Should I buy this snare I want but don’t need?

Should I buy this snare?

• Yes, it’s a great deal on a really nice snare

• No, you have plenty of nice snares already

Results are only viewable after voting.

TK-421

First, congrats on passing if you didn't think it was the right decision. Sometimes, if a person wants something, has the money, and can get it at a good price, that person doesn't always need to indulge. No matter what we all have, there's always gonna be something else out there.

How would you say a fiberskin sounds on snare as compared with a Remo Ambassador coated?
Thanks PorkPieGuy. Trust me, I was very, VERY tempted to buy that bronze snare. But I just couldn‘t get over the fact that I couldn’t think of a good use for it. That’s mainly because I’m so happy with my main studio snare, the black nickel Brooklyn. So in my mind, had I bought the bronze, I would have played it in the studio for a couple weeks, then I’d switch back to the Brooklyn and the bronze would sit in a corner except for rare occasions. Once that solidified as my vision for that snare, it became much easier to pass on it.

As for the FiberSkyn Ambassador, it definitely sounds warmer and “rounder” (for lack of a better term) than a coated Ambassador. It also offers a slightly mellower attack. So where a coated Ambassador sounds bright and crisp, a FiberSkyn Ambassador sounds warmer and mellower. But it also had more overtones than I was expecting, so I added a small piece of moon gel to keep them in check. However I really like these overtones more than what I was getting on my coated heads, as the coated heads imparted more high pitched, harsher sounding overtones, while the FiberSkyn‘s overtones are lower pitched and mellower. I’m loving the way my maple snare sounds now.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
As for the FiberSkyn Ambassador, it definitely sounds warmer and “rounder” (for lack of a better term) than a coated Ambassador. It also offers a slightly mellower attack. So where a coated Ambassador sounds bright and crisp, a FiberSkyn Ambassador sounds warmer and mellower. But it also had more overtones than I was expecting, so I added a small piece of moon gel to keep them in check. However I really like these overtones more than what I was getting on my coated heads, as the coated heads imparted more high pitched, harsher sounding overtones, while the FiberSkyn‘s overtones are lower pitched and mellower. I’m loving the way my maple snare sounds now.
I just put a Fiberskyn Ambassador on my Black Beauty, and that's exactly how I'd describe it as well. It's a very cool sound for sure.