Should I buy this snare I want but don’t need?

Should I buy this snare?

• Yes, it’s a great deal on a really nice snare

• No, you have plenty of nice snares already

Results are only viewable after voting.

TK-421

I own four mid-to-high-end snares, and I like all of them.

1) Gretsch Brooklyn Black Nickel over Brass 6x14. This is my favorite and lives on my studio kit that I play regularly. It’s the best sounding snare I’ve ever owned.

2) Gretsch Brooklyn COB 5x14. This is my 2nd favorite, and my go-to gigging snare. It currently resides on my home kit, covered by an RTOM Black Hole to keep the volume down, but it’s ready to go for gigs at a moment’s notice.

3) Gretsch Gold Series Special Edition 5.5x14 maple snare. Sounds good, especially at higher tunings, but I’m not in love with it. Currently in my studio as an alternate main snare when I want a higher pitched sound, but I also use it on my bop kit for jazz gigs.

4) Mapex Black Panther Cherry Bomb Snare, 5.5x13. Has always been on my studio kit as a left side snare. I don’t play it a ton, but it sounds good cranked and has its place in a few songs that I routinely play.

All was well in snareland until I found a really good deal locally on a 5x14 Gretsch USA Bronze snare. I’ve never played a bronze snare, but it sounds great in the videos I’ve watched.

So now I want it. And I can easily afford it. But I hate buying things without a clear purpose, as I’m not sure how I would use it. I’m already super happy with my main studio snare, and I already have two snares that are ready for gigging (not that I’m doing that at the moment).

So should I or shouldn’t I?

Well?...you can pass on it and have it bug you for weeks...OR you can get it and be thrilled with it. 5x14 bronze!?.. I had a 6.5x14 ludwig hammered bronze that sounded great but I sold it. Thee biggest mistake I've made..why! Do people do this. 5x14 in my mind is even better. The warmth from bronze and the CRACK! From the depth..but a WARM crack....just the way I like it. If you don't get it you'll end up sipping a brew one night and the OVERWHELMING thought to get it WILL push you over the cliff.

Owning a Brass, CoB, and Bronze, I’ll say it has strength in the mid to low tuning range, and more of a woody, round tone out of metal snares.

Though I have a 6.5” Sensitone, it can be cranked, but the focus and body really shine when it’s tuned mid-low and can ‘bellow’ with ease.

If added to your stable, you can definitely make the bronze the baritone, or another distinct voice in your existing tuning ranges.

The gretsch USA bronze is a great snare.

Truly zero harm as if you end up not needing it, you can sell damn near instantly. I know mine did

Guys who need the metal snare that actually sounds like a woody snare have always impressed me as having way more musically sensitive ears than I ever will.

In my dream snare arsenal, there are three:

1. the very bright, metallic snare doing what only metal snares can do.
2. the deep shell, dark, woody snare drum doing what only wooden snares can do.
3. and the snare that matches the kit, catching that range somewhere in the middle, and blending best with the family of sounds.

But had I the money (and the ears you have) I'm sure I'd go for it too. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies so far. I actually saw it listed two nights ago and was intrigued, but initially blew it off since I really don’t need a 5th snare. But I keep thinking about it. And watching videos. And thinking about it some more. And the listing is still there, taunting me.

I don’t need it. I really don’t. But I might have to get it.

I mean, really? No one NEEDS more than a couple snares. We WANT more than a couple snares. Unless you plan to set them up in very different ways so that they're immediately available for very different sounds-- like a high end studio thing where you're making a record-- accumulating snares is more of a fun thing than a necessary thing. Which is fine.

Looks to me that the real hole in your collection is more in the wood snare department, no? :D

But I hate buying things without a clear purpose, as I’m not sure how I would use it.
Per your preceding position, abstinence is the only reasonable course. Buying the snare would defy your convictions on the topic. Temptation would overturn logic. Your value system would crumble. It's not worth the fallout.
I’m already super happy with my main studio snare, and I already have two snares that are ready for gigging (not that I’m doing that at the moment).
Further proof that you should slam on the breaks. Unless you think this snare will supplant your current favorite, it might just become a fifth wheel. Perhaps you could downsize by selling a snare or two to justify acquiring this one. Keep in mind that I never own more than two snares at once, so the concept of having five is hard for me to grasp.

The snare in question seems to have captured your attention but not stolen your heart. I'd hold off for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Per your preceding position, abstinence is the only reasonable course. Buying the snare would defy your convictions on the topic. Temptation would overturn logic. Your value system would crumble. It's not worth the fallout.

Further proof that you should slam on the breaks. Unless you think this snare will supplant your current favorite, it might just become a fifth wheel. Perhaps you could downsize by selling a snare or two to justify acquiring this one. Keep in mind that I never own more than two snares at once, so the concept of having five is hard for me to grasp.

The snare in question seems to have captured your attention but not stolen your heart. I'd hold off for that reason alone.
Darn it C.M., aka the voice of reason! Just as I’ve nearly decided to follow my heart instead of my mind, you jump in at the last minute to talk me off the ledge.

I have to say, I’m very intrigued and tempted to buy that snare. And part of the reason why I was even browsing snares is because of your recent adventures. But I can’t seem to get over the fact that I don’t really have a place for it at the moment.

So as tempting as it may be, maybe it’s better if I pass on it.

Then again, I could leave it up to fate. The ad has already been up for a few days. If it’s still available by Saturday, then that’s the universe’s way of saying I should get it. But if it’s gone by then, then it was never meant to be.

I mean, really? No one NEEDS more than a couple snares. We WANT more than a couple snares. Unless you plan to set them up in very different ways so that they're immediately available for very different sounds-- like a high end studio thing where you're making a record-- accumulating snares is more of a fun thing than a necessary thing. Which is fine.

Looks to me that the real hole in your collection is more in the wood snare department, no? :D
Well, I have two wood snares and two metal snares. So that sounds pretty evenly split, if you ask me.

But overall, I do prefer a good metal snare. So if I were to add one to my collection, I’d most likely prefer metal. But if I were to buy one to replace one of my existing snares, I’d most likely buy a wood snare and sell snare #3.

Decisions, decisions…

Then again, I could leave it up to fate. The ad has already been up for a few days. If it’s still available by Saturday, then that’s the universe’s way of saying I should get it. But if it’s gone by then, then it was never meant to be.
If it's still available Saturday, ask if they'll take 80% for it, be willing to go up to 85%. If not, it wasn't meant to be.

If it's still available Saturday, ask if they'll take 80% for it, be willing to go up to 85%. If not, it wasn't meant to be.
It’s a good enough of a deal that I have no problem paying what they’re asking. Plus, I absolutely hate it when I’m selling something at a great price yet someone tries to get me to sell it for even less. So I won’t do that to someone else unless they’re asking too much.

Fair enough. I never lowball, and if they say that the price is firm/solid/non-negotiable, I don't negotiate. But as someone who's sold, as well as bought, a fair amount of stuff, I understand that in the absence of that, it's understood that there's going to be some negotiating, and there's nothing untoward in doing it respectfully. And doing research, I've found that anything at or about 80% is considered perfectly businesslike.

My opinion is, if you have to ask the question of complete strangers on the internet, you've already got enough desire to buy and now you're just asking for people to agree with you to create cognitive resonance. Just go get it and tell us how much you love it.

Commit to “buy one, sell one”.

Decide which of your current snare drums you will sell in order to make room for this bronze drum. If you can’t decide, don’t buy the drum.

Back