Show us that one cymbal you just couldn’t live without

P

Peedy

And then tell us why you’re so enamored with it . . . maybe even why we should too.

(OK, fine, if it HAS to be hi hats we’ll count that as one for this thread).

Pete

Zildjian 20" K Custom Dark ride

I don't own it yet, but the plan is to have it this spring. Been wanting it for years.

Of the cymbals I currently own it would be my early 90's 15" Quick Beat Hi Hats

Easy - The Bosphorus 21" Ari Hoenig Lyric Series Sizzle Ride. I've noticed that sometime that call it a crash ride too.

This is probably the most comfy cymbal I've ever played and it was literallllly the reason I joined the Bosphorus team haha. It's very thin and feels amazing - the sound is almost hard to explain...it's got a great blanket of wash with a really beautiful stick click - certainly not a pingy cymbal at all. The rivets work perfectly with the style of wash it has - as the lower profile bell almost slides it into flat ride territory - so there's a hint of that crystalline vibe that flat rides have - but paired with a thin sizzley jazz sound.

Just absolutely top notch - and it does crash well.

Really the only thing it doesn't do is like CUT through big amplified music - but that's totally not the purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 5
The Zildjian A 16" thin crash. I've always owned one (when I could start affording real cymbals). It's not overpowering, it still cuts, but doesn't linger like a bad house guest. No pics, sorry. 16 is a nice middle ground as well.

Zildjian 20" K Custom Dark ride

I don't own it yet, but the plan is to have it this spring. Been wanting it for years.

Of the cymbals I currently own it would be my early 90's 15" Quick Beat Hi Hats
I do enjoy mine.
Great cymbal.

I could probably live without any one of my cymbals, as much as I love them, but I'd say the one with "that" sound I need most is the Sabian HHX O-Zone 16".
Perfect for quick accents, trashier than a typical crash but not quite as impactful as a china.

driver 006.jpg

Last edited:
The cymbal that I would say I need to keep is my favorite ride: a Paiste Twenty series 21" "Ride" model.
Love how it's such a versatile ride cymbal for different styles.

the favorite I own isn't one I play on too often it's a 22" Swish.
index.php

Last edited:
My 20" Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride. It is a great all-purpose cymbal. If I am only using hats and one cymbal it is almost always this one.

that is the 3rd mention of this cymbal!!

Hooray, another opportunity to recommend the fantastic Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail cymbals: http://www.cymbalistic.com/

As soon as I got the first one, my previous favorites (K Con and Istanbul Mehmet) were out the door. If you're looking for a great sounding cymbal for Jazz or similar styles, I can't recommend them enough!

Last edited:
Istanbul Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature 23" Ride.
It has the sound I've been chasing in my head for a ride cymbal for five decades. This is more then just the brand/model/size. I was looking at a number of Matt Chamberlain 23" Rides for several years but was never quite content with their sound until I located this exact cymbal on a video demo featuring four MC Signature Rides. I thought this one might be it. I set up an appointment with Memphis Drum Shop to audition it. It literally exceeded my expectations. It was like finding the Holy Grail I've been searching for all these years. Snagged it!MattChamberlain23InchRideLoRes.jpg

Wow, so many rides. There must be something wrong with me. I really like my ride and have never felt the urge to get a second one. But I've never felt passionate about it for some reason.

MY FAVORITE CYMBAL IS what I call my accent cymbal, a 1958 14inch A. Zildjian paper thin crash weighing in at 660g. I have cymbals that were way more expensive and would make other drummers salivate BUT this one just always seems to be there come game day while I'll mix and match all the other ones.

The closest thing on the market like it is probably a Zildjian K 14in. fast crash. Mine doesn't decay quite that fast and the tone is just a bit darker and I'm sure it was made for period jazz players. Bottom line is that I can constantly change all the cymbals around it but this one just always seems to fit in.

Pete

Top.jpgBottom.jpg

Took this pic for some reason 5 months ago. . . and there it is, in it's place of honor over the HHs.

Pete

PeteKit.jpg

Wow, so many rides. There must be something wrong with me. I really like my ride and have never felt the urge to get a second one. But I've never felt passionate about it for some reason.

MY FAVORITE CYMBAL IS what I call my accent cymbal, a 1958 14inch A. Zildjian paper thin crash weighing in at 660g. I have cymbals that were way more expensive and would make other drummers salivate BUT this one just always seems to be there come game day while I'll mix and match all the other ones.

The closest thing on the market like it is probably a Zildjian K 14in. fast crash. Mine doesn't decay quite that fast and the tone is just a bit darker and I'm sure it was made for period jazz players. Bottom line is that I can constantly change all the cymbals around it but this one just always seems to fit in.

Pete

View attachment 90058View attachment 90059

that is making me drool....

Back