Show Off Your DW Kit

Got the birch bass drum back from Stan at Pro Drum today. Very happy with the decision to cut it down. Added a cymbal arm bracket as well. Stan had to go a bit extra to clear the spur holes, so it’s 13.5” depth now.

The centrally-located rail mount puts the tom too high for my playing preferences, so I’ll end up using a snare stand for the tom instead. No biggie there, and the consolette makes for a great handle to wield this thing about! LOL. Went “full Stan” and got the felt/packing tape job on the reso head to complete the aesthetic. Feeling like this one is a total win.

View attachment 102757

View attachment 102758
Wowww. What a kit!!!

I finally landed on my stack of joy!

Shout out to Dave's Drumshop for the rare 14x5 I got from him in a trade we did across the globe.

They are both 3mm cast aluminum shells without re-rings.

These originated from Bob Gatzen's mind, who took the concept to Noble & Cooley too (known as the Alloy or Alloy Classic).

DW switched to the models with re-rings when they moved to a new supplier, during the gold badge era.

580787AD-A6E5-45B2-9654-8621E466BC54.jpeg

Other parts and upgrades like the new Mini MAG strainers and 5p butt-end are coming in the next weeks.

I find them to be the perfect hybrid between metal and wood shells. Played more to the center, you get a dryer pitch. When moving to the edges, the ring gets more present.

If you play a lot live, or in the studio (where mics are used) these are the bees knees I think.

Last edited:
?

It's a 24" but yeah since it sits on a riser it appears a bit larger. And the camera lens is adding to this impression.

Thanks dude! My rack hosts:
  • Alesis DM5 (I'll add two of those guys to my set soon)
  • Yamaha TG500
  • Roland JV1080 with a lot of expansion cards (yeah, I'm a child of the 90's and am addicted to wavetable synths)
  • LA Audio CX2 analog stereo compressor (subtle pre-processing for vocal recordings)
  • Dynacord analog rotary speaker (I'm really into B3 sounds)
  • Bell bass preamp for DI bass recordings (although I'm planning huge mic setups in front of the Peavey/H&K bass wall)
  • 24 ch. patch bay for easy routing
  • Soundcraft UI24R preamp/converter/mixer/soundcard

The room is 8x8 meters with a recording booth in one corner which has the same size as the risers. Yes, quadratic room is bad because of doubled room modes but with the booth, the risers and the bass traps the low end is under control so it sounds very well and homogeneous.

View attachment 100681

Hardest part was to make this room usable for various, conflicting use cases: rehearsal, recording and mixing/mastering. But the plan worked out really well. The center of the room where the sweet spot studio monitor-wise is located is quite dead because I prevented reflections from the walls in that spot (the four white absorbers on each wall) and I'm sitting on a thick carpet under a 1x2m absorber under the ceiling. Walls are far away so the overall reflection doesn't interfere too much with the direct signal from the monitors. Recording the drums in the room sounds great because of the wooden diffuser panels. And the carpets, risers and bass traps produce a great overall rehearsal sound, no mud, no flutter echos, no reverberation - one can speak in moderate volume and can be understood everywhere in the room quite well. And everyone can hear every instrument very well. PA speakers (for keyboards, vocals, drum triggers) will be located in the corners on both risers facing the center of the room. Seems I'll get a pair of high-end slim Pan Acoustic speakers tomorrow those guys built for my studio :love: Warm regards to Udo!
I had forgotten my questions to you, sorry. Yes, I have the XV5080 with the 8 slots full. And ghenTX892 and the D50 etc...I am as well an 80's guy...8 m De 8 m is HUGE...image my 6 keys plus crimes, plus the guitar Amps and bass Amp plus room for 3 singers in a 16.5' X 12.5'... I do the mixing in the den, 3.5 m X 1.4 m, fully treated though...Sorry about mixing feet and meters, I just swap from one type of measure to the other deoneding on who I'm talking to in Canada...Hey, you talk road bike, you use cm, MB, inches...
But man, 26 feet by 26!!! Well, my two rooms together are 6,20 m X 8,50 m = 52,7 M2 versus your 64 m2...Instill have to install acoustic treatment in the basement though.
Picture of the Mixing room, still need some cloud over the mixing position, the other part is more with fewer panels and diffuser for a Live End / Dead End stuff for recording vocals...But still a hard time to convince my wife to let me put some stuff on the ceilling..."If it doesn't look good, it's NO!"

Attachments

• DSC_0001_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0001_DxO.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Studio Philippe.jpg
    Studio Philippe.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 10
Alright, last one and I promise I’ll stop flooding the thread. LOL. Birch kit set up 12-14-20 with the cut down bass drum. Not shown are the 10 and the 16ft, which might get used on an occasional recording. The bulk of the work this kit will see will be in this configuration.

Kinda interesting to me how different the color is going from the light in the room to natural light. The natural lighting brings out more of a reddish hue to the wood. Pretty kit and I can’t wait to get it into some music.

View attachment 102937

View attachment 102938
I love wood finishes, this one is stunning!!!!

Last edited:
Nice space! Yes a bit small but it's in your house and not next village (like it's for me..) and it is stuffed with great gear! Must be fun to hang around there and do some tracks. But since I moved to my own space I asked my wife what she thinks of the color combination and stuff - but in the end didn't give a damn :) Everything comes with drawbacks and benefits...

Thank you.

Here is a small demo:

3P on tight setting
Rim click
3P on low setting
3P on medium setting
Mini mag on off position
That sounds great. Great snare response and a lot of body. Hmmm...now my interest in a wood DW snare has been sparked! Maybe the added depth gives it the body I found missing in other DW wood shell snares.

Back