Same new drummer, another dumb question

wraub

Gold Member
Hello all...
...In a recent thread here Pearl drums I saw mentions of "tom bounce", and had a thought:

Does this mean "response" from the drum re: the stick (bounce back), or

Does this mean the actual drum itself reacting in opposition to the stick (swinging/wobbling on the mount)?

Thanks. :)

He means the toms don't bounce or wobble enough after he hits them. Most would say that toms moving around is a bad thing, but I can understand the desire to have some "give" to them.

That's what I though was meant, and, I also feel like bounce or wobble would diminish energy delivered to the drum.

That said, I could see how "too" firm could be too firm.

He means the toms don't bounce or wobble enough after he hits them. Most would say that toms moving around is a bad thing, but I can understand the desire to have some "give" to them.
I thought the whole point of good hardware was to hold stuff rock steady?
Isn't that why Gibraltar gear is called Gibraltar?

Who really knows what anothor person means?

I guess were just talking about suspension and resonance, which certainly are true when it comes to physics and sound, but what each individual desires is a different thing.

This would be the cse for me with snares,. Many of mine fall in the dame caregory, but if it's an overall thing that's needed, I'll rather choose a drum with the right level of resonance than mess around too much with dampening. Gives a better result to my taste unless that for if extreme effect is the type of sound I want.

Because rack toms are the only part of the kit that tend to ring LESS than most people want, not more.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit. I'm not talking the toms are rigid, or suggesting they should be. A little movement is okay. It's the toms that act like bobble heads when they arent even being hit. I dont think that is necessary.

I have come to the conclusion that I like toms that don't move.

I see it as "lost energy" from a stick hit that could be used to excite the drum heads, but is being lost to extraneous movement.

Much as on a suspension bicycle that flexes as you pedal and move, the motive energy is lost, somewhat, to unnecessary flex when it should be directed to moving a rider forward.

Last edited:
Snare drums dont bounce. Floor toms dont bounce. Kick drums dont bounce. Why do rack toms need to bounce?

Yeah, a moving drum makes little sense to me. That's another reason I keep my rack tom in a snare stand. The stability is similar to that of my snare drum.

I've also heard complaints that a snare stand inhibits a tom's resonance, but I've never noticed that to be a glaring detriment. A similar point: All drums need to resonate, but we put our snares in stands without worry. Why get worked up over toms? To me, a tom that resonates too long sounds incredibly sloppy. I'll take an abrupt attack over a lingering moan any day.

Back