbals are in my current setup. Everything else fits in my stick bag. I've been asked, "How can you own only one drum kit at a time? What if something breaks before or during a gig?" I've been playing thirty-six years and that's never been an issue. I don't like owning things I don't need. Every time I get a new set of drums or cymbals, I part ways with my previous set of drums or cymbals. I'm not a collector or a product addict. I can only play one set at a time. Everything else is a distraction that takes up space.

You and I are in the same boat. I think we are minimalists at heart. I do the same thing. In with the new, out with the old.

Wow, this thread somehow escaped me!

I have stuff stored at home, and in the storage unit below. However, this shot is from almost 10 years ago, the road case are now in Al's tour storage and the formerly open space is completely filled with additional shelving and stacks of gear. I rarely source anything from there, so the high-density isn't an issue. Anything I might need is kept at the front and is more accessible.

_storage11.jpg

Holy Sh..... So when you go on tour, how do you decide what you'll take?

That's easy - I just roll my cases out of Al's locker! :) Any changes might involve the drums themselves or maybe cymbals, but all hardware stays the same from tour to tour.

There's almost nothing in there that I use regularly. All my local gear and supplies and parts are at home, and somewhat more organized.

I should add that there are five (or is it six?) complete kits on loan to friends, family, and one of my band's rehearsal place.

Back