Show off your Yamahas!

So I purchased a new 8" PHX tom from Yamaha back in September. It had to be manufactured which originally was supposed to take 6 months. However, I received an email from Interstate a week and a half ago that it was ready and was being shipped (a month early)..so while I was away on a business trip (to Mexico) last week my 8" tom came in..here are some photos...:)
unboxed
picture.php

8" tom on its own
picture.php

Full kit with 8" tom
picture.php

picture.php

IMG_0043_zpsb5tcpvjz.jpg

IMG_0045_zpshfwmo6jy.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsicwbjhic.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsicwbjhic.jpg

Here are a couple pics of my SC Yammys. 10, 12, 16 & 22".
The snare drum is a 14" Ludwig Element Birch.

Last edited:
My 9000 kit (bought 1987) 22inch Bass,10,12,13,15,15,Toms. Ludwig Black beauty snare.I use the kit in the studio, great sound!.

Attachments

• thumb_thumb_MVI_1263_1024_1024.jpg
    thumb_thumb_MVI_1263_1024_1024.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,500
Awesome kit Tony and watching some of your videos, it's getting played by a fine, musical drummer.

Hey Guys, I would appreciate your views and opinions regarding my new aquisition. Its a Tour Custom 18" x 16" Bass, 8", 10" and 14"FT.

I'm new to Yamaha and wanted the tours after reading great reviews. Forgive my ignorance but what are the fitted clamps for either side of the BD? Also on the BD tom mount there is a spare hole that looks like it would receive another tom arm. I only got hold of them today but Google images haven't helped me.

Thanks in advance.
Carter

Attachments

• 20171125_150059.jpg
    20171125_150059.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 20171125_150105.jpg
    20171125_150105.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 20171125_150114.jpg
    20171125_150114.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 20171125_150119.jpg
    20171125_150119.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 1,248
It looks like the previous owner made a small travel kit. The brackets are probably for bass drum mounted cymbal arms. Just my guess. I've done it on one of my kits, but only on the right hand ride side. The third hole can be used to mount the top of a cymbal stand.

Yes - someone added the side mount, probably for a cymbal. They don't come stock like that.

Edit: on second thought, I'm wondering if that 18 is a floor tom to bass drum conversion.
It could be done by adding spurs and the mount. Anyone know if that series of Tour Customs
was available with an 18" bass drum?

The 3 hole mounts are really cool. You can use it to mount a 3rd tom, or more usually a cymbal.
Someone here got really creative with them.
It looks like he reversed one, then stuck another one in, both in a stand - easier to see than describe:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1467902&postcount=24

Last edited:
Yes - someone added the side mount, probably for a cymbal. They don't come stock like that.

Edit: on second thought, I'm wondering if that 18 is a floor tom to bass drum conversion.
It could be done by adding spurs and the mount. Anyone know if that series of Tour Customs
was available with an 18" bass drum?

The 3 hole mounts are really cool. You can use it to mount a 3rd tom, or more usually a cymbal.
Someone here got really creative with them.
It looks like he reversed one, then stuck another one in, both in a stand - easier to see than describe:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1467902&postcount=24

That's a real ingenious way to get the most out of one stand! Having said that; I'm really tempted to sell my Pearl Vision VBA (and some cymbals) to fund and buy a Stage Custom, mostly because they sound amazing and compared to other series from other brands they're way cheaper. Also like their hardware, especially the before mentioned stands. Also a huge pro is I want 14x11 and 16x13 toms and with all my cymbals, i just need 3 stands to make it work (one for the 8" tom, crash and effect/splash, bass drum mount for 2 toms and splash, another one for ride, crash and cowbell and the last for the 2 two 'floors' and the china). Still debating if I should do it, but I'm really impressed by the drum gear Yamaha offers.

Not much to show off.

Colaiuta sig snare
Blue Swirl Club Custom snare

700 Series snare and ride stand on my practice kit.

After I've srpung for my full Gretsch Shell pack any extra kit will be Yamaha for sure. All the new series are great and apart from the PHX you get a lot for your money.

Ok, here's something to show off. And I really mean it, for once I got such drums I love to show to everyone. I sure went through lot of time and effort to make it so.

My drum kit is still a mixed one. Slowly and surely I'm changing everything into Yamaha 8000 turbo Tour Custom. The toms are already the real deal, sizes are 12"x12", 14"x14", 15"x15" and 16"x16", 18"x16" floor toms. The bass drums are usual 22"x16". One is Yamaha 5000 Stage 2 and the other is Power V. Both have 7000 series lugs on them. The snare drum is my self made custom snare. Its 14"x8" with 8mm birch shell, the hardware is form a Yamaha Recording Custom.

Most of my hardware is is Yamaha 900 and 700 series from the era. I'm specially in love with the 900 strap drive pedals, those sci-fi loudness delivery devices are just plain awesome. Very simple to setup and the feel is amazing. Powerful and fast and the wide footboard is very comfortable to play.

I'm still looking for another 24"x18" bass drum, I already got one. And also I'm missing 8"x8", 10"x10" and 13"x13" toms. I'm not planning to use them all at once, but I want to collect the whole catalogue if I can.

The drums are in custom made mirror chrome finish, the old Tour Custom was never offered in this finish originally. Love it or hate it, I think it looks awesome under lights.

4_vasen_zpshmeiwmcr.jpg

blue_zpsn9rdzulb.jpg

red2_zpsvthmnayf.jpg

11_pedaalit_zpstkciyhpu.jpg

dark_zpsfhjmjafu.jpg

I just recently updated my drumkit into something that I for once like to show off. I'm really pleased with the sound and the look of these things. The tom sound couldn't get better for the stuff I mostly play. Its no wonder why metal drummers of yesteryear often used deep toms. It just works.

I'm in the process of changing everything to Yamaha 8000 Turbo Tour Customs. I got the toms already, but I'm missing another 24"x18" bass drum, so for now, I'll be playing 22"x16" kicks instead.

My snare is self built custom drum, 14"x8", 8mm birch shell with Yamaha Recording Custom hardware. Toms are Yamaha 8000 Turbo Tour Custom from late eighties. 12"x12", 14"x14" and 15"x15" in front, 16"x16" and 18"x16" floors. The bassdrums are 5000 Stage 2 and Power V. with 7000 series lugs. The finish is a custom made mirror chrome as this series was never offered in it. I wrapped the bassdrums and the 18" floor tom myself, others had it when I bought them. Love it or hate it, mirror chrome looks awesome under lights.

Most of the hardware is old 700 and 900 series from the era. I'm specially in love with the 900 series strap drive pedals, the feel is just amazing. They're easy to control, powerful and fast. And the wide foot boards are so damn comfy to play.

Here's a rehearsal take of a song on which I play my current setup. This is the first recording made with them. Recorded in real old school way with one dynamic microphone about two meters front of the drums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgDNRmwCXs

4_vasen_zpshmeiwmcr.jpg
blue_zpsn9rdzulb.jpg
red2_zpsvthmnayf.jpg

dark_zpsfhjmjafu.jpg

2_etu_zpsr2k9fotx.jpg

Back