Sabian XSR vs. Zildjian S Series

Drumolator

Platinum Member
These "semi-pro" cymbals seem to be getting better and better. I have never played either of these, but I have heard a few XSR cymbals in person.

So for those of you who have heard both, which is better? Please explain why.

I have XS20 14" Medium Hats that I like quite a bit, but of course those are no longer current. Peace and goodwill.

Even though I like the XS20/XSR series, I can't really see the market for these midrange cymbals. They're just too close in price to the real deal. Maybe schools and such that need to buy a larger volume of cymbals and don't want them to sound completely shite?

I did a gig with a band the other week and their drummer has a set of S series. They sounded more than good enough for the type of music.

Sure if you're recording regularly or a jazz cat then they're not going to be as good or complex as a set of Ks or Byzance or something, but they made a crash noise, they are loads better than B8s and they're affordable.

I've got some mid range Istanbul Mehmets, and I don't think they're any better than the B12 S series or the XSRs

The only negative is that snooty drummers will know you've bought cheaper cymbals, the average punter at a gig won't notice or give a toss.

I was looking a the S series yesterday because I want a 19 or 20 inch crash and Istanbul don't make one in the Samatya range, so they're much more expensive.

I did a gig with a band the other week and their drummer has a set of S series. They sounded more than good enough for the type of music.

Sure if you're recording regularly or a jazz cat then they're not going to be as good or complex as a set of Ks or Byzance or something, but they made a crash noise, they are loads better than B8s and they're affordable.

I was looking a the S series yesterday because I want a 19 or 20 inch crash and Istanbul don't make one in the Samatya range, so they're much more expensive.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the S range, the thinnest models are great. Wouldn't use any of the heavier models, they start to sound cheap then.

Only problem for me is that you can get As/AAs for not that much more.

VitalTransformation said:
I can't really see the market for these midrange cymbals. They're just too close in price to the real deal. Maybe schools and such that need to buy a larger volume of cymbals and don't want them to sound completely shite?

This is my stance on mid range, I'd be buying real deal 2nd hand. You're paying for the Zildjian/Sabian sticker.

I had the XS20s for several years. They were fine at first, but they aren’t full bodied cymbals. Pretty one dementional, so depending on the genre they are fine. They don’t work well for finesse work at all, since they don’t open up unless hit harder. With that in mind, they sounded better to me than the XSR line or Zildjian S series. Still, for a few dollars more each, you can get way nicer cymbals.

These "semi-pro" cymbals seem to be getting better and better. I have never played either of these, but I have heard a few XSR cymbals in person.

So for those of you who have heard both, which is better? Please explain why.

I have XS20 14" Medium Hats that I like quite a bit, but of course those are no longer current. Peace and goodwill.

As far as I'm concerned XS/XSR are pro line cymbals.
The negatives being size limitations and weights.
The sounds of the individual cymbals across weights can vary too.

As for the S series ,I find the sound a bit bight and the "feel" of the cymbals a bit brittle.
For high volume music with no need for subtlety ,they will work.

Are they a good all around gig cymbal,no.

I think the key to whether a cymbal is pro quality or not is its complexity and versatility in different styles and at different volumes. Regardless of cost, if I can make a cymbal do whatever I need it to and the sound is pleasing at all levels of playing and volume, I am interested.

Re: Sabian XSR vs. Zildjian S Serie

Well, what figures into the equation are all those B20 cymbal brands that are similar or lower in price than the "midrange" offerings of Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste. Like Dream, Stagg plus Masterwork/Soultone and a plethora of other "Turkish handmade" cymbals probably made in the Masterwork factory. Most of these are more interesting to me than the XSR or S-series models.

Back