Show Off Your DW Kit

Pete is Elvis Costello's longtime drummer. I have his drums because they were available and for sale at Pro Drum Shop in Hollyweird a couple of weeks ago when I walked in there. Jerry floated me a deal I could not (and did not want to) refuse. I've always been DW-curious (how risqué, right?!) and these were the perfect set to dip my foot in the pool. They haven't disappointed.

Pete is Elvis Costello's longtime drummer. I have his drums because they were available and for sale at Pro Drum Shop in Hollyweird a couple of weeks ago when I walked in there. Jerry floated me a deal I could not (and did not want to) refuse. I've always been DW-curious (how risqué, right?!) and these were the perfect set to dip my foot in the pool. They haven't disappointed.
A cool story too?

Fuggetaboutit!

This just keeps getting better.

Great score, that kit could be in the RnR HOF...with some ifs satisfied.

Do you know if *your* set was used on any of EC's famous recordings? Or live?

DW curious is pretty funny, not sure how I feel about that but it is funny.

Can’t verify if Pete used this on EC recordings and I haven’t checked to see if it’s on any videos. I’m just going on what Stan and Jerry at the shop told me. Evidently, Pete brought the set in to sell on consignment.

EDIT: The DW-curious thing was poking a bit of fun at the level of hate many have toward the brand, as seen here and on other fora on the webz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drank the DW Kool-Aid pretty hard with the Pete Thomas set. Working on a new score that finds me jumping in an Olympic-sized swimming pool of that wonderful red drink! Here’s where I’m at so far... 6 more drums to go.

3F2070BF-95CB-4932-AAD8-52C1103C4DC4.jpeg

Ridin’ the DW avalanche... found another crazy deal yesterday on a beautiful birch set circa 2004. Grain is stunning. Only problem is the 18” deep bass drum, which looks especially weird (to ME, not judging anyone else!) considering the 20” diameter. Solving that problem by having Stan at Pro Drum lop 4” off the top, or front in this case.

0ADD1F11-1E4E-41E1-A38B-0032C2892A8C.jpeg

MusiQmaN, I think I might have been more inclined to leave it at 18" depth if it would have had the slide tom mount installed. There's just something about the rail mount and then all that real estate in front of it that was off-putting to me aesthetically. I do fully realize that I'm killing resale by chopping it, but at least I'm having it chopped by one of the best in the business, and since I intend to keep this set I want it to be exactly how I want it to be. Going to add a bass drum cymbal mount on it as well to complete the old school look with the rail mount.

MusiQmaN, I think I might have been more inclined to leave it at 18" depth if it would have had the slide tom mount installed. There's just something about the rail mount and then all that real estate in front of it that was off-putting to me aesthetically. I do fully realize that I'm killing resale by chopping it, but at least I'm having it chopped by one of the best in the business, and since I intend to keep this set I want it to be exactly how I want it to be. Going to add a bass drum cymbal mount on it as well to complete the old school look with the rail mount.

Then no harm done indeed.

As a lefty I always have a hard time with rail mounts anyway if they are not centered.

They are much more gig-able in terms of weight compared to the slide track ?

Got the birch bass drum back from Stan at Pro Drum today. Very happy with the decision to cut it down. Added a cymbal arm bracket as well. Stan had to go a bit extra to clear the spur holes, so it’s 13.5” depth now.

The centrally-located rail mount puts the tom too high for my playing preferences, so I’ll end up using a snare stand for the tom instead. No biggie there, and the consolette makes for a great handle to wield this thing about! LOL. Went “full Stan” and got the felt/packing tape job on the reso head to complete the aesthetic. Feeling like this one is a total win.

66FFEAA0-7030-4A12-AA22-76161C12E117.jpeg

93DE704C-8E73-4292-96D0-149B8656D4A3.jpeg

Alright, last one and I promise I’ll stop flooding the thread. LOL. Birch kit set up 12-14-20 with the cut down bass drum. Not shown are the 10 and the 16ft, which might get used on an occasional recording. The bulk of the work this kit will see will be in this configuration.

Kinda interesting to me how different the color is going from the light in the room to natural light. The natural lighting brings out more of a reddish hue to the wood. Pretty kit and I can’t wait to get it into some music.

F68E77E6-1260-497B-8ECA-23B6F46E215B.jpeg

1BDE357D-653F-4DA6-A647-2124ABFC2645.jpeg

Back