Session Drummers

Basically, there are only the top guys. Not enough independent work to support many more than them.

Things were different in the '60s, '70s and even '80s when a lot of band's drummers weren't really studio-ready, and 'ringers' (ghost drummers) were brought in. But the overall skill of drummers has really escalated in the last few decades in particular, so they do the recording with their bands, and a fair bit of recordings now are simply done by a guitarist/keyboardist/producer who don't really need a live drummer. There's not much left for the independent studio drummers.

Bermuda

Whereabouts you're based may help unless you're looking for someone to do via the internet and what sort of music as well.

One of the bands I used to play in have used Nick D'Virgilio a couple of times and been extremely pleased with the results but you may consider him one of the top ones.

There are a lot of us out there, but as has been mentioned, work is reasonably sparse. I have a couple of studios that I will step in for if they want live drums (which is more than you would think!) but more often than not it's picking up sessions in a live sense for a gig or two to cover injured or unavailable drummers in bands, or (very very very occasionally!) you might get a backing band job for a solo artist.

me

what do you need, and where do you live ?

PM me

I am surprised there are not anymore of these responses.

I'll do it if you pay for my plane ticket, shipping cost of my drum set, hotel room, food,...

its pretty much what I do for a living so why not get the details ...ya know

:)

I may have mis-read something, but I didn't get the impression that the OP was looking to hire a drummer. "I am currently looking into some session drummers. Could you name session drummers other than the top ones?" sounds like he's simply curious about session drummers who aren't so well-known.

Bermuda

"Looking into some session drummers other than the top ones." You answered your own question. Just go to Google and type in "session drummer." If they are not a top drummer, then you've found who you're looking for.

I do a fare amount of session work. Mostly for independent bands and artists no one has ever and probably will never hear of. As stated before, there isn't much work and most people that call me are guys who play every instrument on their recording except drums.

I may have mis-read something, but I didn't get the impression that the OP was looking to hire a drummer. "I am currently looking into some session drummers. Could you name session drummers other than the top ones?" sounds like he's simply curious about session drummers who aren't so well-known.

Bermuda

Unless he doesn't have a budget for a top one but just wants a reasonable job done at a reasonable cost, in essence it's not clear though and I don't the OP's responded since his initial post so looks like we're all wasting our time responding anyway !!!

Back